What temperature is your CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 27, 2003.

1. mike2h

mike2h New Member

alcohol is cheap & easy. just do not use someting like a cotton swab that can leave filaments. sponge sticks(like for tape head cleaning work well). i you have a good electronics store something like blue shower(my choice)or any other electronic cleaner spray would work great.
    bios agrees huh? bummer. i was really hoping that was it.
    ht has little to no effect on temp.

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

appreciate what your telling me now stuck on what to do?appart from try new h/s.

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

get the adapter, reclean & paste cpu, make sure heatsink is firmly & evenly installled, attach that adapter, check ALL fans, & let it run for a day or 2 to let the paste 'set'. then check your temp under load. let us know what happens & we will go from there.:)

4. Optimummind

Optimummind Banned

The kit that I bought came with a CPU cooler block (unlike Internet purchases). After taxes, the whole thing cost me $246.00. The only thing extra I had to buy to set my rig up was a medium-sized wire cutter.

5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx for info.
    considering i had to wine to get my mcx 4000, with my wife asking me what was wrong with the perfectly good cooler(she had a point) that came with it, i think i would be dealt serious bodily injury if i brought that up.:)

when are you going to run your clock up? i am REALLY curious to see how high you can get that. seems like most of these p4c are topping out around 3.4 with realistic cooling & being able to use it all the time.
    anyway let me know what you get.:D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  6. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

now dropped to 44c before trying adapter.

7. Optimummind

Optimummind Banned

Since my 2.4GHZ 533FSB CPU didn't die together with the mobo, I was only able to get the mobo exchanged. On the positive side, all of my other components survived too (9800 Pro, HDDs, RAM).

I noticed that my northbridge chipset can get very hot if I overclock beyond 2.7GHZ. So, until my Swifttech MCX-159 Northbridge cooler (5200 RPM, 6.4CFM, 18dBA) arrives, I won't be doing any overclocks beyond 2.6GHz. It's also unfortunate that the DDR:CPU ratio funcion seems to be not working properly. :( I hope Soyo fixes that soon with a BIOS update.

8. Optimummind

Optimummind Banned

Here is the pic of the Swiftech MCX-159 NB cooler. [​IMG]

9. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

10. mike2h

mike2h New Member

Optimummind

:eek: is right! was it a fairly easy install? mainly i was wondering about removal of stock northbridge heatsink.
    do you have an estimate ofwhat your pre & post northbridge temps are?
    that would look really cool siiting on my mb next to my mcx4000. be kinda like dr evil & mineme, or batman & robin or....:oops:

hope they do fix your bios issue soon. got to wonder about qa on that one.:hmm:
    you know you can pick up a 2.4c for about $170.;) you should be able to find some suc.. er, i mean someBODY who will by your current cpu.:evil:

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

johnybravo

it is a start. hopefully running that fan at 100% all the time will give you another couple of degrees. still think you ought to reinstall that cooler.

here is a good guide from our very own wyrethewolf, this is in the oc/mod section if you have not already seen it :-

Well, I have been asked a few times what is the easiest, best way to apply thermal grease to a heatsink. So I have decided to write up a quick guide on exactly that subject.

I don’t know if this is the best, or the fastest way to do it. But, this is the way that I do it... and it works just fine for me.

Now the idea is to get the thinnest, most even layer of thermal compound only where the CPU core will contact the HSF. This will give you the best possible heat transfer from the core to the heatsink.

You will need the following:

-heat sink
    -thermal compound
    -clear (thin) tape - and test to make sure the tape doesn’t leave anything behind.
    -Straight edge (I use a razor blade, be careful)

First step is to tape off the area where the CPU core will be contacting the HSF. If you are not sure where the CPU will contact the HSF, you can put a small amount off thermal compound on the CPU core, and do a test fit. That will give you an imprint of the CPU core on the HSF, and show you where you need to mask the HSF.

Next, place a small bead of the thermal compound into the middle of the taped off area.

Next, using the straight edge (razor blade) smear the thermal compound around until it fills the taped off area.

Lastly, remove the tape... And there you have it. A perfectly even, and thin layer of thermal compound. Exactly where it is needed.

Good luck!

12. Optimummind

Optimummind Banned

Re: Optimummind

I haven't received the part yet from FrozenCPU.com. :( But, since I ordered it through their 3-day UPS shipping, I'll probably get it either tomorrow or Monday (unless UPS does Sunday shipping). The cool thing about the MCX-159 is that it can be attached to their mobo in two different ways. One, through the holes near the NB chipset (which would require partial mobo removal), and two, by using the latches that hook on to the mobo (I prefer this way).

By the look of it, the installation seems like it'll be simple. I'll be sure to let you guys know once I get my hands on that sweet-looking thing. :D

13. Duranix

Duranix New Member

amd athlon XP 2400+ @ 2227mhz (default 2000mhz)

i get around 25C idle, and about 32C under load.

14. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Barton 2800+ @ 2255 mhz up from 2080 mhz. (12x200mhz)
    About 25 idle and 35 under load.

Currently, my heatsink is easily the loudest fan in my rig, at about 25 dB... I won't be doing anything to it, but next time I get a new mobo/cpu, I'm trying for something quiter.

15. Sandok

Sandok New Member

36 idle CPU and 26 idle Mobo

54 load CPU and 28 load CPU

My CPU temps change quite a bit don't they? :eek: Should I be scared? :confused:

This is in a 22-23 degree room :bleh:
    Oh ya and this is on a 3GHZ Northwood with HT oced to a little 3.3GHZ.

Still, 18 degrees! A big gap :uhoh:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  16. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

A64 AMD 3200+stock on a Giga GA-K8NNXP MB.
    Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 w/ 2 80mm Case fans

Idle Temps:
    CPU-36
    MB-40

Load Temps:
    CPU-44
    MB-44

Sandok what program are you using to get your temps? Or are you using a multi-meter?

17. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I'm using Asus Probe.

The thing is, my CPU fan spins at 2500ish RPM and if I make it go up to 4800 RPM, the idle goes down to 34 and the load goes to 44 making only a 10 degree rise which is still alot but then my ears die :lol:

18. TJ-

TJ- New Member

i to got asus probe---

cpu at full load (100%) for over 2 hrs is 48 right now, uasally sits at 43-44.

mb right now is 40, and thats what it uasally sits at.

The most my cpu has been is just above 70, which is pretty high...
    mb almost always stays the same at about 40-45

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Wow, OLD THREAD! Maybe start a new one???

Highest I ever see is 43c .... Idle is around 33c to 37c depending on room temp. I have an 80mm adjustable thermaltake blue led light fan on the Thermalright SLK900A Running at about 3900RPM....

20. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

i idle @ 32-33ish, and full load priming around 45ish.