What's your all time favorite (1) arcade game?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Trusteft, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If you are old enough to have experience with actual arcade games, coin ups, etc, what's your absolutely number one?
    I am sure you have several near the top, but what is the one?

For me it is Exerion by Jaleco. Released in 1983. A vertical scrolling shoot 'em up where your fighter plane has two types of shots and no others, no bonuses etc. You have a limited number of single shots which fire very very fast and an unlimited double shots which fire slow.
    The game also has an inertia mechanic where your craft takes time and some effort to change direction and speed. Making it perhaps the first game of its type to use physics, basic as it is.
    The game was also gorgeous to look at in the day and using the very good vertical scrolling provides a depth effect, almost 3D not seen often.

For me it is a fantastic game which unfortunately isn't as well known as many other games of the time/type.

I was lucky enough to find it available on the PSN store (would LOVE a physical release, but that is never going to happen) and I got it some time ago.
    It is not a game you can play easily with a gamepad though. You better use an arcade stick for it.

Also it is perhaps the first time I used the PS4's built in recording option to record a session (not that good, but who cares) and I then uploaded it to my channel because this game needs recognition. Just a gameplay session, no commentary etc.

So, what is your favorite, number one, arcade game of all time, if you have experience with arcade games.

Calliers likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Metal Slug, I couldn't get enough of that game. At -all-. Loved it through and through, would always blow all my cash on tokens for it whenever I went to the arcade. Cadillac's and Dinosaurs would be a close second, that and Metamorphosis.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If i was to pick one it'd be NBA Jam.

I have a long list of games that I dropped a lot of coin into though, like Robotron and Gauntlet, but NBA Jam takes top spot.

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I, personally, wasn't into the arcade games. But, my boys were whenever we went to the mall they wanted coins to play at the arcade gaming location. One I do recall them playing a lot of was, ZAXXON.

[​IMG]

Trusteft, Tipstaff and Calliers like this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I still find Double Dragon II (console) as one of the most hilariously fun game with multiple players.

Atomic Bomberman on pc (1996) is also a riot with enough players.

6. Calliers

My fave DOS game on PC would have to be Tank Wars, hands down.

Came out way before Worms and was ten times more fun, obviously with friends.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you get 10 people... and 10 wireless controllers on a big screen tv... it's a complete and utter joy.

Did this at a convention... i had a hell of a lot of people hovering.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

Bomber Man used to be one of my fave games on the famicom (or should I say the knock off Golden China I and my little bro had), what you posted looks like lots of fun. :D

9. Trusteft

I said 1. :p

I always liked how Metal Slug looked and the few times I played it in the arcades (literally under 10) I remember liking that aspect very much.

Calliers likes this.
  10. Trusteft

I remember playing NBA Jam when it was released. It was either Spring or Fall of 93. I was walking past an arcade I never visited before, entered and there it was. With 4 joysticks IIRC. I played few games, kept losing but didn't mind. Then as I was leaving I saw another student, a girl from the same class. Hmm, perhaps it was 94 as I think I had already graduated. God she was beautiful. Nice girl too. Strange how one can remember some days from 26 years ago.

11. Trusteft

I never enjoyed any Double Dragon other than the first one. The second was quite faithful to the original, but still didn't do it for me. I loved the first one.

12. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

First one I really played was Space Invaders that was replaced by Defender and Pacman

Fav has to be Dirk the Daring (I was never any good at it but loved the hell out of it)

Fav I was good at was arcade TRON especially the Lightcycles

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  13. Trusteft

Never heard of anyone putting in number one position Dragon's Lair. Interesting.
    I can't remember if I ever even saw a cabinet for Tron. Hmm..

14. Mr Cairo

Think Dirk the Daring was just so different to anything else I had played I encountered it on a blackpool holiday and played the hell out of it ...went back to Swansea and never saw it again so maybe it more of a nostalgia thing

this is the cabinet ... on screen are the zones and you would just select the zone you wanted at start (always Lightcycle first)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/g3oik3/tron_cabinet_multicade_completed_full_picture/

15. Trusteft

It sure is flashy. I just can't be sure if I saw it in person or not. I want to say yes, which is more like maybe, but to be fair it should be probably not.

Was the lightcycle level top down 2D, or was it 3D of sorts?

16. Mr Cairo

Top down it was very basic but back then it was awesome ... the Disk game was flashy as well and the tanks were pacman with guns

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I asked my son which arcade games he recalls playing a lot of back then... These are the ones he mentioned:

Star Wars (of course!)
    Galaga
    Gauntlet

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Who can forget Galaga and Galaxian?