What video card is good for Digital Video Editing system?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Jincuteguy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Jincuteguy

Jincuteguy New Member

Hi guys, if I want to get a video card for Video Editing computer system, what would it be? Should I get one from Nvidia? Ati? or matrox? (let say money is not important)

And which one wouuld be for $500?

2. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

Ati's AIW seems to be pretty good for capturing with a bit of setting up/ tweaking using one of lord smurfs guides..depending on if you want avi or mpeg2. www.lordsmurf.com
    From what I've been reading though a vid card has less impact on video editing compared to a good p4, lot's of ram, a good fast large hd just for capturing. You didn't say what you'd be doing but I'd concider getting a standalone device like the
    Canopus ADVC-100 it keeps the sound synch'ed with the vid and rarely drops frames if your doing vhs to dvd conversions.Cost around 250 but doesn't come with any bundled capture software. If your looking for capturing live feeds as well the
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 might be a decent choice. You can look over a bunch of reviews at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capturecard...y&price=&Search=Search&toprate=Top+User+Rated

The above link should help you decide whats right for you, as well as some user set-up tips in the comments.
    G'luck.

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

small addition to above post i would say a decent video card from either brand with 256mb onboard ram.

4. Jincuteguy

Jincuteguy New Member

so I have to get an accelerated OpenGL card right? not 3D accelerator. What about the AIW cards fro ATI? are they accelerated OpenGL? or 3D? I thin 3D.

5. wertret

wertret Still watching...

As stated above the video card is not as important as you ram/super speedy HD/cpu power, the card what you need is a editing card. Best ones are from pinnacle being the TARGA 3000 the professional choice (superexpensive). Take a look here: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=91&Langue_ID=5 I use to work with one of this babies and they rock, combined with a decent SCSI disk array you can edit all the video transitions and effects in real time.

6. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

There are RCA to USB video capturing devices for doing the same thing without the need of a new video card. They run around 70-100 bucks, maybe higher. I can not vouche for their quality but they look to be very handy. All the softwre to capture and etc are on the USB device itself.

7. Jincuteguy

Jincuteguy New Member

What about the Nvidia Quadro FX cards? aren't they really good? I thought they're good for video editing. Cause most Professional computer system I saw at alienware have those cards. Can the Quadro FX do real time like the Targa thing u said?

8. wertret

wertret Still watching...

Quadro fx and firiGL cards are for 3d animation, nothing to do with video editing :)

9. SafirXP

SafirXP New Member

i suggest a matrox parhelia or quadro fx 3000 card with a matrox rtx card! :D

you'll be flying in adobe premiere & after effects!