Which Monitor ??

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by IamLakota, Mar 16, 2005.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum,but can some one give me any advice on which LCD monitor I should get that is decent for playing games on.
    Thank's in advance,IamLakota.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Well, I should think this should be in the "computre components" section, it should get moved there pretty soon, but I'm not too sure which model monitor to suggest to you, a Samsung or LG would be a good buy if you're on the tight side with money, they give you the best value for money so I've heard (I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 17" monitor myself, and so far it seems to be performing really good, only problems I have with it are that it likes to give off this hi-pitched "mating-call" sort of squeal from time to time, esp. when just turned on, don't know if I should be worried about this, but other than that there's just the irritatingly loose power plug at the back).

Since Samsung is supposed to be one of the most renowned monitor brands, esp. for TFT screens, for their price range, they'd probably be the best option here, but LG is just as good when it comest to money for value, so you'd best just do a little shopping around and see what models you can find around your area. (or on the net)

Benq's new range of monitors is also worth mention, since the company was originally at first Acer, but then changed their name to Benq, their monitors could be quite good too, and the reason I mention them is coz of their prices, they're pretty darn good for the value you seem to be getting on those things.

Hope you find the right monitor dude, good luck and don't give up looking too soon till you find the right thing. ;)

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I spent nearly a year searching for the best LCD. My only requirements were that it looked good, and could reasonably be used for gaming. I looked at BenQ, Samsung, Viewsonic, and Hyundai. Hyundais panels are the best for gaming, but they were a bit pricey. That led me to Samsungs 172X which has VGA and DVI support, and I came THIS CLOSE to buying it... until I saw the Viewsonic VP171b. Holy @$@# was I floored! The new revision has this being an 8ms panel, has 3 video inputs (2 VGA, 1 DVI), comes with boths sets of cables in the box (Viewsonic I love you for that), and the design of the case/boomerang stand makes it attactive and stable. It's also a far better than for gaming than I could have wished for... all for $400 Canadian. Google around the net for VP171 reviews, and you'll see how many good reviews this panel gets. Some will be of the old VP171 that had a 16ms panel, while others will be of the new one (also known as the VP171b-2). I can't recommend this panel highly enough.

- Tip

4. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Sounds like a winner - Samsung has some new 12ms models for less money, but you lose the DVI input - choices, choices. Viewsonic is a very reputable company - nice warranty on that model too.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

After reading the new post on Viewsonics announcement HERE of the 4ms panels I'd go for them instead. Although, as I pointed out in that thread ExtremeTech made mistakes on the specs, I'd still buy one. Damn nice specs.

Now... if I can only get rid of this VP171b-2....

- Tip

6. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

IamLakota, hint, hint...

7. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Oh I am thinking about it believe me,swimtech,I'm thinking about it.