Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. MadMikeSS

MadMikeSS New Member

After browsing through the various threads on a couple forums, it seems to me that the folks running into BSOD's are running X19xx cards. Either X1900s or X1950s. Anyone running something different and getting the BSOD please raise your hand. Maybe I missed em. Someone with an X600 said he didn't have any problems with 7.3s. Just a thought.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've got a x700/x1300/9800pro running 7.3's atm without any problems with windows vista... but they are all on AMD rigs, accept for the 9800 pro being on a intel celron 1.6ghz

3. MadMikeSS

MadMikeSS New Member

Right, which reinforces what I'm saying, seems to be something with X19xx series.

4. Aston

Aston New Member

well i got an amd 3400+ and x850xt... and get the bsod also with 7.3... :( well altho i always have this problem with original drivers .. and ive also spoken to some ati guy here in germany.. no answer :(.. only help were the omega drivers... but they arent released for vista yet so it really sucks for me.. maybe terry can help me out a bit ? with pm or something ill give you all my details etc then np.. i just wish someone could help me and i cant trade it in anymore waited too long ;(.. and i dont really want to cause the gcard is great

5. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Hi Aston. We are looking into it right now. For the time being please go to my post on page 1 for a workaround, or just uninstall 7.3 and use 7.2 for a while longer

6. dc4

dc4 New Member

I have a X1800XT on a M2R32-MVP, 2 gigs of ram, Xfi fatal1ty. Running Vista Ultimate on a 74 gig raptor. 7.2 worked perfect. 7.3 BSOD. Went to system restore and rolled back to 7.2 and everything works perfect.
    The install did not work correctly. Looking at the drivers showed 2 Mar 2007 date when in safe mode. I got a error window telling me that the drivers were in error. clicked on recommended solutions and it told me to find a recent restore point. The other option told me to get the correct drivers and load them. So at least my 1800 series won't take the 7.3 update. I also deleted the drivers in safe mode and tried to reinstall 7.3 but it BSOD after restart.
    Hope this helps

7. MechaMorph

MechaMorph New Member

Thanks for letting us know this is being looked into Terry.

I can also confirm that disabling the service does stop the BSOD.

I'm on Vista Ultimate. I haven't done any type of OCing on this machine.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Sapphire Radeon Xpress 3200 PC-AM2RD580ADV
    4GB OCz DDR2 4-4-4-15 Crossfire Certified
    ATI Radeon X1950 Pro x2
    Seagate 80GB SATAII
    Seagate 320GB SATAII
    Realtek HD Audio ALC880 using driver 6.0.1.5350

-MM

8. keeler

keeler New Member

Well, I backed completely out of the 7.3's. As i noted when I tried Terry's workaround on his first post; It stopped the BOSD and I had access to CCC, but I got a M$ msg saying that "Color scheme has changed to windows basic".

UT2K4 seemed to play OK, and so did BF2, but when stretching open windows on the desktop, I got a wierd jerkiness in the window.

One GOOD thing is that Terry's trick in disabling the ATI EEU service allows us to GRACEFULLY fall back to the 7.2's without having to deal with constant BSOD's!!

Keep after it Terry!!
    Rick

9. Jerrold

Jerrold New Member

I have the same problem with 7.3s and the win32k.sys BSOD. I tried un-installing and re-installing the 7.2s but could no longer get back to my desktop, even in safe mode! I then did a fresh install of Vista (ah just like the good old days) and only installed the newest 965P chipset drivers and then the 7.3s. No other drivers were installed. I still got the BSOD but once in a while the desktop would come up. I had the same problem as Judas with the OC page being grayed out but the thing seemed to run in general. I have since un-installed it and gone back to the 7.2s. These have always run O.K. on my system. Good luck with the bug hunt.

Jer.

ASUS Commando
    Core 2 Duo E6600
    2 Gig Kingston PC6400 RAM
    Sapphire X1950 XTX
    Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    2 320 Gig Seagate SATA II Drives
    1 Maxtor 250 Gig SATA II Drive
    Pioneer DVD 105s
    GCE-8400B CD-RW
    Antec TruePower Trio 650 Watt PS
    Antec 900 Case
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  10. cefoskey

cefoskey New Member

well this REALLY sucks for me

As the proud owner of a 1950GT, the 7.2s officially do not support the card in Vista so I had been waiting for the 7.3 for well over a month. Now I am getting BSODs every boot and had to rollback to some crappy sapphire beta drivers that I cant even game with.

Come on ATI, I cant rollback like most people.....your previous drivers dont support your own new damn card in Vista!

C2D E6400
    DG965WH
    X1950GT
    2GB DDR2 800
    onboard sound

11. cefoskey

cefoskey New Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  12. Thunderknob

Thunderknob New Member

I have an AMD X2 4200+ and an X-FI and an X1900xtx and get the BSOD on every boot after 7.3 install. rolling back to 7.2 fixed for me.

I'm at work at the moment so will have to try the workaround later but can confirm its not just an intel problem.

13. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Hi, you have a couple of options
    1) use catalyst 7.1
    2) follow the steps to workaround the problem with 7.3 that i posted on the first page

Is there anything wrong with Cat 7.1 that cant get you going for a few days?

14. Spectre-63

Spectre-63 New Member

Hi all -

I tried once again to get the 7.3's working for me tonight to no avail, but I did notice a couple of interesting things while I was thrashing about ;):

1.) I tried running the Catalyst Installer Utility to completely rip them out before another install attempt. I thought that maybe, because I'd installed the 7.3 Betas, maybe there were some lingering files that may have been interfering. I ran the Uninstall and promptly rebooted into Safe Mode to run Driver Cleaner to dump any old registry settings that might've been interfering with CCC. To my surprise, I discovered that the ATI External Event Utility was still listed in the services list. I went ahead and disabled it. While I was there, I contemplated ripping it out of the registry but thought better of it. Unfortunately, even though I thought I'd cleaned everything up, I still got the BSOD (Win32k.sys) upon a reboot after the install.

2.) When I was hip-hopping thru the registry, I also discovered the executable for the ATI External Event Utility in a registry key I was unfamiliar with: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpLockdownFiles
    There were several ATI-related files (atiogl.xml, and heaps of others) in the same key. Not sure if this is helpful or not.

3.) For some reason, even though previous versions of drivers offered one, the 7.3's don't appear to offer the AVS T200 WDM driver for Video for Vista.

Hoping my meanderings might help...:)

15. cefoskey

cefoskey New Member

According to the release notes of 7.2:

so, I was under the impression it would do no good to go back further than 7.2.

I would have tried the steps outlined on your first page aside from the fact I was getting BSOD even starting to safe mode. Luckily I used the Vista DVD to run system restore back to the point I am at now (sapphire beta 7.2, minimum functionality).

If this many people are having these problems, shouldnt ati remove these from the website temporarily?

16. CD36

CD36 New Member

Hey,

Just signed up to report my problem my system is:

Sapphire 1950GT
    MSi P965 Platinum
    Intel E6400
    2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800
    250GB WD Caviar
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

I got the same BSOD on second reboot. I did the work around and it fixed it. But now whenever i try to load the CCC i get the error "CCC: Host Application has Stopped Working" When i installed the drivers/CCC from the install manager i got the warning "Application Uninstall: Failed" By the sounds of it though this is two different problem as no one else has had this happen to them yet.

17. JT2046

JT2046 New Member

Yes. I have also experienced the same BSOD, be it overclocked or at default settings. My configuration is listed below:

Intel E6600 @ 3.2G with Scythe Infinity
    Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v3.3 F9
    Corsair ValueRam DDR2 667 4GB
    PowerColor X1950 Pro default
    X-Fi Elite Pro
    Seagate Sata2 RAID 0
    Vista Ultimate 64

Eventually I followed workaround option 2 quoted at AMD ATI site to disable the external activity service and succeeded. Everything is as stable as 7.2 but smoother.

18. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

The only problem with the workaround is that you'll no longer switch to 3D clocks when running games and/or the overdrive clocks will not display. The true workaround is to leave ATI External Event Utility to "manual" and manually start it every reboot. I wonder if switching in the Cat 7.2 version of Ati2evxx.exe would work? :rolleyes:

19. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Another, better option is:

Start vista in safemode.
    Open services.msc.
    Set the Ati External Event Utility in manual mode.
    Open your startup folder in your start menu with "explore with all users".
    In this folder make a file named AtiExternalServiceStart.bat or a name you prefer.

edit this file and add the following line:

net start Ati External Event Utility

This will start the Ati service later so it will not conflict with vista

Reboot

20. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, well some two days after these drivers were released and my system got panned, where are we now? What is the update, how close are we to being able to use the 7.3's with confidence?
    ATI, update please?
    ChrisC