Which start menu are you using on 8?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Robert McClelland, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good thing. :) (Until Microsoft makes "apps" run in Windowed mode like what might be coming with Windows 9.) But I would just buy StartIsBack instead for 3$.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Aj9QFwYTAw

IvanV likes this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The price is okay, but free is free. :D I thought I'd give some free solution a try first, and then upgrade to Start8 if I want something more feature rich, or perhaps abandon the idea altogether in case I "see the light" and convert to the modern UI. :lol:

I'm a bit wary of tools that modify the system, so I just want to hear that it installs and uninstalls without breaking anything. :lol: But as far as I can see, it's safe. :)

3. IvanV

Mkk, thanks for the suggestion. StartW8 is just not working as smoothly as a basic OS UI element ought to, so I'm giving StartIsBack a try and the first impressions are really good. Snappy, functionally faithful to Win 7, shows Metro Apps... I'm likely to purchase it if nothing surprising happens.

4. ep30rpg

ep30rpg Member

start button back in Win8.1 but not the start menu.
    Win8 & Win8.1 users can have both by installing IOBit's Start Menu 8 (it's free!).
    I have this installed on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1.

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Startisback serves me beautifully.

6. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I just had a nose at this out of brutal curiosity.

Awards: CNET Editor's Choice 2009, Compatible with Windows 7.
    So... this Windows 8 software received an award in 2009? Well done, lads.
    I'm also bemused by the Windows 7-style Start menu being compatible with Windows 7.
    What's more shocking, however, is that they developed WinMetro - the Metro screen for Windows XP, Vista and 7. Sadly, unlike the Windows 7-style Start menu for its counterpart, WinMetro is not compatible with Windows 8.

7. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

I am operating windows 8.1 and I use StartIsBack, It is fully integrates with Windows 8.1. I am happy with it.

IvanV likes this.
  8. IvanV

StartIsBack+ here as well. Feels like it's always been there. I'm not sure what I'll do when Windows 10 comes. I'll be eligible for a free upgrade and I'm really interested in DX12, so I'll get it, at least as a secondary OS. They are putting a lot of effort into the new Start menu, but so far they haven't quite nailed it, as far as I'm concerned.

Lisa Quach likes this.
  9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I don't use any start menu program, nor do I miss the start menu any more. But whatever they throw at me with Windows 10, I'll get used too.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Here is the thing, before Windows 8.1 I had Vista and up till and including then, I rarely used the start menu other than accessing the control panel and the occasional search which became more and more rare. Using shortcuts on the desktop as my preferred way of accessing programs and games.
    The only real issue I had with the jump to Windows 8.1's new start menu was how I would occasionally forget and click on it and get thrown in the metro interface.
    Now on all my machines with 8.1, the only thing customized is how I chose to boot to the desktop and that's it. No use of any third party start menu.
    One thing that I do miss though is the total lack of customizing options for the GUI/Theme of Windows. It's total bullshit that the only official way to do it is either download a theme from Windows or buy a third party program. I just want to change the colors damn it.