Whats your chosen cooler for overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 13, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

ive tried everything from promethia (remember that?!), vapo to Danger Den .... recently I just don't have time to start setting up complex configurations, especially for reviews so ive fallen back on the coolit domino which is just so damn easy to fit and work with (and you get reasonable overclocks).

I would to hear all your chosen cooling options!

2. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

After 5 years of watercooling I have gone strictly to air again. I am too old to deal w/the hassle.

I have a Thermalright AXP-140 /w 140mm Yate Loon in my HTPC
    A modded Cooler Master V10 (w/ 125 TEC powered by a Meanwell external PSU) on my desktop. Although I have a Prolimatech Megahalem going in as soon as I get back home.
    And I'll be moving the V10 on to a pentium E6300 CUDA machine.

3. clanman

clanman New Member

i like the look of the new corsair h50 cooler. sold out everywhere however.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I am looking to use the block from the Domino ALC for a Mod I have been working on for a while and should update if I ever get to continue it. Well hey Stephen King finished the Dark Tower series right I am finally reading Wolves of Calla ;)

For me overall and no joke the original CoolerMaster Hyper212 I reviewed for TechARP with 2 x 120mm fans outperforms the Domino ALC I have here.

5. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

I Use a Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Heatsinkbut then again am not OCing by a lot so it serves the purpose well :)

6. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

If I go i5 I'll be picking up Prolimatech's Megahelem if they release a LGA 1156 bracket but if I go Phenom II x3 I'll be picking up a Scythe Mugen or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 since I believe AM3 boards accept AM2/AM2+ heatsinks because the mounting bracket is the same.

7. simonw

simonw New Member

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - it's a great cooler and not too heavy at 660g compared to some of the 1kg models.

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i still use my trusty Scythe Ninja Copper keeps things plenty cool....

i know that you already tried one out Allan :)

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

still using my trusty old Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. It's small, it's cheap and performs pretty good. It isn't the best out there but with a moderate overclock it's the best bang for buck imo. (it was when I bought it, don't know how the market is today)

10. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Prolima Megahalems, Scythe Mugen, AC 7 Pro and many more :p

Maybe soon some LCS and/or sub 0.

11. HardwareHeaven

I would get that domino sent back then, the pump must be damaged. There is absolutely no way under load the Coolermaster Hyper212 will outperform the domino under overclocked, overvolted load situations even on the first setting - its a moderately simple 4 pipe cooler. Heck the Hyper212 didn't even hold a candle to the Thermalright TRUE with a single fan! I have almost every cooler available in my office and i find this an incredible statement. Therefore I can only assume your domino is faulty or not pushing the water properly, it has been known to happen.

Intel 965EE @ 4.0ghz 1.4 volts with MX2 paste.

Coolermaster Hyper212 (two ystech fans) - 92c load.
    Coolit Domino @ Med Setting 67c load.

12. HardwareHeaven

They are actually still a damn fine cooler, absolute bargain.

13. HardwareHeaven

We reviewed the Megahelem recently, it looks to be surpassing the high end Thermalright series as THE air cooler to have for overclocking.

14. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

@ Mac Daddy
    Never :p The 212+ is just a dull simple cooler, similar to a AC 7 Pro or TX3 from CM.

Pic of my Meg, for those interested:

[​IMG]

15. macbiter

macbiter New Member

Yeah the Hyper212 was really average, I had one and got rid of it when my overclocked system kept crashing a while ago. Upgraded to water and never looked back yet (but I keep checking it all the time for leaks, it makes me paranoid!)

Nice picture of the Meg Bolletje - you are a man of taste !

Bolletje likes this.
  16. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Then you might check the article and also the Domino mod article on TechARP and TNHW respectfully.

The Domino fan set to the ear deafening pitch of high failed on that test. Like I said no joke and perhaps your reviewers could start using room temps in relation to recorded temps. The difference is called Delta T and a true measure of a components temperature.

17. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

A few reviews out there put the 212+ against many high end coolers out there. Seems to be beating most of the other direct heatpipe coolers out there.

18. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

The CM 212 is a decent air cooler, thats it. I also read these reviews (like the one at techarp) and I think the testing (your) is way off. I had one to try out as they are cheap and it was outperformed by my arctic cooling freezer pro. This "Delta T" btw, will be lower with water cooling than with air - thats the whole point of watercooling. DH always do real world testing, clearly you don't even read the reviews :rolleyes:

There is absolutely no way it is outperforming the domino (on high?!) - too many reviewers out there right now are taking backhanders. I will never believe anyone who tells me that a 4 pipe air cooler will outperform a water cooler like the domino.

No offense mac, but I think your attitude with Zardon here and you attempting to lecture him and the great staff here on how to review is way out of line. I have never seen a review from you apart from a few (really average) ones on techarp so I think you need a bit of a reality check.

@ Lowfat why are you quoting a post on a Meg in relation to a 212+ I hope you arent inferring the 212 would beat the Meg as well ! no chance!

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Ah Christ......I didnt need to see this.
    flashback time.

20. clanman

clanman New Member

I work in a computer store and the best air cooler right now is the Megahelem. most of those hard core air coolers get the same idle temps as something like a H50 or Domino but its under load with voltage the watercooling is still hard to beat. Personally I rate the new corsair/asetek unit as the best all in one watercooling unit, which is verified by the DH reviews although I think the domino LCD readout and fitting is better. Not sure what the fuss is about the coolermaster Hyper 212 - I read Macs Daddys review of it on techarp and it looks like it was given to him by a dude for review - not a wonderful review either I have to say - seems very favourable to the product, ive one running right now in a system in the shop and its pretty good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Much better air coolers out there now, and thats not even touching on watercooling.

So without getting into hardcore solutions id say The Corsair H50.