What's your favorite ripping and burning software?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by cozumel, Dec 10, 2007.

1. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I've never really liked Nero as it's really bloated. Used to use ISO recorder (PowerToy) but is really limited.

So what is your favorite and why do you like it?

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Alcohol 120% is my app of choice, it's my favourite because it's easy to find... utlities to... allow full functionality

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

to rip audio i generally use WMP or Soundforge in Windows, iTunes (shudders) in OS X, don't really rip/copy much else, and i tend to use Nero in Windows and Toast in OS X

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i use NERO, DVDFAB Decrypter, and WMP for my audio.

as to why, because i find them really easy to use :p

5. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I use EAC for audio CDs, it makes the most accurate rips and it can burn CDs too.

6. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Nero for burning, DBPoweramp, CloneCD or CloneDVD for ripping.

7. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Nero for burning everything, 'cos I'm most used to it.

EAC for ripping audio.

8. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

DVD Decrypter to rip DVD's, MediaMonkey to rip CD's, and Nero to burn them :)

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I use Windows Media Player 11 to rip all my music.... orginally i was using REAL's JukeBox but that was a quick death when WMP was brought out with some damn good ripping controlls.

I've recently change over from MP3 to a higher quality WMV format for CDs...

But i'm still in the "not sure i want to use wmv yet" stages lol..

I own about 10 cds... total.... but i have nearly 32,000 songs on my machine that are all RIPPED @ 320kbps mp3.... since i started ripping back in around 2000

Ripping DVD/HD/BR dvd's is definitely AnyDVDHD..... i'm quite impressed..... i like to play my movies directly from HD.... and then put the DVD's in a safe place....
    Course ripping the HD/BR dvds sure sucks up hd space damn quick... lol....3 movies and that's 100gb gone

Burning however, is all Nero burning rom or for music i like to use WMP again....

10. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Easy CDDA, AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, DVD Decrypter, ripitforme, & Nero

11. hopings89

hopings89 New Member

I like to use Sothink To Rip dvds to Avi

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Nero, becouse it always works good for me and is bundled with usefull creation tools

13. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

is there any alternatives to nero? I mean a burning suite. Not installing seperate apps...

nero 8 sucks

14. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

BurnAware Free Edition does most useful things without all kinds of additional bloat and it's less than 5 MB

15. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

16. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

nero6 for me, not gonna touch the newer ones (an alternative to nero's bloat is going back a version or 2 of course, the UI is just perfect)

eac for audio cd ripping

& an insane way to rip dvds for footage.. (smartripper>flaskmpeg>fix the ac3 to wav>vdub to a 2nd xvid)

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Nero 7 and 8 are ok on everything but Vista, and still only if you do a custom install. I use Nero 8 Ultra Edition on my gaming rig since Nero 6 and ImgBurn have problems with my SATA burner. However, all I have installed is Nero 8 along with 3 other pieces: SoundTrax, WavEditor, and Cover Designer. As long as you don't install the rest, especially Nero Home and InCD, it should be fine.

On my main rig, and my machines at work, I still use Nero 6 Ultra Edition (6.6.0.18), along with ImgBurn (plus EAC and dBpowerAMP to rip/convert).

If you have Vista, don't put Nero 7 unless it's version 7.8 and up. Go straight to Nero 8, do a custom install, and take out everything except the 4 pieces I've mentioned. Everything else will screw up Vista, and drop coasters in your lap like there's no tomorrow.

18. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm discovering this problem, too. Under Vista, BOTH my SATA and IDE drives can completely 'disappear' during a burn session.

And, I am using Nero 7 that came with the recent SATA DVD burner I picked up just a few weeks ago.

So, you're saying to only install just what is needed to do the burning itself?

Thing is, I'm having this problem whether I'm only backing up files or anything including trying to make a DVD movie disk.

19. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Not necessarily saying it will fix that, but it does work better without the extra crud. Of note, if you have 7.7.5.1 installed, forget trying to fix it. Not even uninstalling/reinstalling, or uninstalling/upgrading to a higher version will fix the problem. 9 outta 10 times, once that version is installed, your Vista is f'd up for ever. Only once has upgrading to 7.8 from 7.7.5.1 every worked for me on any system I've worked on.

Nero 7.8.5.0 is the bare minimum to run on Vista (7.7.5.1 was the first version to support Vista, but as I mentioned it has a bad habit of f'ing up Vista). Absolute POS not to install: Nero InCD, Scout, Home, BackItUp, StartSmart, DriveSpeed, DiscSpeed, ImageDrive, and RescueAgent. God help you if you do.

Also, I found that it's best to have the latest firmware on the DVD drive, and if you are running and Intel chipset under AHCI or RAID, make sure you are using the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

Something else. What's really interesting is that Vista, for some dumb ass reason, has more problems/incompatibilities with LG (less with the new H62, but tons with the H20s), Samsung, LiteOn, and Asus SATA drives than it does with Plextor or Pioneer SATA drives.

20. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

roxio ez cd creator suite, and nero are the best/biggest 2