Which start menu are you using on 8?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Robert McClelland, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Using pokkie :)

2. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Start8 from Stardock :)

Was the first one I came across, and it did everything I needed. Except burn Metro to death! But as good as, it locked it away in the cellar where no one can hear it scream.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

none..... using mostly keyboard shortcuts and hotkeys to pull up what i need quickly. (it's like using windows 3.1 all over again but with working keyboard shortcuts)

Windows 8 slogan... "Who needs a :xing mouse!?"

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

The best kind: Windows 7 :D

5. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Give windows 8 pro a chance 40 bucks not bad for it lol. better then paying 140 for it :p.

6. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

40 bucks? I wouldn't want it for free :bleh:

7. MooN*FiRE

MooN*FiRE Pandemonium Fortress

When I was testing Windows 8 for a month I used Classic Shell and or StartW8. Windows 8 is a nice OS when you get past the unneeded start screen.

IvanV likes this.
  8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I finally got Windows 8 back in the form of a virtual system. On it I have Start8, which I bought about 2mins after trying 8 on my laptop for the first time.

9. Electric Rider

Electric Rider New Member

I was using Classic Shell but I found Much better.. a real start button thats taken from a windows 7 disk integrated into Windows 8. You get the Real Windows 7 start menu. It has none of the extra stuff you get with Classic Shell (that you dont need) It's one drawback is that you can no longer use some keyboard shortcuts - But those i can live with, i didnt use them anyway.

It's called Ex7forW8 - It's FREE. (Google it, sorry I cant post links yet)

I love that Metro or it's apps doesn't even load at all. (less resources taken up) I use UAC disabled so thats not an issue. I dont use the language bar or have multi monotors. The hotkeys will still work But they dont work with key combos and I'm o.k. with that. You do have the ability to log out and switch to the Metro UI if you choose to use it.

This requires you to have a Windows 7 disk to make work. - My Windows 8 operates Exactly like Windows 7 now except for some things Windows 8 changed around. It's a seemless experience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The same guy Tihiy, has made an app called StartIsBack which he charges 3 dollars for and it does have extra features that you dont need IMO just like Classic Shell. He made Ex7forW8 first just to help folks out then he found a way to do it that doesn't require a windows 7 disk and thus he created StartIsBack.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    IvanV likes this.
  10. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Like all the cool kids, Start8.

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm using Start8 trial as of this morning. It seems really good and, while I do find it ridiculous that one would need to pay for a normal programs menu, MS released what it released and Stardock guys have done a great job. Still, two solutions have been mentioned here that seem to warrant attention, StartW8 and Ex7forW8, so I'll probably check them out before pulling the trigger on the full version of Start8. BTW, thanks to the guys who brought these two up. :)

12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

To be honest I actually like the new Start... it's the old Start, but more powerful. And it's in the same place. Click in the bottom left and presto there is your Start. It can be customized to your liking with only the apps you want on there... I really don't see what all the fuss is about. If you don't like Metro apps... remove them. If you only want certain apps on it you keep them. You can create your own groups of apps and name them whatever you want. It's really a very slick and poweful addition. When I switch over full-time to 8 I will NOT be using a 3rd party Start.

I have not switched full time since I can not get Girder to run on it yet, and I have not found a way to get my PAX to work the way I want it to. Also the AMD SATA RAID drivers are borked for it currently. All things I will figure out eventually (just like I had to do with the early days of 7) and once I do, the switch will be permanent. Having images of both a fully installed 7 and 8 and screaming fast RAIDS make the switch overs painless and fast :p (I can remove one and put the other back in less than 5 minutes)

QB

13. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Agreed. I will not go back to the abomination start menus of Vista or 7. XP was actually better. You open the All Programs menu and it filled the screen. I prefer to have every item displayed and just use my eyes to scan for something as opposed to having the items moving (scrolling) while scanning with my eyes.

8 is not perfect, because you still have to scroll if you have many items installed but you get more use of the real-estate. In order to make the menu display more items, ergo less scrolling, in 7, you have to pin items to the start menu to make it longer.

Also there was alot of maintenance to do. Programs would install in the root of the menu, some made folders, some had folders under the program name, some under the publisher's name, what a mess. I would delete all folders/files and keep the main exe in the root of the start/programs menu. Alot cleaner and easier.

8 doesn't make folders in the start screen, however it creates tiles for the items that would be in said folder. So you have a tile for Play FarCry3, Readme.txt, Register, FarCry3 Config as examples, which needs cleaning like in 7. Once you un-pin those items and left with just the main files, it's a better launcher. They just need to fix the damn auto-arrange function. It's hard to place tiles sometimes because it will move other ones at the same time making it frustrating to achieve a certain look/setup.

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah i'm liking how much easier it is to sort and cleanup and keep the start menu very organized and significantly less cluttered.... and it's nice that it actually saves tile locations.

15. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

I'm certainly getting used to windows 8. It's grown on me, mind you I was never a hater to begin with, but It did take some getting used to. I still haven't installed start8 yet, just because I've been forcing my self to learn all the shortcuts etc.. But it would be nice to have the option, maybe the first service pack will include the option. Another nice option would of course be the ability to customize the start screen background without having to use a 3rd party app. I know there's a nice one out there but I refuse to pay 5 dollars for it, not because 5 bucks is any big deal, it's just the principal of the matter. My only other wish would be to have more functionality with the right mouse button. I'm fine with learning all the new shortcuts, but it would still be nice to be able to pull up a detailed option menu with a right click on a metro app, giving a hybrid feel to the start screen. Complaints and wishes aside, it does look and feel better with each passing week. Might just be a decent OS when they've worked all the bugs and nit pics out.

16. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

I just re-read the above. I sure do like the word " option " it seems. Lol.

17. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Just a little info that Start8 has just been updated to 1.12.

18. jaydeee

jaydeee New Member

now that 8.1 is coming, the start button is coming back, this is what I've read.

19. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

This seems like a nice thread to resurrect. ;)

I'm using Windows 8.1 on my laptop and I miss the normal start menu. Not terribly, but I do miss it. I'm thinking about StartW8 (not Start8!). Supposedly, it works well, except that it doesn't display apps in the Start menu (like Start8 does), so I thought it would be worth a shot. Has anyone else tried it?

20. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

What don't you like about Start8? just the price? Works flawlessly for me on 8 atm tho. But that one looks decent enough, it's free so why not just give it a whirl. :)