What's faster - X1600Pro or P4 3.74GHz?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by RoyBatty, Dec 5, 2006.

1. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

New FAH GPU client has been released a few days ago. Do you think it's worth using on X1600Pro? I know that X19xx are faster than anything else, but X1600 is much weaker - how does it compare to 3.74GHz Northwood? The X1600 has lower (around 1/2) power consumption, so I would prefer to use it for folding instead of CPU.
    I could test it myself, but I'm not at home now. So what do you guys think?

2. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Well...Since it has R5xx series core, it should be using same technology as X1900. Ergo, it should be faster than your CPU. Atleast thats what i think :)

3. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

the GPU clent also uses 100% your cpu also BTW

4. RoyBatty

So the GPU client uses both CPU and GPU for folding? I didn't know that.
    That makes my question a little pointless, I thought that it is CPU OR GPU :oops:

5. Peter123

Peter123 New Member

I've been looking at a similar situation and have read up on the support forum about this.
    Unlike single core CPUs, if you have HT enabled on your P4, you can run 1 CPU client and 1GPU client (with your X1600) without a dramatic loss of performance. The X1600 should do roughtly around 200 PPD (OCing helps a bit). The CPU client will vary around 150 PPD for non-bonus projects and more for bonus projects. Running 2 CPU clients instead of 1 CPU client would only give about another 20PPD (as it is just 2 virtual cores). So the GPU client is a much better choice for the second client.
    This is one of those times that HT helps almost as much as a dual core, as the GPU client appears to use up a core, but it doesn't really do much computation so a virtual core works almost as well as a real one.
    BTW for the X1600 it doesn't make much difference if it is the Pro or XT or even 1650 Pro version as GPU memory speed doesn't make much difference - GPU speed & # of shaders is what is important.

p.s. cool to see that the DH folding subteam has its own forum area! :)

edit: yeah I know this thread is a bit over a week old, but just in case you didn't try it, it probably is worth a shot.
    As a side note I've read that some people have complained that their system 2D GUI is sluggish when the GPU client runs - the impact really depends on what system you have and what apps are running so alway worth a try. Otherwise let it run only when you are not using your system.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  6. RoyBatty

Thanks for the info Peter123, I actually tried to run the GPU client (though at that time it wasn't because I wanted to run the clients simultaneously, but because I wanted to know if/how the GPU client works on my system) and a message appeared saying that the client will exit because another one is running. How can I run CPU and GPU client together?
    And another thing, I have read that Catalyst 6.12 is not usable for the folding because of some bug, so I'll have to wait till 7.1 to try that.

7. Peter123

Peter123 New Member

You probably will have to go back to 6.11 if 6.12 doesn't work (not sure as I didn't see people with X1600 with problems - just those with X1800/X1900) if you don't want to wait for 7.1 (there shouldn't be much difference with 6.12 outside of folding). Don't forget to use Drivercleaner ;)
    When you set the Machine ID#, did you use a different one for the the CPU and the GPU client? That is usually the reason why that error appears.
    Hope this helps!

8. hackerx

hackerx Banned

One question.How much difference in Folding performance will i see if my i riase the clocks of x1900 xt to x1900 xtx speeds(core and mem)?

9. RoyBatty

I managed to get both CPU and GPU client working, but the GPU client has to be console type (assigning different machine IDs didn't work). Now it seems both clients are working fine even with Catalyst 6.12.

The Windows GUI is quite slow with only the GPU client running, but gets noticeably faster with both clients enabled. Looks like the GPU needs to be fed by CPU and with both clients running the GPU has more time for graphics...

edit: I think I just found new hardware stress-testing tool - I have never seen such high temperatures on my system as while folding on CPU+GPU :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006