When Is a Thread Considered "Dead"?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

As we all know, new comers tend to respond to some threads that have been dormant/idle/forgotten for some time. And, to be fair, the DATE of these posts is not that obvious when reading them.

So, what time frame is normally considered before a thread should be considered dead?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that a general rule is something like 30 days, but I believe that it is more of a matter of common sense than that there is any fixed value.

For instance, if someone asked which of the two pieces of hardware to get months ago, then, in all likelihood, the question is no longer relevant and it's a dead thread. On the other hand, if a person is replaying an old game and wants to share something, then, IMO, it's ok to post in the old thread dedicated to the game, even if it has been inactive for a while. In this case, the post would add to the existing thread and, if anyone was curious, it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Even that is not a clear cut. For instance, if there is a thread where a person asked about an issue a while ago and one is thinking about giving an answer, then the thread should probably be considered dead - the issue has probably already been resolved, one way or another. On the other hand, if you're having exactly the same issue, you've read the existing discussion and wish to ask additional questions, then it may be okay to continue the same thread.

That's why, like I said, I think that it's a matter of common sense, more than the time elapsed since the last post.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Its 10 days, but that I think is to short time to do so. Which is why I don't make any calls on that time scale..

I go by 30 days at least and if there is a post with a good comment and the issues are still ongoing it is not considered a closure.. But it is quite like Ivan said above.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Above already stated I kinda thing it depends a bit on what thread it is. If there's a thread about a problem that haven't been solved and someone comes up with something a few months later it might actually be helpful. On the other hand, I kinda think that threads without posts for a year should be automatically locked if possible.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

is this just a question on personal opinion?

Personally i honestly don't think any thread is truly dead unless it remains that way. Resurrection of thread from a decade ago i think should be allowable if the new posts/questions are DIRECTLY related to and involving the original content of the thread, perhaps someone has revisit in the case of a computer related problem or hardware or what have you, something that helps to have context and historical events to referrence within the thread that the new posts pertain directly to. Digging up an old thread with for example a random possible solution is rather inappropriate i think, the exception being that a google search pointed to such thread and adding information to the pointed thread that may address the question with a solution may result in others googling the same thing might get the answer they are looking for (personally having ran into googling something and finding threads that date back sometimes a decade or more, only to find that people had dealt with the issue, found a solution, and yet DIDN'T BLOODY WELL PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION OF HOW THEY SOLVED IT, simply saying something along the lines of "fixed, thanks" is outright frustrating beyond hell. To which i'll post in said thread with helpful information.