Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Gentlemen,

We are still investigating this problem, but as yet have been unable to replicate the BSOD condition in our labs.

As a possible source that may be contirbuting to the issue, please indicate in the forum post the make and model and type of the display connected to the system. CRT or DFP
    Also indicate the connection type being used. For example DVI or VGA? Also indicate whether a DVI>VGA adapter is being used.

Thanks

Steve

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

so it would appear that the ATI utility is starting to quickly causing a BSOD and that preventing it from starting up that soon will solve the problem?

I didn't think the other ati services would have fired up that soon, seeing as i bsod before i even see a mouse cursor OR the windows Vista logo on a black background.

Fired up my machine today and the first boot bsod, second appeared to load perfectly, all CCC/Overdrive/etc. options are working flawlessly. What's weird is that it doesn't look like the CCC is holding the settings properly, going back into the 3D tab, i've noticed that the AF and AA and other such settings are defaults again. Also some things that are usually defaults are disabled, such as support for DXTC compression, that's always turned on, and i never turn it off, but it was off this time around.

edit:

Using a Crossfire (ati supplied) Dual LINK DVI Dongle, and a Dell 30" 3007WFP Rev2 Monitor and the dell supplied dual Link DVI Cable.

3. MURCer_BorG

MURCer_BorG "Fear the Bones"

well I think that ppl by ATI working around the clock to offer a soultion I hope very soon :)

4. MURCer_BorG

MURCer_BorG "Fear the Bones"

DVI here! SAMSUNG 930BF LCD

5. MissileMan

MissileMan New Member

Mine's DVI too on a Dell 2407WFP.

6. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, DVI with a Dell 2407 LCD. I found that the bsod was randomly happening, sometimes I could get all of the way to my desktop and then the vista welcome centre would open, then it happened. Sometimes it was at the first welcome splash screen...

Terry, you are welcome to visit my house, I could replicate it for you quite easily... :)
    Mmmm, common theme so far all DVI.
    ChrisC

7. Judas

Hey, i'm going to hook up a VGA CRT and see what happens... just to see if there is any rime or reasons to it... and maybe i'll hook up a VGA LCD HDTV and a DVI 19" 1680x1050 lcd as well..... brb

8. CD36

CD36 New Member

DVI here on a Samsung 226BW

9. JT2046

JT2046 New Member

DVI on Dell 2405FPW

10. irian

irian New Member

Okay, just registered to post my specs:

Athlon64X2 4800
    Asus A8R Deluxe
    ATI 1900XTX
    2GB RAM
    3Ware Escalade 9590SE
    Soundblaster XiFi ExtremeMusic

and I am using DVI to connect a

Dell 2405FPW

11. Spectre-63

Spectre-63 New Member

DVI to a Gateway FPD2485

12. Judas

wow... my entire windows vista install went to hell after hooking up my 900ift 2048x1536 CRT via DVI-VGA ati adapter.... not only can i not get into windows vista without it bsoding, but safe mode does the same as well as a system restore, and this is after reconnecting the dell...

pretty damn weird

doing another fresh install...

13. Popopinsel

Popopinsel New Member

BSOD on DVI-connected BenQ FP91GP

Popopinsel

14. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

I can't help but wonder who in the hell QA'd these drivers. It's not a rare issue at all. I am quite surprised considering that I also work for a software company and nothing of this nature would have escaped us. On another note, how in the world were these WHQL'd by M$???

15. dc4

dc4 New Member

DVI on a HP f2304

16. irian

irian New Member

For those having trouble to get rid of the 7.3 drivers or trying the workaround since they can't get into Vista:

1. You can not uninstall the Catalyst drivers in safe mode -- which is quite ridiculous don't you think?

2. Press F8 before you get the "something-went-wrong-menu" and you will get the possibility to boot into the last know good configuration -- it's also quite stupid not to offer this choice if something went wrong...

This should help all those people who would otherwise have reinstalled. :)

Regards,
    Markus

17. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Hi there. I was hoping we can keep the thread on track with feedback to help us get system specs to reproduce the problem and debug it.

As for your questions I would be happy to answer them. These drivers were QA'ed by ATI's quality assurance department for the last month on hundreds of machines running 24/7. It was also tested by our beta testers for the past few weeks. This is the same group of people that has helped us post drivers every month for quite a few years now.

You claim its not a rare issue at all, however I believe you dont have all the facts to make that statement, and consider it misguided. It is actually very rare, so much so in fact that we have set up dozens of systems to try and see the blue screen but cant. We have all our top guys on it, and in fact a few great DH guys are on email with me directly helping us out.

This issue seems to have to do with monitor interaction and the PC. I am monitoring the forums and am trying to provide real time updates. I hope you can appreciate that, and help us solve the issue. So as a general note if you have the problem please post in this thread, if you are here to rant and vent please start another thread and let this one focus on reproducing and solving the problem.
    Thanks alot

18. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Thanks for the update Terry. Not trying to bash this thread and I do want to help but it seems that the issue has to with "preloading" ATI External Event Utility (ati2evxx.exe) too early as if I use a batch file to load it after windows is on the desktop all is good. My guess (and it really is a guess) is that the early "preloading" is too early causing this BSOD and it appears as the ATI team made this change for 7.3 to speed up the loading process and it has back fired in some systems.

On another note, you think the Leafs will get in? Canucks are sure looking good this year!!!

19. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Thanks. Hey can you pm me that batch file I would like to look at it.

ps. nope, i hate the leafs even though I live in Toronto. hope they dont make it ;-)

20. CD36

CD36 New Member

Remember this thread is made for people to complain, of course its gonna be full of people having problems. We could probably make a thread asking people if their 7.3's work good, but why would anyone feel inclined to do a google search find this site sign up to it and post in the thread just to say they have no problems? I believe they are doing all they can and i appreciate it, posting replies bashiing them will not help them find the cause of the problem.

EDIT: leafs may get into the playoffs, but i'll be damned if they make it far, now flames are a team you won'tbe embarrassed to cheer for :p