When do you think is the end of the world?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by CDsDontBurn, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mike2h

mike2h New Member

fkn judas, nice viepoint- 'the majority of the human race is scum'. well at least we know what u really think about us now.

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I agree with this.

Also, If the earth we unable to inhabit people anymore, I believe technology will get to a point where something could completely surround the earth filtering in sunlight as needed and letting out toxic gasses into space. Of course this would start with smaller models (like little utopias) over the major cities filtering out the smog and waste just for survival and continuance of life in these areas. I'm pretty sure we will also make a trash cannon that uses the rail gun system to launch "hard goods" into space...or at each other.

I also believe given a "few billion years" technology would be able to create an artificial sunlight surrounding the planet.

This is all of course if we don't blow ourselves up. But regardless, we would still rebuild. As of now there is not a way to kill everyone on the planet in a 2-3 year period. I hope at the time we discover technology great enough to do this we are wary of it.

Besides all of that, I have no idea what is in store for the immediate future but I suggest everyone should make their peace spiritually as soon as possible.

3. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Nothing less than the Apocalypse brings you out to post eh SFOSOK? :D

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i say.... find a giant asteroid and jerry-rig it into a massive self-sufficient spaceship and wait it out lmao

5. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

I think all will stop two days before the day after tomorrow :eek:

6. clanman

clanman New Member

I suggest you get out of canada, travel the world, meet more people and get out of the shell you are in and learn more real life rather than reading things online or in your papers. Sure there are twisted people, but when I started travelling the world I found some really beautiful things in some of the most unexpected places.

Its an easy thing to say really and I know a lot of people say "the majority of the human race is scum" but until you truly expand your own horizons and experience life in a much larger manner than sitting in front of a screen all the time its something thats hard to comment on. Its easy to find negativity everywhere, but if we all thought like that it would be an even worse place. Its a typical comment of a kid of the internet generation really.

CDsDontBurn and [hobo]eclipse like this.
  7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

too much news is bad for you man..... especially biased news

8. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

[​IMG]

9. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

LOL :D :D :D

ROFL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not sure, I believe that for the time being the evolution of man has stopped. If anything, we're going to get more average. For a species to evolve, you need a population isolated in a certain habitat over a prolonged period of time. In today's world, that's impossible. Also, it would be hard for a mutation to make one's chances of having offspring significantly above the average as people today live more or less normally even with conditions that would seriously shorten their lifespan a century or two ago, so various "quirks" may occur here and there, but they won't be able to become a characteristic of the species and globally we're set for evolutionary stagnation, unless some of us move to a new planet, and it's not impossible that something like that may happen over the next few centuries or a thousand years. In that case, we could have an isolated population in a habitat that would, at least at first, probably be a bit harsher than our technology would be able to fully compensate which would trigger at least some changes and differentiation of new races of mankind.

On the other hand, if evolution seems to have run into a dead end, at least a temporary one, that doesn't mean that we won't change our own appearance by making ourselves half-cyborgs. Superior senses, communication devices, joints and possibly some internal organs that could last forever... The research of artificial eyes and limbs, as well as organs, are already under way.

That brings me to a rather grim possible future of mankind, the Matrix scenario. I don't think that the robots will do that to us or that it would be done for our bodily heat, but that it may be done by ourselves because the Earth would get too crowded. The brain could not tell a difference between the actual image of what's ahead of a person and a completely different picture sent to it the right way. If the image can come from an artificial eye, it could also come from a computer. Similarly, if we can make an artificial limb that will tell the brain when we're holding a substantial weight in our hand, we could also create a device that would generate the appropriate signal. And we've already seen prototypes of mind controlled video game controllers. Add a century or two for the technologies to reach maturity and the planet to become overpopulated and it will appear as a good solution to the problem. The population, or at least it's lower classes, could be packed very tightly this way and you could feed them some synthetically created nutrients intravenously which would free a good amount of space that agriculture would otherwise require and you could advertise it as a safe environment where people could lead better lives than they would be able to afford in the real world considering the shortages of living space and other goods. Those people could also be productive members of the society as they could still do mental work, and by the time this scenario becomes a possibility, the necessity for human manual labour will probably cease to exist so that's all that would be needed anyway.

As for when will the end of the world come, I'd say that it won't be any time soon. The truly rich and mighty, which are one and the same, like living and like to leave something to their children and grandchildren and while there will be crises and some of them will possibly have serious consequences for the general population, unless we manage to get ourselves in an all out brawl with some tough aliens that we stumble upon or get stumbled upon by, I am almost certain that mankind will survive for a very, very long time. If the technology keeps on advancing the way it has so far, maybe even into the time after the stars themselves have died (though I'm afraid that that would require perpetuum mobile, in which case it would be impossible, yet who knows, maybe when all else dies out we could somehow use Casimir force to gather energy).

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

why am i taken so incredibly serious at times...

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Mayan 2012 is taken out of context.
    2012 is the end of the mayan calendar, doesn't mean they mean it's the end of the world. I would be the end of that particular mayan era, and the start of a new one.

And mayan were pretty advanced and could calculate somethings like solar eclipses up to the minute, which the government (religion) abused by letting the people believe it was the hand of god. And with sacrifices they would make it go away.. Like all solar eclipses, it only lasts a while so they were always right..

back to topic... I have no idea. I think I will be dead by then so why should I worry about it..

13. mike2h

mike2h New Member

because you never differentiate between your 'serious' posts & your 'non-serious' ones till well after the fact. that & your general opinion means anything you say can be taken at face value. no matter how ridiculous.

14. Judas

no line... i have none....

15. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I say it's when russia gets bored of pictionary and has had a few too many vodkas...

16. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

My belief in the pre-determined end of the world dates isn't there.

I mean after growing up watching Robotech and them stating the year 1999 is when a space ship crashed to earth and they had these cool Valkyrie transforming fighter planes not coming true when 1999 hit ruined it for me. No giant Gundams, no giant transforming robots, natta.

I mean hell, by the time we actually terra-form a planet for set foot on a planet we can inhabit etc i'll be dead.

But I will say this, everyday is a possible end of the world day. It basically takes an idiot + a red button to be the catalyst.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

........... and there's a lot of idiots out there. Several have access to those red buttons too.

18. NUCLEARWINTER

NUCLEARWINTER Reap What You Sow.

IMHO the end of the world = Nvidia & ATI merger. it's like two parallel univeses colliding. mixing matter, and anti-matter(i'll let the fanboys fight that one out)leads to cataclysm.

19. Senor_Mota

Senor_Mota 悪魔の方法

You must have what I call "Sensitivity Replacement Syndrome" - it's a terrible condition in which everyone around you forgets how to be selfless and starts taking everything you say personally.

Trust me, it happens all the time.

Anyways, back on topic, I find it funny when people go to such great lengths to avoid death and/or uncomfortability...since it's only inevitable.

Preparing for "Doomsday"

Enjoy. :)

20. Judas

typically the only reason people would take it seriousness or even get offended by it is due to it being either true in nature or true in explaining themselves to a certain extent. Or their friends and family perhaps.

I didn't single out anyone specific, yet the responce coming back seem to hit peoples nerves personally.

Plus the very definition of the word i used has various meanings and can range from being nearly meaningless to pretty horrific insult.

Still, there plenty of scum out there from my point of view. It's not hard to see even in those that don't at all appear to be hypocritical assholes at heart.