Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Arananeus

Arananeus New Member

Hi again,

Here's some more info about my system:

http://www.sysprofile.de/id7348 <-- my system profile.

I'm using a DVI cable right now. I was suprised I couldn't find a VGA cable but well...I found another 15" screen with an internal VGA...so I tried it with it and it seems to work! Didn't think of trying that before.. thanks for that.

So... what could it be? All I did was installing the Hotfix. I already made a clean windows install but still the same problem.

I don't think a driver could actually "harm" the card or mobo, can they?

Arananeus

2. JohnY2

JohnY2 New Member

Replacing ATikmdag.sys doesn't work for my A97p 128m 9700pro AGP and CUV4X-DLS. I tried it with 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 7.3 hotfix - get a stop 50 with each....

JohnY

3. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

VGA works!, well that means we have a problem between the display and the graphics card. Or possibly a display driver issue where the driver doesn't properly deal with the display mode. (This is all good news because problems with the PCIe bus and chipset drivers can be real ugly to unravel)

VGA is a good workaround while you try to get to the bottom of the problem.
    Also keep in mind that we are troubleshooting and I am not suggesting that you should live with the workaround.

It seems most likely to me that the problem is DVI communication with the display. The DVI cable may be flakey or the firmware in the display may need updatiing. The other less friendly possibility is a bad DVI circuit on the display card.
    Check the cable and substitute if you can borrow another one.
    Check Belina web site for info or any indication the the panels have a problem that Belina knows about. You could also google the panel info and see if other users have a similar problem.
    If you can get into windows with the panel connected on DVI then use CCC to set 60hz refresh rate. Also enable the two options to use reduce frequency on the DFP. (DFP properties.) If this works you have a fix.
    Or try setting your destop resolution to 1024x768 and see if the display works more consistantly. If this works then you have a second (but less desirable workaround.)

If nothing seems to make the DVI connection work better then you need to substitue a different panel or different graphics card to determine which one is responsible for the problem. RMAs may be required. If you are really unlucky the problem may be both the graphics card and the display panel.

In any case, troubleshooting can take a while. And even though something seems to work it is best to test it for a while and also make sure you can shut down the computer and start it up again with a good display.

It appears you are running with 4gig of system memory. As a far out WAG test, you should also try removing 2 stick and running with 2 gig to see if there is any impact. BUT BE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE AND EXPERIENCED WITH WORKING INSIDE THE CASE OF THE PC. <SHUTDOWN AND SWITCH OF THE POWER SUPPLY AT THE BACK TO BE SURE THERE IS NO SB POWER. ie the little green light on the mobo goes out>

Happy hunting. I hope the CCC options clear things up.

4. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I have been playing Stalker for a week and I want to cry. This game has been in development since before 9/11 and it is horrible. This 7.3 hotfix actually helped with my framerates dropping issues. I think because Overdrive is now turned off.

Stalker makes me sad. I may uninstall it. I have been looking forward to this game for so long. :(

5. junka

junka Zex Machine

Was it worth all the trouble with the 7.3 for Vista, I find the 7.3 awful, graphics quality is down, games run slower with long pauses.
    How many of you like me find the 7.2 to be better drivers?

6. Arananeus

Arananeus New Member

Thanks for your time..but DVI still won't work. Guess it's the diplay or gcard. But VGA works..at least I can live with it until the R600 arrives. Then I'll see if it was the gfxcard or the diplay.

Also found a troubleshoot with this problem on the ATi site but that didn't solve the problem either.

Thanks again.

Arananeus

7. drummerh

drummerh New Member

Thanks for the fix - sorted me out - now AOK!

Cheers everyone

8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R New Member

I was interested in the 7.3 XP STALKER Hotfix as a CF user but the file has been removed?(I get a blank page saying File Not Found...)Im not playing alot of STALKER these days but I am playing ALOT of Test Drive Unlimited and it could use any kind of Crossfire Boost I can get as well.

9. Roadrunner7

Roadrunner7 New Member

Thanks, it really did fix my issue with the TV.

To all that may have problems after an installation of drivers, and tries to correct it by uninstalling or reinstalling older drivers: It is much easier to just use the System Restore function in Windows, and restore the computer to the state it was in before the driver installation.

10. timbo2132

timbo2132 New Member

I had the same problem with the Cat 7.3s

I use a Gigabyte GA8IP755-G motherboard with the built in Realtek audio. I run all built-in drivers.

The LCD is an LG L19NT-A - built September 2006

It was connected to the video card (ATI X800XL AGP) with DVI. When I removed the DVI, and went back to Analog VGA.

Interestingly, when on DVI, I can run 1280x1024 @60Hz
    but when on VGA I can get the same resolution at 75Hz.

I think this is a problem with DDC

11. Jimishere

Jimishere New Member

That is exactly what I did and I'm please to report 7.3 plus the hotfix is working very well.

12. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

I believe it is a DDC issue as well. Some panels report incorrect information. The display driver attempts to use the panels native display mode when connected thru DVI, so when the driver sets a refresh rate that the panel does not like you get a black screen, or possibly a screen that blinks on and off. This may be fixable with a firmware change/upgrade on the panel. Of course the driver can also make bad choices, but it is impossible at the user end to know exactly where the problem lies.

That means that substituing panels and graphics cards is the most reliable way to figure out where the problem is. Unfortunately we don't all have spare panels and graphics cards in the spare parts bin.

For DVI always try 60 hz. If it works at a higher rate that's good.
    Always try VGA (if you can) if you have problems on DVI. The panel max refresh being reported probably only applies to the lower VGA resolutions.

13. DeeGee

DeeGee New Member

There is a bluescreen broblem with Vista & Catalyst 7.3 OpenGl driver. The problem is with a new GPGPU test program gpudip. The same program runs fine on XP.

The developer hasn't got access to a X1xxx series of GPU. dropping the ammount of loops (--iterations 10000 > 1000-2000 works fine) the test program uses makes it possible for the tests to finnish without problems.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  14. rm19

rm19 New Member

Just registered to post my system with BSOD on boot 50% of the time.

Clean Install Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition w/Cat7.3
    Asus P5N32 Premium Mobo
    Core2Duo E6600 (stock)
    4GB PC3200 DDR2 (4x1GB)
    ATI X1900XTX
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard
    Westinghouse 37" LCD monitor connected via DVI (native 1920x1080)
    ATI HDTV Wonder (drivers ok, but not recognized by Vista Media Center, XP works)

Don't know what Cat 7.3 broke, but my PC worked fine before and works great with XP (dual-boot).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  15. timbo2132

timbo2132 New Member

I'm still having some random bluescreens while I'm in windows using Internet Explorer. Even on VGA...

I've tested the hell out of my memory, and my temps are just fine.

EDIT:

Well, I figured it out. I took the cover plate off of the heatsink on the video card, and it was FULL of TONS AND TONS of cat hair!! It completly blocked the airflow. I cleaned it all up some airblasts, and so far, no crashes.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  16. Th3_VVr41th

Th3_VVr41th New Member

Hey people, I just registered (after lurking and reading for quite a while :D ).

I too have had ALL of the problems everyone seems to be experiencing.
    I solved the BSOD by doing a fresh install of Vista(x32) and installing the Cat. 7.3's.
    Of course, I had the BSOD due to the EEU, which was fixed by installing the 7.3 hotfix.

I still however kept getting the "ATIKMDAG" error when playing most games.

After becoming frustrated with not being able to sit down and play COD2 (stress relief) without having to deal with the pauses, black screens and/or dropping back to the desktop, I decided to load up the game and pay attention to every little thing I could while playing, to see if there was any telltale sign of the driver about to crash.

The one thing I DID notice is that the fan on my card (X1900XTX) wasn't adjusting its speed according to the temp of the GPU, and that when the driver crashed, the fan would spin up to 100% for a few seconds, and then back down to nothing.

So I installed ATI Tool 27 beta, and used that to set just the fan speed to 100% .
    Loaded up COD2 and played it again, to find I no longer got a single driver error.

I even left the game running for about 6 hours, no BSOD, no driver errors, nothing!
    So I unloaded ATI tool, rebooted, started up the game again (without running ATI tool) and the game started the same thing all over again with the driver not responding, pauses, blackscreens, etc...

exited the game, loaded up ATI tool again (Just the fan option set to 100%), started the game again, and played it for hours with no problems!

Now I'm not an expert on drivers, (I'm not stupid though when it comes to computers), But it seems as though every time the driver software tries to access the hardware to up the fan speed (due to GPU temp), that is when the pauses, blackscreens and driver not responding errors occur. ATI tool has confirmed this for me. By keeping the fan speed at 100%, the problem is eliminated completely, and it works with EVERY game I play On the highest settings and resolutions.

Maybe this may work for others, maybe this points out a possible problem within the drivers, that control the hardware for the fan speed, I'm not sure, all I know is it works for me. Maybe the guys here who write or work on the catalyst drivers can look into this.

I'm continuing to test whatever games i have with this, and any that have had the problems with the driver stops, etc... have been running fine, as long as I use ATI tool to set the fan to 100% before i play them.

17. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i know its not quite on topic, but i notice a definte problem with th ms wireless mouse & vista/ati whenever something 3d is going on. wich is a lot with vista. the mouse gets laggy & wont alwaus get tyhe click rt - sometimes u have to do it 3-4 times. have also gotten lockups.
    also of topic but i went ahead & went for the vista install on my wifes comp cause i listened to all the crap on how great ati/vista was compared to nv/vista. while i have no exp with the nv/vista 'experience' i can say that my ati/vista 'experience' sx.
    i am impressed with terry & companys working with their customers on fixing problems * hopefully something will happen sooner than later.

18. Frager

Frager New Member

I must say, I do suspect fan control for my x1900xtx. Im having similar problem like Th3_VVr41th said.
    Ive also seen that in vista, the fan seem to take longer to begin to turn at a higher speed. In win xp it wasnt long befor I could heard the fan turning faster.

19. alganonim

alganonim New Member

Got same installation BSOD errors on both systems: Win xp sp2 x32 & Win server 2003 sp1 x32 since 7.1 catalyst or even earlier , now 7.4 works perfectly on both.
    Thought it was nforce4 + ati problem, but I got also SB X-fi so this one is more problematic.

20. SmokeBarBQ

SmokeBarBQ New Member

ATI card is crashing my PC

CATALYST maker
    ATI driver guru

I need help.

I just recently purchase an ATI X1300 card for my dell and it crashed my pc every 15 minutes. The pc has sent ATI many crash .dats over the last couple of days and I have not seen a response.

These are my specs on my card

======================DISPLAY ADAPTER INFORMATION======================

Graphics Card Manufacturer = Non-ATI Graphics Adapter
    Graphics Chipset (ASIC) = ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
    Device ID = 7146
    Vendor ID = 1002
    Subsystem ID = 1990
    Subsystem Vendor ID = 1545
    Bus Type = PCI Express x16
    Current Bus Settings = PCI Express
    Primary Display Device = Yes
    BIOS P/N = 133-A67631B7-101