Which "Miles Provider"?

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by johnnychangs, Jul 4, 2004.

1. johnnychangs

johnnychangs New Member

Hello

New to the kX Drivers and am enjoying them so far. I have read up a lot in these forums, lots of great info here.

I have one question. While I love the features of the drivers for recording, I do play a game every now and then. The main one I play has a setting in the options for "Miles Provider". The choices are:
    EAX
    EAX2
    EAX3
    Dolby Surround
    Miles 2D Positional Audio

From what I read, there is no official support for any of the EAX modes for these drivers, and enabling it in games will do nothing.

I use headphones most of the time, which of the above settings should I use?

Thanks in advance.

2. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hi johnnychangs:

If you use headphones, you can use Miles 2D Positional Audio. If you use a multi speaker setup, use one of the EAX options, and on the KX icon in the system tray, right click it, choose settings/driver compatibilty and place a check mark in "Filter All EAX requests.

If I missed anything, surely DJ_Stick will be around to help you.;)

Sincerely, thomasabarnes

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

EAX is not really related to 3d audio… so it may be best to choose either none, or the 2D positional audio (which is just a fancy name for stereo)

4. johnnychangs

johnnychangs New Member

Sorry for posting this in the wrong area, I saw EAX under the 3-D Audio section and thought it was the proper place.

The game I am referring to is Star Wars Galaxies. I tried the Miles 2D last night and it seemed to work fine. However when the sound of a lightsaber would come on, the lightsaber would sound almost crackly while everything else still sounded fine, very odd. There are settinigs in game for "Max Sounds", which goes from 8 all the way to 64. I tried each settting with the same result. Other than that everything sounds great.

I''m going to try the EAX Filter setting Thomasbames mentioned to see if that affects anything.

5. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

If You wanna use surround, set EAX, if stereo - miles.

Setting to miles on 5.1 system, even if surrounder is set to 5.1 does at most copy signal from front output and puts it to rear, which gives fake 5.1.