whats best setup for dual booting with SSD's

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by schmudge, Oct 2, 2013.

1. schmudge

schmudge New Member

Wish to know if there are any latest tips tricks and need to knows b4 I load up my system onto my 1st build.

I am totally new to this but wish for a dual boot system (need XP for old software)
    1 x 1TB HDD (sata3) to be used for storage and programs games, sims etc
    2x 250GB HHD (sata2) storage for backups
    1x 120GB SSD OS XP pro32bit
    1x180GB SSD OS 7 premium 64bit
    will be getting 16GB RAM for an Asus p8Z77 mobo
    1Q I have is where is best place for things that rewrite heaps ie pagefile etc?
    I read that this can easily shorten the drives life ? or just leave it on the SSD.?
    (could the pagefile be put onto a separate v.small cheap SSD purely for that purpose so if it did go fut! you still have the system intact?)

Startup folder is always left empty and since this PC will never be connected, It will be scanned once in a blue moon. I dont run AV or firewalls etc. All turned off.
    So I cant see the SSD getting that much attention if there is only the OS on it.
    Have I got it close to right?

2. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

I didn't bother moving the pagefile off my SSD. Everyone is shitting in their pants about wearing out an SSD, but some have calculated that through average usage, it will take a looong time before you see that degradation or you'll end up upgrading to LHD* before that happens.

I have 4 SSDs.
    1 - OS, programs, pagefile, temp files...
    2 - browser cache, downloads, extract folders, photoshop scratch disk and projects, sony vegas projects, media that needs editing/conversion, tv recording, audio/video capture, digital camera dump...
    3 - games
    4 - all my files (music, pics, vids, documents), virtual hardfiles for vmware

Just disable defragmentation, point your Libraries to the 1TB HDD and maybe lock your pagefile to a constant value by setting the min-max size the same. That will keep it from always resizing and at least spare those constant writes.

*Laser Hologram Drives

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just a couple notes:

1) Be sure to read up on the proper preparation/steps necessary to install XP onto an SSD, such as aligning the drive (one trick is to use the Windows 7 setup disc to manually create the partition as it will do the proper aligning automatically for you, exit the installer, and swap for the XP disc), as well as reading up on the caveats of installing XP onto one (such as lack of TRIM), and what services you should to disable afterwards (such as defrag).

2) One thing you might consider is to hook each drive you intend to install an OS to by itself (or rather the OS disc plus the storage disc), install the first OS, switch out the OS drive, and install the next one. Later when you hook both drives up you can go into Windows 7, and add the listing for the drive that includes Windows XP giving you that dual boot, but each drive is independent of the other (remove the Windows 7 disc, XP still works, and vice versa).