Which Linux is better?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Edswor, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Edswor

Edswor New Member

I want to install linux, but i dont know which version is better. I have heard of RedHat, Mandrake, SuSe...
    I want to know which is better for someone that dont know anything about linux, but learn really fast :).

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

If you're a quick learner and have a patience to get a base install working, checkout www.gentoo.org

Only requirement is a fast 'net connection

3. JLP

JLP New Member

All the distributions you listed are very good. Gentoo is quite hard to install but once it is installed it is a real joy to use and maintain. Just keep in mind that when you need to update/install some software it is compiled from source so it is optimized for your hardware but takes some time. the best way to start is to give all the distros a try on some test system and then you will se what you like.

4. tek

tek New Member

Mandrake is best for beginners or advanced users.

5. Superfly

Superfly New Member

I'm a linux n00b myself and wanted linux on my FS laptop and a distro easy enough for a newb to work with in order to learn linuxing, so i did some research on distros and ended up with SuSE 9.1 professional, i wanted to do everything myself from install and found it to be a piece of cake, with support for all my hardware i had no problems installing and now i can only reccomend it to other newbies...

After some googling and some fun with the GUI i managed to get KDE to my liking, here is a screenshot of my desktop

mylinuxbox

6. UberLord

Nice desktop :)

I'd post mine, but as it's far too functional looks boring ...

7. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

I personally like Suse and Debian. Both are pretty good. If you are pretty new to Linux then I recomend Suse and truthfully to me Suse is easier to a noob then Mandrake is. But that is a matter of preffereance. :D

I also use many different flavors of Knoppix but that is a whole other story...:evil: :evil:

8. syko86

syko86 New Member

Debian is good, so is Fedora :p. Personally I've used Fedora during a short work stint, and it's pretty ok :). Moreover, you can use apt-get in Fedora too, for RPMs. http://www.freshrpms.net

9. dipstick

dipstick New Member

My bro, who is heavy on Linux, seems to like SuSe. Haven't used any myself though:)

10. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Suse is the best if you are new to Linux.

The real men use BSD though. ;)

11. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

12. Exxtreme

Exxtreme New Member

If you want a distro for beginners so get Mandrake, SuSE or Redhat Fedora Core. You have a graphical installation routine and the automatic hardware detection isn't bad in most cases. The biggest disadvantage of those beginner's distros is the lack of flexibility.

I'm using gentoo because this distro is very flexible. I can use many version of each software and i'n not forced to wait if someone is able to make a backport or something. This distro will get my recommendation if you have some time and if you learn fast. Here is the installation guide:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1

It isn't as difficult as it seems. :)

Here my actual desktop:
    http://exxtreme78.bei.t-online.de/Pics/Desktop8.jpg

13. grog

grog Roxy Music

I have to throw in my 0.02c here.

The best distribution really depends on what you want to do with Linux and what you are running Linux on.

A 686 based laptop with 64MB of RAM or a Athlon-64 with a full 1GB of memory. I would not recommend the same distribution for these systems.

For ease of installation, device detection, multimedia support with Athlon XP-32BIT or P4 system I would really recommend Slackware 9.1 or the new 10.0 release. Really!!!

Slackware 9.1 or 10.0 (Athlon-XP or P4)

I am running Slackware 9.1 on one of my test systems with the ATI AIW RAGE PRO32 card. DVD's play fine with a small update. Adding GATOS support for TV tuner support was a breeze.

Pros:
    * Slackware is one of the oldest distributions and has come a long way.
    * Easy to install. Not a GUI install, but works very well.
    * Very stable distribution
    * Supports RPM's and other distribution archives.
    * Is easy to maintain.
    * Is 100% free, ISO's are available via FTP and BitTorrent
    * MP3's support is included.
    * Full DVD support is possible with update

Cons:
    * Would not recommend for older laptops
    * Would not recommend for Athlon-64 based systems.

Mandrake 10.0 (Athlon-64)

Currently running Mandrake 10.0 RC1 on my ASUS K8V Athlon-64 system.

Pros:
    * Easy to install
    * ISO's available via ftp for RC1 or OFFICIAL release if you become sliver member (pay money).
    * Very stable distribution
    * MP3's support is included.
    * Full DVD support is possible with update

I do agree that Gentoo may be even better for Athlon-64, I just need the time to try it.

Older machines:

Vector Linux

Vector Linux is a small, fast, Intel based Linux operating system for PC style computers. The creators of Vector Linux had a single credo: keep it simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating system is going to be. What has evolved from this concept is perhaps the best little Linux operating system available anywhere. For the casual computer user you have a lightening fast desktop with graphical programs to handle your daily activities from web surfing, sending and receiving email, chatting on ICQ or IRC to running an ftp server. The power user will be pleased because all the tools are there to compile their own programs, use the system as a server or perhaps the gateway for their home or office computer network. Administrators will be equally as pleased because the small size and memory requirements of the operating system can be deployed on older machines maybe long forgotten.

http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vector

ISO download

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-4.0/iso/

Links:

User view of Slackware:
    http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=315

Where to go to find out about different distributions. New distributions are published every day.

http://www.distrowatch.com/

Slackware overview:
    http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slackware

Mandrake overview:
    http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mandrake

Vector overview:
    http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vector

Notes:

If multimedia is not required then Fedora Core-1 and Fedora Core-2 are also excellent choices.
    The really neat thing about Fedora Core-2 is you can download the DVD ISO from BitTorrent. This make for not only easy installs but you have just about everything and the kitchen sink. The problem is if you want to add MP3 support or DVD support there is a lot of work to make it happen.

If you are using Fedora 32BIT version this is not a big deal since you can go to FreshRPMS and download apt-get and synaptic.
    Once you install both of these packages you can run synaptic from 'X' and simply select a DVD player such as XINE to install. DVD support will now work fine with Fedora. All of the dependencies are handled automatically.

http://freshrpms.net/

Problem is FreshRPMS does not yet support Athlon-64 (AMD64) version of Fedora. So much harder to update packages on your own.

But if you liked RedHat you will find Fedora a good distribution as well. I just can not recommend it for Athlon-64 right now.

I am running Fedora Core-1 on two systems here; mainly to keep compatibility with work I am doing professionallly.

Final:

Distrowatch is a good place to find a lot of information on hundreds of distributions and should be of help to anyone who is planning on using Linux. Lots of reviews and detail information on each release helps a lot.

First thing a new user needs to do is determine what they need from Linux and what platform they will be running Linux on.
    Next find the distribution that fits your needs. Read the reviews. Look at the cost if the package is not free.
    If you are not sure between a couple of free versions why not try them both. No need to commit to a version right away, install a Linux version and play with it for a while. After you have a good feel for that distribution try another you have looked into. Once you decide which one to use then stick with it and make it you new Linux base.

Keep in mind Linux becomes somewhat religious as far as distributions go. Once you love a distribution you will consider it the best until you decide to 'convert' to another distribution.

Myself as a Linux developer I have to be an Undenominational Linux user.

Greg

14. Psycam

Psycam Hey You!

I was a total newb to Linux, but I took his suggestion and tried out Gentoo (I had played with RH9 awhile back, but only for a few hours.. heh..)

And I have to say that I use Gentoo for everything now, and my dual booted Windows XP Pro dosen't do squat for me. It took me, however, about three days and four attempts before I got my Gentoo up and running *well*, but I have to say it was a GREAT learning experience, and the forums/community for Gentoo was VERY helpful.

However, if you plan to try Gentoo out, it does take some time, patience, and a lot of determination.

15. UberLord

Can't say that I didn't warn you :p

16. TJ-

TJ- New Member

all sounds very complicated....

i hope my red hat wont cause me any trouble.....

17. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I like RedHat, you shouldn't have a problem with it, and it's widely used a lot of support available for it.

18. TJ-

TJ- New Member

what do u think of red hat???

19. TJ-

TJ- New Member

sorry forgot...

red hat on a amd64 3000