What's heating your home?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Judas, Apr 18, 2007.

?

What type of heating do you have in your home?

1. Natural Gas (Forced Air)

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Propane (Forced Air)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Solar (Forced Air)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Boiler (Forced Air)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wood (Forced Air)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  6. Diesel (Oil) (Forced Air

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Electric (Forced Air)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. Solar (Radiant)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Boiler (Radiant)

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  10. Eletric (Radiant)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  11. Other

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  12. Computer(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Theres solar heat, geothermal heat, natural gas, oil (diesel), Propane, Wood, Boilers, and a pile more. Some of which use a combination of radiant, or forced air.

I'm curious, after having to clean out several computers, i'm starting to notice a trend.

All forms of pure Radiant heat are obviously quite clean. I mean that only thing stirring up the air is other fans in the house.

Where as Forced air gets quite different.

Among all the forced air furnaces, by far the worse ever is wood, diesel can be bad, but damn woods utterly shitty to work with, i think i'd rather have heavy smokers smoking around the machine then work with wood.

So what furnace/heating solutions do people have around here, wonder if anyone here still uses a wood furnance (NOT Fireplaces, those are different)

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

right now this quad core pc.

3. Judas

So that'd be Eletric... forced or radiant? guess it'd depend on the fans your using hey? ;)

4. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I really used to like burning wood on a real fire to heat the house but sadly :tears: I now have a gas boiler. A wood fire looks nice and I reckon your mind plays tricks and tells you its warmer than it is. Its also romantic and good for setting a nice ambience so that I can raise my jolly roger to full mast and sow my seeds in the belly of my woman. :)

God I miss having a wood fire.....

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

apartment house where I live has central heating working with hot water. And the water comes from district heating plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_heating

[EDIT] Our cabin in the wilderness is heated with wood and electric heating.

6. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

in all seriousness, this high end pc really is able to heat a room of about 12x15feet. had to get air conditioning in the room to keep it cool in summer (and this is in ireland).

The other thread in which zaim added 16 fans to his rad would actually make some kind of sense in australia, even if it sounds like overkill (if you could put up with the noise).

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Electric radiant and boy is it expensive...

8. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Wood, I have a stove downstairs connected to the radiators (water circulation) and a accumulation tank to generate heat after the fire is out.

9. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I have same problems. In winter room temps are around +22 Celsius and sumer they are around +24 to +34.... Yeah got the south end apartment and sun will heat all day long :p

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I thought you were using geothermal heating... :D

11. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

natural gas hi ef. furnace. I've only been living in this house for a couple months so far, but it seems really clean.

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

wood and natural gas, its an old combo furnace. if theres not enough heat being put out by the wood, the gas heater kicks in.

about 90% of winter is heated by just wood. helps when you have over 12 acres of woods at your disposal.

13. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

ROFLMAO, you beat me too it. This 8800GTS SLi setup gets pretty damned warm and heats up my home office. However global warming is doing a fair job of heating up my home too, saving a fortune on heating bills:D .

To answer the question though is slightly more embarrasing, I took out the heating boiler 3 years ago intending to replace it and well erm......It's still on my to-do list. We've survived the last few winters with an oil-filled radiator moved from room to room and an electric blanket:oops: .
    I'd like to say we make our own heating if you catch my drift but we'd end up freezing for the other 364 days of the year. Still I can't complain 3 minutes of free heating, every little helps.

14. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

I use them all!! Just kidding, I have Natural Gas but now it has finally started getting warmer so no need for the heat to be on. It was in the upper 60s to day. (That's lower 40s for you Europeans) :D

15. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

easily
    no matter what time of the year, my room is always the warmest, i usually keep my window open (except in heavy rain) and the heating duct closed, even in the middle of winter

16. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Natural gas/forced water in basement and 1st floor; electric baseboards in the attic. Also use the fireplaces in basement and 1st floor for ambiance:)

17. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I remember I had the same effect when I had my AthlonXP Palomino and 21" CRT, though my bedroom was more like 9x12 at the time. And my bedroom was south facing too, so I'd always turn on the AC and have to shut my flatmate's AC duct so he wouldn't freeze. Winter nights were nice though.

18. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Natural gas / forced water. I have the radiator diabled in my small computer room - when I need some heating I start FAH... :lol:

19. Judas

back when i had my Celeron 333 and a Voodoo 3 3000, i overclocked the celeron to 418mhz which would give me a running loaded temp of around 50-55*C and the voodoo 3 3000 from 166mhz to 220mhz (fastest voodoo 3 3000 on 3dmark 01), in a small 8x6x8 room that was actually smaller then that as a portion of the corner was walled up as well. It would get smoking hot in there, even in the dead of winter.

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I chase my fiance around the house...that pretty much warms this place up...