What the best distribution for a N00B? to learn?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Mar 18, 2006.

1. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

What the best dirtrobution for a N00B? to learn?

....It's been quite a while.....It's that time again...When I take a stick ad
    take yet another poke at useing linux

I was thinking of linspire (Debian-based) but I dont know...what the best distrobution
    to try for someone who looking to try to play games and do everyday stuff? would
    help being simular to windows as like linspire is....

Last distrobution I tried was quite some time ago and install of linux mandrake
    that worked fine for two days, I did nothing but look around after the second
    reboot it "kernel paniked" I don't know how to fix it so it was th end of my
    adventure...

2. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

you could try Ubuntu. Easy to install comes with a wide range of programs already install and has a huge database of easy to download/install programs.

I think I may install it right now.

3. x0ph3r

x0ph3r New Member

I second that. Ubuntu is great for beginners, and more experienced users. :)

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I third that. I'm using Ubuntu, SUSE, and Fedora and I must admit that Ubuntu was actually easiest to install and start with. But you won't fail with either of those three.

5. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Definetly Ubuntu. I'm learning on it right now, and it is pretty nice that way. Support for is is also great too (seems better than the other distros) which is more important that the OS, probably.

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

shoul I try the 5.10/ the last stable , or try the 6.04 beta? (it alot newer)

7. Pottsy306

Pottsy306 New Member

out of all the linux distros Ubuntu is far the best at the moment. Its based on debain which means its easy to install new programs. Unlike Fedora and SUSE its not bloated with loads of programs, and the community support is #1

8. RIV@NVX

5.10, as 6.04 beta has some problems and you might get wrong impression about Ubuntu generally if you look at it as final release.

9. Pottsy306

Pottsy306 New Member

i cant remember the last time i used a non beta linux version. Always using the unstable beta's. However they give nifty things like XGL

10. RIV@NVX

I used to do the same thing, but finally settled recently on using SUSE 10.0 final. I don't miss any new stuff from 10.1 betas except maybe KNetworkManager, but... I can wait.

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i cannot seem to get the Ubuntu to update easily, but if you have a better internet connection than mine you probably won't have any problem with the Ubuntu updating. and if you have a high-speed internet connection you can easily download and try out many other Linuxes out there. many Linuxes have GUI installation now, so they're easy and fast to install...

the SUSE 10.0 for x86_64 is also a very good Linux, defaults to KDE desktop, easy to use and understand Linux desktops, maybe a few weeks of using it, hopefully it would almost like a Windows OS to use.
    the built-in YaST2 online updater of the SUSE 10.0 and its mirror sites are pretty good and fast i can have it done under my slow internet connection. i won't need to use yum update under this Linux.

i like Fedora Core 4 (built for ix86) the most, i think it's just complete for what i wanted to see and use on Linux.
    even though the Up2date built-in service does not go well with my internet connection, but the OS and software packages updating can still be done easily with yum and some of pre-downloaded packages from the official servers. update the FC4 on more than one machines in a networked are also easy. and you can also use both yum and apt to get more software packages if needed.
    the FC4 install CDs comes with too many softwares, so you may have to spend some time with it before you can find what software packages you're really want to install and use them.

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

I've yet to install, how would you go about updateing a install?

Reason I asked about the beta is it likely gp the latest drivers, apps, etc...
    the less leg work for me the better for example I notices 5.10 has the an openoffice
    beta, and 6.04 has an openoffice final... yes i could update it but still....

13. RIV@NVX

Don't worry about that. OOo in 5.10 is new enough and similar enough to final version. Believe me, I used it.

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

you would use Ubuntu's built-in Update manager, once you have installed the Ubuntu and the system up and running you can do an automated update using the built-in Update manager, or with the Synaptic package manager (which is same as using sudo apt-get install commands) for updating or install more software packages.

any build of Ubuntu will do, i don't want you to worry about these things at this time, really.
    don't mind me saying this... most likely you will install the Linux more than one time, you will not be able to get it to work so well for you at the first time. if you want to use Linux you'll want to know a lot of things about it, how things work in Linux and so on, and sometimes these things takes a lot of time to learn. until you have some of the things of Linux, then after picking the distro/build that suit you best you can then set the Linux system up again real good, and then keep it.

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

Crap tried to install boots to CD , loads some things tells me some message
    the 1st I resloved as it was invavlid IRQ for something I swicthed my mouse to PS2
    solved that message. The other is the device (something on PCie buss) probe has an
    invalid IRQ... I'm stuck at this point as the install stops

(trying the x64 version 5.10)

my system specs:
    ATI X1900 XT 512MB, AMD 64 "X2" 4200+ , Asus A8R-MVP Radeon Xpress 200
    (Crossfire), OCZ EL "Platinum" 2GB (2 x 1GB) @ 2-3-2-5-1T, HITACHI Deskstar
    T7K250 250GB W/8MB Cache,Sound Blaster Audigy 4, ATI HDTV Wonder, NEC
    16X DVD-RW Model: ND-3540A, Rosewill 450W ATX 2.01 Dual Fan PSU

I stuck in a 20GB Maxtor for instaling linux to for now (VS partitiong my main drive)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

lol, don't give up man. maybe try loading BIOS default. normally don't see any problem while installaing Linux, FreeBSD or even Solaris.
    but you use many different hardwares than mines, and has no experience on the problem either, so can't help. maybe try downloading other distros.

17. RIV@NVX

If your HW is so new, then 6.04 might be a better choice, but be warned - it's still not even close to final.

18. Pottsy306

Pottsy306 New Member

i like 6.04 - it needs work, ive had numerous errors. The flight 5 disc is also outdated quite abit, with over 120+mb of updates :s

i gotta say though, i never like FC, but FC5 is pretty damn sweet. If only it had apt-get, then....not that yum isnt as good, but i just dont like different repos files, it gets muddled. And apt-get dist-upgrade just ownz

19. RIV@NVX

That's normal with a dev version :)
    I agree; I'm using it on my laptop ATM and it's really sweet if you are GNOME person... (If you are a KDE person, then SUSE is muuuch better.)
    Nothing beats apt, but new yum is really usable, I must admit. It's also much improved in terms of speed compared to 2.4, at least from what I have seen so far. I need to try it on something bigger like full update to be completely sure, but so far it seems improved.

20. The_Neon_Cowboy

hmm xcould it be I have plug and play OS enabled?
    Vs disabled an the bios sets te IRQ's

Should I be useing the AMD X64 Version? or should I
    use the regular i386 Version?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006