Which one is better: Soundblaster or ADI ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by TheDoogster, Mar 17, 2008.

1. TheDoogster

TheDoogster New Member

Hello,

I have connected two different sound cards to my computer:

1. My old Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum (SB0060)
    2. The onboard sound card ADI AD1988B (P5E3 Deluxe motherboard).

I am wondering which of the cards should be the best for mp3 music and gaming?

I tried listening to some 192kbps mp3s and my impression is that there is a more deep and clear sound on the ADI card. As far as I can google it also supports EAX2.0, which the SB doesn't.

Does anyone know which card is actually/in theory the better of the two?

Thanks

TheDoogster

2. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Almost every add-in sound card is a better solution than integrated one.

Better DSP, filtering and DAC's. And it's somehow isolated from the motherboard, so it doesn't generate some specific noise (scrolling windows on screen on even CD drive motor - on laptops).

And you can always try kX drivers with Live! line cards.

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

about EAX: Creative created EAX, so you should be able to get at least EAX 3 from the Live, perhaps even 4

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Erg i hate adi.......

the live is getting a be outdated imo..

but has it's potential.. (limited however by drivers and bloatware)....

where as the onboard solution seems to be more up to date.. .but still not exactly worthy of noting in much of anything...

IMO, best way to go, flip back and forth between them till you can decide for yourself which proves to be the best quality/performance/capability and ease of use for you.

5. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

If you're into sound quality then try Live! with kX drivers. kX drivers are the best drivers for a sound card I've ever seen (and heard).

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Of note, you mentioned that the ADI sounded more deeper and clearer than the Sound Blaster Live!, however, did you adjust the Bass and Treble for the Live! at all, or are you running with the default settings?

[​IMG]

Most people forget that most of Creatives cards have those settings, and usually run off the default which is midway on the scale in the above picture (btw, those settings are for my Audigy running a pair of Koss PortaPros which are a bit bass heavy by nature).

7. tcman

tcman New Member

I would just use the ADI 1988B onboard audio (HD audio) since it's superior to the Soundblaster live 5.1 which is already 7 years old and no new drivers are available for the SB Live soundcard. Newer games will have sound problems, while there's no driver updates. Also the SB live 5.1 supports up to EAX 2, while the Audigy/X-fi series EAX 3 and up. The audio quality of the new ADI 1988B or Realtek ALC 889 onboard sound sound okay/good, comparable to the Audigy 1 series if not better. That onboard sound would generate some noise etc. is something from the past. The onboard sound surely has improved in recent years. But your SB live 5.1 got an IO drive since it's the Platinum version which should give you better connectivity.

If you really want better sound, you should consider Auzentechs X-Meridian 7.1 or Auzentechs X-fi Prelude (if your budget permits). These 2 soundcards will beat any onboard sound in the world.

Good luck!