Who do you feel has had the more successful GFX Vista Driver Launch?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 2, 2007.

?

Who do you feel has had the more successful GFX Vista Driver Launch?

1. Nvidia

40 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. ATI

122 vote(s)
    75.3%
  1. means96

means96 New Member

Flight sim X is DX10 I think

Company of Heroes will have a DX 10 update in the coming months

Halo 2 will also use some DX 10 features

DX 9 and DX 10 screenshot comparison of Age of Conan.
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6164940/index.html

Crysis coming out mid 07

2. onefistedboxer

onefistedboxer New Member

I dont see the contest, ati hasn't even got anything dx10 compatible so how can they claim to be fully vista compliant.

its one thing to update old drivers to work with a new os but nvidias had to craft new drivers to work with a new direct x version - a much bigger task.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Note: The issues are also w/ the 7xxx/6xxx series so the statement being it's because of DX10 w/ the 8xxx is invalid. If the only problems were on the 8xxx hardware that it would be a different issue.

4. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Yep I think people are aware of that Necrosis buddy, I think the point people are trying to make is ATI are having just as many issues without the added stress of an extra layer of hardware to code for. I love the red team but they haven't done a lot to endear them to the public in recent months. Hopefully that'll all be resolved with the release of the new hardware but they aren't inspiring confidence. It's purely speculation but I think all of the delays are due to them under-estimating the strength of the 8800 architecture. It seems everytime they get close to a release a rumour slips out from the Green camp and mysteriously things drop back again. With the discovery of an Ultra rated 8800 card and the announcement of the next series being pretty much ready to launch it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see the inquirer and other trash sites getting hold of ATI delay rumours again.

5. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I jumped on Vista the day it was released and I have to say the experience has been far better than I ever expected. I have no idea what is happening on the ATi front or with SLI but running a single 8800 in Vista has been great. I have never seen a BSOD or any game crashes and in fact I prefer gaming on Vista even if my max fps have taken a hit due to how smooth the OS is. I have well over 20 games installed and played and my Vista reliability index is at 9.26! Good stuff indeed;)

6. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Or it could be they can't get the drivers right on their new DX10 hardware? I'm sitting on the wall waiting for the Nvidia issues to be ironed out so I can pickup up a 8800 board. I'm not too happy w/ the power requirements on the new ATI hardware. Besides when is the last time ATI really launched some thing on time? It seems when it’s something new it takes them forever to get it out.

7. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

...agrees with CD's.But what should I say? I am the resident nVIDIA fanboy!

8. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Not only Nvidia gfx vista drivers are a disaster, also their drivers for chipsets are a trainwreck. No suprise there actually and good luck to people with nvidia chipsets on Vista, especially the older ones like Nforce 4.

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

We can only compare what is available and I think you fail to comprehend that the nvidia vista driver is actually capable of running DX9 games, which is incidentally all people can actually use as no DX10 games are out yet. So perhaps with your same logic no one should actually run vista with nvidia until DX10 games are out?

Your analogy and statement is heavily flawed.

10. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i'm not a fanboy, it's just where i work at that gives me the biased opinion :).

i do have an ATI card in my machine (look left), and my sister has an NVIDIA card (7900GS KO) in hers, which will be upgraded in a few weeks to a 320Mb 8800gts.

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

But only until ATI bring out something faster, we all know you like the latest goodies ;)

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

another good question(imo) would be 'who had the more successful dx10 launch'. this is really the most important part of vista as far as video card/gaming goes

13. Freulein

Freulein New Member

I can't see any DX 10 launch, Vista still using DX 9 for Aero Glass.
    We have to wait until sommer or autumn.
    But in the end it is like always, both Ati and Nvidia coming out with super products for the Enthusiast.
    'the-best-vista-driver-at-the-moment' goes to Ati

14. mike2h

mike2h New Member

dont think thats true. right now nv drivers for vista are much better & ati's newest set seems to have quite a few complaints. of course this could change(again) with next releases....;)
    i dont have vista, but from what ive been reading neither company did that great of a job imo. especially when u consider how long they have had vista to work with.
    i also think nv should be given a little bit more credit as they not only had to come out with new drivers for vista but also a completely new gpu. not saying they did a great job at it, but they definetly had more work to do.
    dont know what u mean by
    dx 10 is launched, there may be no games for it yet but it is there & available. nv does have ati beat hands down on this one, they will have more mature drivers & there is a very good chance they will have actuall game experience before ati can even get its hardware into everybodys greedy little hands - and thats assuming ati can come out with an actual mass product launch.

Lelisevis likes this.
  15. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

There is 1 DX-10 game on the market....The new Microsoft Flight Sim.

16. Lelisevis

Almost true, it's a dx10 but not until the patch is released, that however isn't until the first servicepack which has been delayed a little bit. FS as it stands is still running DX9

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspx for updates on progress

17. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my new 8800. NVidia already had drivers for their older cards, just like ATI. The 8800 works fine in XP, just like the other NV cards. What makes their case any different than ATI's? I'd love to have only one OS to run right now, but I certainly understand how implementing a new OS is a bit of a pain. I've been doing this since the DOS days, so I've seen all this before - take a look at your System Tools folder in XP - notice the compatibility tool? I remember having to use that in the early days.

Like I said - NV had working drivers just like ATI. There's no reason for their product to be any worse than ATI's.

18. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

I would say ati, i been reading alot of people having problems with there nvidia cards in vista. I do know also Nvidia chipset drivers are giving people problems.

Because there chipset drivers slowed my computer down and I had to uninstall them. and it happen to another buddy also.

its a sad thing really. People go to use there nvidia cards in vista and get hit by problems. because nvidia haven fixed there drivers yet. If i was in those people shoes, I would be mad also.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  19. Lelisevis

Firstly nice monitor;)

The arguments you use aren't exactly reason to vote ATI though are they take
    'I would say ati, i been reading alot of people having problems with there nvidia cards in vista' isnt that exactly the same for ATI? Just as many people are having problems with ATI cards.
    Then you said 'People go to use there nvidia cards in vista and get hit by problems'. Ok but thats the same with ATI.
    I know since release Nvidia have had a hell of a lot more driver releases and fixes than ATI as I'm running both sets of hardware. While Nvidia are addressing hardware issues and feature additions ATI seem to have dropped into the game specific fixes we've come to expect.

20. crapman777

crapman777 New Member

There must be a lot of ATI users voting, i only had a small problem with Nvidia's pre 100 driver not displaying my monitor at 1440*900, but after updating to their newer driver, problem solved.

Apart from this, no problems.