Whea Internal Parity Error on 10850K stock in Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by sew333, May 31, 2021.

1. sew333

sew333 Member

Hi my pc:
    108500K stock 4800mhz
    2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
    Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
    Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
    Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
    1 TB SSD

My pc i have 6 months,never had any WHEAS. I tested Control, Quake 2 rtx, Metro Exodus,3dmark port royal,battlefield 5,Serious Sam 4 and other games. No Wheas during 6 months,no bsods,no crashes.

My system is updated to newest Win 10 H20.

Today i run again Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition for 7 hours. After exiting game i check event logs and saw 1 WHEA Internal Parity Error.

The exact WHEA 19 was like this:

error source: unknown error source error type: internal parity error processor ir: 3

[​IMG]

MciStat0x9000004000010005

And my question is why one single WHEA appeared after 6 months on stock cpu?!

I have only XMP on. But memtest no errors. Rma cpu then?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

a single whea error... at least typical whea error over the course of 6 months is often just a fluke chance... There are copious numbers of errors that'll pop up that don't seem to have any bearing on the outcome. You'll never be able to completely stamp out and use a machine that is 100% free of it.

Millions of machines report whea error logging results. Once a month or even once a weak is fine provided they were correctable or recoverable. Seeing dozens if not hundreds of them is a sign of instability in the system. A bios update can and has fixed things like this. If you're seeing 100's if not 1000's in a day, that's usually the sign of either an unstable overclock or general clock in regards to the cpu. Or could be related to the clock ratio and memory being unstable.

Actually the whea error rate is a good way to judge stability for Ryzen systems, as one of the first flags before any clear instability starts to occur. People that manually crank up the IF clock on ryzen in order to perhaps match high clock memory (those pushing to 3800mhz or 4000mhz memory for instance) with a 1:1 ratio will often start seeing sudden jumps in WHEA error counts. Even at stock values, a whea error is prone to happen every once in awhile, but as you push it to 1800mhz and above for the IF on zen cpus, this count rapidly starts climbing until you hit a point in higher clocks that outright BSODs and other serious problems occur.

a WHEA error is not suitable for RMA or any justification at all, If you were to point to a single whea error in 6 months to the individual handling an RMA request, they'd laugh outright and then deny your request, or perhaps humour you as you may get a replacement cpu that spits out more WHEA errors than your prior one.

Hell even windows versions will result in different whea error outcomes.

3. sew333

sew333 Member

Thank you Judas for explanation.

I run again Metro for 10 hours but this time no Whea. So no worries about that one incident?

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

one offs like that are generally not to worry about. It happens.

Now if they start becoming common and sufficiently so to cause actual in program errors to any degree.. then worry, but one should keep their windows version up to date and bios up to date.

5. sew333

sew333 Member

I run game again for 15 hours and still no whea. So propably that was fluke?