What Was Your First-ever PC Video Game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Let's be very clear about this: I'm not asking about video games on consoles or anything prior to the 386 Processor. That eliminates any C-64/Amiga and other forms of gaming.

When I first bought my AST DX-33 back in '91, I wasn't even looking for a PC. I went to the local Circuit City to get a hard-copy FAX machine! (I detested the thermal paper kind!) When I found out the going price on one, the salesman pointed me to the PC section and informed me that I could something that could do much more and for very little more cost than the $800+ price of a hard-copy FAX machine.

This purchase was for my business and I was looking for a business-only solution. They had the AST DX-33 for just little more than $1000. So, I walked out with my first "business-only" PC using Windows 3.1.

After learning to do a few upgrades: Sound card, Video Card, etc., it wasn't long before Microsoft came out with Windows 95.

After that, it wasn't much longer before the video games section began to catch my eye.

So.... my very first ever PC video game was...

TEX MURPHY: Pandora Directive.

(And, certainly not the last! :cool: )

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Hmm, back when I had a Spectrum, I remember playing Prince of Persia at a friend's house. :) The first game that I remember playing on my own PC was Supaplex (considered an extended Boulder Dash clone). It remains one of my favourite games of all times (one of the worse fights that I've ever had with my sister was when she accidentally erased my progress). I never beat it completely, I got to about level 86 (out of 111), although I did hack the save game file years later to enable me to see the last level (which I was able to beat). Here's a screen from one of the first (and fairly easy) levels:

[​IMG]

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Back in the days I can recall these.. The Atari 2600

[​IMG]

And I loved Pitfall

[​IMG]

Then I switched to the ZX Spectrum. Which needed a external Tape recorder to load games..

[​IMG]

Then I later upgraded to

[​IMG]

Which I constantly played a Basic form of snooker... There were a few other games I played but I have forgotten what they are..

But I cant find any images that resembles my first ever game I played on a pc (An old 486) there were around three and were all starwars related..

But this later guided me towards Doom

[​IMG]

Which I know have been playing on my Ipad. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I remember playing Doom, Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein, and Stonekeep (anyone remember that one?) at my best friend's house and being just blown away. I'd had Nintendo and Super nintendo, but I didn't have my own computer until probably Christmas 1995.

First game I remember buying was Duke Nukem 3D (I actually remember picking it off the shelf at Babbages as a 14th Birthday gift from Grandma) and I was hooked as a life-long PC gamer, I suppose. After that it was Dungeon Keeper, SimCity 2000 and Diablo. Many a sleepless sleep-overs were spent trading the captains chair with friends on those titles.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I will avoid talking about pre PC video games as asked for, so, the first PC game I bought was Jutland (1993), by Software Sorcery, in 1994 for DOS. It was a mix of simulator and strategy (two of my favorite genres). It also was one of the first few PC games to be CD only games. It also was the first that I know of, PC game which came with digital only and accessible through the game, manual. It was very well done too, not that crappy digital documents cheapness that we might see today if we are lucky.
    The game was very well done and while it never achieved the recognition it IMO deserves, it is IMO a classic.

I include a few screenshots taken from mobygames since I don't have the game installed, though I still have the game disc somewhere.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    picture sharing

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Pong...

7. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

You seriously got Pong as your first PC game?

I didn't get my first x86 computer until 2002. The main reason was to be able to play GP3 so that was the first game I ever bought. What a waste, GP4 was released just a few months after... :p

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

PC? Command & Conquer Red Alert, amongst a few others (Tomb Raider 2 and a bundle of Rage software), all of which came with the Time PC that was bought.
    First video game was a game on the Commodore 64. I think it was called something like KGB.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

my first pc game.... not technically mine.. but it was the first pc game I played ever...

followed by space invaders and a racing game....

that was on a TRS 80... and Atari

from there it moved into some childs word type grammer game... and old ALF game and mothergoose game. all on the Tandy 1000 computer system.

Then into Kings Quest

There were numerous other REALLY old games.... in 1997 we got a Compaq Presario and what a hunk of crap.... but I played Magic Carpet 2 and Duke Nukem 3D/Doom series and Dune 2.... from there on things expanded.

10. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Hmm what might have been the first PC game I played... Should have been at school since I had an Amiga at home. :) Might have been minesweeper on Windows 3, lol. But other than that probably some text based classic of Infocom. The first PC game I played with any level of interesting graphics was probably Wolfenstein 3D and some version of Street Fighter. I had some system with a 386-SLC chip if I recall correctly. Later with a 386-DX chip the games started to become interesting as games began to nudge into actual 3D graphics. Flight games were my main fare, and that feels so long ago.

Edit: Hmm, forgot about Stunt Car Racer. Certainly played that on PC before Wolfenstein 3D, though I probably played it more on the Amiga.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  11. Trusteft

I was under the impression the OP meant which PC game you first bought.
    Of course I could be wrong since I didn't start this thread.

but since it doesn't really matter any more and to answer in the same way, the first game on a PC I ever played was probably Dig-Dug or Moon Patrol, in 1984 when I was enrolled at a local private school for computing. It/they "ruined" me ever since. I think it was on a Multitech PC, I still sort of remember the keyboard and that the actual machine looked prettier than the other PCs in the lab. Hey, what do you expect, I was like 7-8.

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

my very first game I played was either Stunts or Orcs vs Humans, or Dune2. They were played about at the same time.

first game I've bought (I never really buy that many games) would be Warcraft II.

13. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

hmm, there were quite a few that I played all around the same time when we got our first 386
    Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, X-Wing, Wing Co: Privateer, Syndicate
    are the main ones I remember, although pretty sure I played a lot of Wolfenstein before I got hooked on Doom, so it was probably that :)

14. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

As far as I remember my first game was Prehistorik :)

[​IMG]

15. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

I used to play games on my famicom (yes I had a famicom :lol: ), the Golden China:-

[​IMG]

And I used to play DOS and Windows games on the computers at school, games like Body Blows, Tank Wars (DOS) and I can't remember the Windows games we played at school as I preferred the DOS games.

First games I got for my first PC which was an IBM with an Intel Pentium 1 processor were Microsoft Golf, The Magic School Bus explores the solar system and Fury 3. The first game I ever bought myself was Mutant Penguins and my little brother bought Gex the Gecko which was a lot more fun than Mutant Penguins, I hated that game.

After that I got a tonne of DOS games for my PC as well as more Windows games such as Doom, Duke Nukem, the Commander Keen games, Crystal Caves, Hexen, Hexen II, etc.

16. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

think i was the only one that read the OP :p

17. Trusteft

What, you missed my first answer? :p

18. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

First PC game I ever played was Doom 2 on a Windows 95 PC at Future Shop in Canada. I was on my lunch break at school and saw it there, up until then I had only played Doom on playstation and was an addict I never even knew it was a PC game before then. I tried to play with the keyboard but couldnt even get out of a couple of rooms nor figure out how to move and fire. I shook my head in dismay at the crazy idea of PC gaming and didn't play another PC game for about 3-4 years.

19. Calliers

Calliers Is turning over a new leaf..... Staff Member

I remember the first FPS I played on the Playstation 2 was Quake III, at first it seemed weird using a controller to play an FPS but after a while I got the hang of it.

20. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

First PC game I played was probably IndyCar. I woke up one day to find my dad had set up a 486 (although may have been 386, maybe the rest of my post will make one more likely?) on the living room floor. It had Windows 3.1 and three games installed - IndyCar, X-Wing and Doom 2. I never bothered with X Wing (I didn't understand it and it looked boring) but the other two were hammered to death.

It wasn't long until we had Sensible Soccer and Whacky Wheels. In 1998, Whacky Wheels took up the majority of my eleven year old life. :D It got to a point where I revisited it about two years on and had a quick blast, only to find the fastest lap times I'd set were about 12 seconds faster than I could still manage; some seemed impossible. Me and my mate (she was top, I was 2nd, less than a second behind) must have got really good at Whacky Wheels, haha.

[​IMG]

NB. I had played on games consoles, Amiga games and even on a ZX Spectrum prior to getting my PC.