Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Thanks very much for the help guys. I ask we stay very diligent on this forum and post comments ONLY on the consistent blue screen on reboot after installing catalyst 7.3. The error message is wi32k.sys dump I believe.

Also to the guys that can reproduce it can you please do me a favor and send me a PM so I can give you instructions on sending me the dump log.

2. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Hi Terry. BSOD for me as well. Disabled the ATI Event service and then I'm able to boot into Vista. However, no crossfire option and the secondary card in device manager has the old exclamation. Install the secondary driver manually, still no go. For a test I completely uninstalled Cat 7.3's and installed 7.2's. They seemed to have installed fine however, no crossfire option again and the secondary card will not load a driver for the life of me. Really puzzled now....:confused:

3. MURCer_BorG

MURCer_BorG "Fear the Bones"

joyining the BSOD club here , Im not gonna writing all over again so I just paste my post from RAGE3DForum

WARNING NO FLAMING intended: I was pissed off a bit :annoyed: :hmm: here we go:
    :duh:
    I dont know wtf they testing there but with so many users with BSODs there simply cant be that all this ppl are wrong. I hope that ATI will come to it and solve the 7.3 BSOD issue and that damn unsupported ATI device in VISTA based systems.

And for ppl talking rubbish how to uninstall or reinstall properly I'm a long time ATI camper and there was time when I even build my own CATALYST combo drivers , but I'm finish with all of this and don't wont to bother anymore.
    I paid good money for my X1900XT and awaiting a good and steady work nothing more nothing less.

And to you ATI gurus and all knowing gods around here I did uninstall everything before I made the 7.3 installation, I even cleened the registry , then I tried with killing all ATI processes then used UNINSTALL then again INSTALLATION of 7.3 but nothing once they become active immediately BSOD accrues.

This issue forced me to login as a ADMIN in a SAFE MODE to recover my VISTA system thanks good that I had few older restore points .
    Honestly after the AMD/ATI merge the drivers become worse and worse every release .

If this trend will go further I definitely will dump ATI 4 ever.

I dont wont to flame around here but I'm angry because I made a fresh VISTA installation 2 weak ago and the only installed CATS where the 7.2s so I considered my system clean ,used proper uninstalling/installation procedure and this crap happens [​IMG]

btw TOMCAT lover & F-14 ASSOCIATION member
    http://www.f-14association.com/mission.htm
    "Always baby"
    :sigh:

4. fdisker

fdisker New Member

I can consistently reproduce the blue screen and do NOT have a sound blaster card. I haven't had a single problem with Cats 7.2.

Specs for my HTPC are:

D975XBX2 with latest bios
    E6600 cpu - not overclocked
    2gigs XMS memory
    74gig Raptor, 500gig Maxtor
    ATI Theater 650, Vbox Cats Eye 150
    onboard LAN, Sound

Clean install of Vista Ultimate 32 followed by Cats 7.3 (tried both with and without CCC). BSOD in Win32k.sys after first reboot.

5. MURCer_BorG

yes same here and in the BSOD screen it says BSOD WIN32K.SYS .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. Dark79

Dark79 New Member

I only get BSOD from enabling Crossfire. Haven't tried playing a game with it disabled yet though. Haven't tried disabling the service, but I'll do that when I get home.

Here's my post from the earlier thread:

Looks like I gotta go back to 7.1 as 7.3 is giving me the same BSOD that 7.2 did when enabling Crossfire (0x0000010E Video Memory Manager has encountered an unexpected error).

Actually I knew 7.3 was going to be a problem during the install. When it tries to install the video card drivers, the app hangs and I lose all USB devices (including my mouse). I have to install the drivers manually and then install CCC afterwards. Didn't have to do this with 7.2

This was tried on clean install of Vista 32-bit.

System is as follows:

DFI Infinity 975x
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    ATI X1800XT Crossfire Edition
    MSI X1800XT
    2GB Patriot RAM
    1 x Samsung SATA3.0 160GB
    1 x Samsung SATA3.0 500GB
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit

7.1 works fine. Strangely enough I was able to get 7.2 working fine under Windows XP. Haven't had a chance to see if 7.3 works in it though.
    [​IMG]

7. BigPlaya

BigPlaya New Member

Same thing here. The 7.2 drivers ran fine. Uninstalled them, installed 7.3, and BSOD on startup. Was able to roll back to 7.2 (thank goodness), and all is well. Here are my specs:

C2DE6600
    P5W DH
    2 X 1GB Corsair XMS26400C4 RAM
    X1950XTX
    Xi-Fi Xtrememusic
    74 GB Raptor
    320 GB Seagate 7200.10
    Seasonic M12 700W
    Vista Ultimate 32-bit

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

quite shocking the number of specs that are all intel baised...

sure there are a few amd ones... but wow.. look at the intel lineup.... wtf?

I just fired the cards into my Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe setup with the beta 703 bios.

Loaded up the 7.3's no bsods.... at all... running smooth as silk.. (i'm about an inch away from throwing everything back into the amd rig and using it as my main again)

9. kayfam

kayfam New Member

Same as everyone else, bluescreen on reboot

ATI x1950 Pro
    Asus P5B Deluxe BIOS v1004
    Intel Core2 Duo E6600
    2 gig Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value
    2x250 gig Western Digital non RAID w AHCI enabled
    ATI Theater 650 Pro
    Vista Home Premium Edition

BSOD Win32K.SYS
    Disabling the ATI External Event Utility does stop the bluescreen but after reaching the desktop the CCC refuses to launch.

10. Judas

Odd, i just noticed something, when the BSOD occurs, and windows successuflly loads up, the CCC loads, but the overdrive tab looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is back on the intel rig... amd rig still appears to work fine though.

11. MURCer_BorG

looks like AMD sabotage INTEL based system:hmm: saying: OK! we bought ATI now its time for you to swap if you want everything running smooth :evil: or :dead:

12. Jason Cross

Jason Cross New Member

I'm having BSODs as well. Here's the setup:

Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    Core 2 Duo X6800
    ASUS P5B (Intel 965 chipset)
    2GB DDR2 800
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro with latest drivers
    This is my regular home machine so it's got plenty of software installed, but nothing funky or unusual, or "bleeding edge test" type stuff.

The description - Machine has worked fine with every Vista catalyst since before Vista's release. Ran the Cat 7.3 install, it proceeded to update the driver and CCC just fine like it normally does. On reboot, I get a BSOD right about when it should hit the login screen, in win32.sys. The blue screen persists, even in Safe Mode.

I found that I could boot to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" which apparently doesn't load most of the GUI. By snaking my way through the task manager I could get to the device manager and uninstall the display driver. That let me reboot as normal, make sure that Cat drivers were completely removed, reboot again, and install cat 7.3 from a "no graphics drivers" situation. Same BSOD.

So I got back to "safe mode with command prompt" and remove drivers again (can't use the catalyst manager in that mode, by the way...have to uninstall device from device manager, reboot, and remove all ATI software from regular Windows). This time I say "screw it" and download the old cat 7.2s from ati.amd.com and install those from my "no graphics drivers installed" vista boot. Well, the install encounters an error during CCC installation on cat 7.2 now, for some reason! It worked fine when I installed it a month ago. So my system will now work with Cat 7.2, but I'll get a CCC error when it gets to the desktop and CCC won't load no matter what. Great.

Finally I hit System Restore and jumped back to a point before I tried any of this. Now my system working just fine again, running my original install of Cat 7.2 with CCC working just peachy.

Unfortunately I can't just nuke this machine and do a "clean" Windows install.

13. MURCer_BorG

almost the same here , only I could log into SAFE MODE. Lucky me!..and then call for an older restore point to get a normal system with CAT 7.2 , but as you said after the BSOD and new CAT7.2 installation got also CCC loading problems witch never happened before :sigh:

14. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

System restore wouldn't even work for me. I had to completely uninstall Cat 7.3's and install Cat 7.2's and now CCC no longer works for me as well. Time to test Acronis and see if the image I created a couple of days ago works. :sigh:

15. Spectre-63

Spectre-63 New Member

I too experienced a BSOD in Win32K.sys upon the initial reboot after installing the Vista 7.3 drivers. I rebooted a second time and was able to get into Vista, but CCC is dead to the world, giving the same errors that I experienced when I initially installed the Asus 7.3 Beta drivers:

Failed to merge manifest file: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml with exception: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml'.

Null aspectList
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Runtime.Shared.Private.BaseCaste::Destroy processID:02884 threadID:(CCCThreadNew:Runtime) domainName:(CCC.exe )

My installation process was as follows:

Initial install: Selected 'Upgrade'. Received BSOD on initial reboot. Rebooted and was unable to run CCC.

Second attempt: Uninstalled 7.3 Beta CCC, reinstalled CCC: still unable to run CCC

Third attempt: Uninstalled 7.3 Beta package, reinstalled 7.3 release. Received BSOD on initial reboot. Rebooted and was able to get into Vista. CCC still would not run correctly.

One point I'm unclear on: what is the preferred installation procedure under Vista?

16. Judas

After installing the 7.3's, BEFORE rebooting, has anyone gone into the VIEW LOG that is available after installing?

I've gone in and at the bottom, no errors are listed.

Previous catalyst would only Occasionally boot up without CCC responding... rebooting fixed it.... so it's really strange how it's intermittent and with the 7.3's is now fairly obvious.

17. Spectre-63

Spectre-63 New Member

I did the same and the packages consistently installed without errors.

18. MadMikeSS

MadMikeSS New Member

Having same issue with 7.3s. Originally I installed them as an update for 7.2s. I rebooted successfully and went to CCC to re-establish my OC and noticed the same thing as Judas, all the overdrive options are messed up. So I uninstalled the CATs altogether via ATI software, reboot and install 7.3's fresh and after rebooting BSOD. Didn't see the message in the BSOD so I can't say if it's the same file or not but I assume it is. I went in under safe mode and removed the devices from dev manager and rebooted to windows and uninstalled the 7.3's. Rebooted and installed the 7.2's and all is well again.

System Info:
    CPU: C2D E6400
    Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
    Video: X1900XTX
    Sound: Onboard SoundMax
    HD's: 2x 500gb Seagate SATA3GB/s
    PSU: FSP 700W GLN-E

19. MissileMan

MissileMan New Member

I have the BSOD issue.

Intel D975XBX2 with bios 2674
    Intel C2D E6600 at default
    2 GB OCZ Crossfire Certified RAM at defaults (5-5-5-15)
    Intel HD Audio (Sigma-Tel)
    Vista Business on 1 RAID-0 (intel)
    Vista Ultimate on 1 RAID-0 (marvell)
    Intel LAN
    2 ATI X1950 Pro in/out CrossFire (HIS brand)
    ThermalTake ToughPower 850W power supply

I have tried about evry possible way of install of the 7.3 and always get BSOD. If I boot safe mode, Driver Cleaner, reboot, install 7.2 it works as it should.

For those guys who can't get Crossfire or the second card back up, I found after the blue screen I would have to power the machine off to get the second card to come back on line. Rebooting left it bammed out. Power off must have reset the bios for the second card.

20. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I had that issue with 7.2. I was able to unlock and run the clock util. in 7.3 but I got the BSOD on reboot. I am hoping it was a fluke. I am running fine so far today on 7.3 and my overdrive is still on. I am going to play some HL2 ep 1 and Company of Hereos to really test this out.