Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

let me look..

that is the location for the CCC that is in the Startup for the 7.2 Catalyst

2. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Yes. That's the one...remove the batch file and replace it with that ccc. Keep your service set to manual though...

3. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

Just tried it, it does nothing as far as I can tell. The ATI External Event Utility service doesn't start up.

At this point it just looks like the service is starting too soon, maybe it's using memory that is usually allocated to Vista? Best leave that little problem to the programmers I guess :p

4. Judas

Theonlybabyface

atm, i'm going to hold off trying that right now.

I've since tried a few other things however, the current bat file + service set to manual is the so far fully working solution that i can tell thus far.

However i noticed that in the selection for service start properties, there is a option for Delayed Automatic start. I think i may give that a whirl and see what happens if i get the OK from catalyst maker (or if it's even a suggestion at all)

5. Judas

scratch that.... tried setting delayed start and i get a error 87 when i try to apply it....

6. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

Maybe the reason it's not placed in the startup folder is because it's now placed in the system startup list. (If you look in msconfig's 'startup' part)

7. Judas

Also, while the bat file does work, it appears that it doesn't ALWAYS work. I've had to manually go into the services and right click and START the service

8. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, that's what confused me with the 7.2's as well. I looked in the startup folder, nothing there. But you're correct it is in startup as shown by msconfig..
    ChrisC

9. theonlybabyface

Interesting. So try disabling it from starting up from the system startup list and place ccc in the startup folder. That should do it!!!

Argh...hate being at work right now. I'd like to test this.

10. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

Yeah, I've noticed that, but I guess in doing that we have pinpointed the problem with the drivers, now ATI just have to work their magic.

Adam

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  11. Judas

Vista from what i've experienced, has a weird issue with the Start Menu folders and files.

Something could be there and the start menu won't show it, and then something isn't there but the start menu still shows it.... i'm really confused with it, usually a system reboot will solve the problem of this weird deal.

However, Make sure you are in the ALL USER and not the Current User's start menu.

12. MissileMan

MissileMan New Member

I did the following exact steps:

Ran Cat 7.3 setup

Selected update (over 7.2)

When it completed I went into Control panel > Administrative tools > Services.

Set Ati External Event Utility to manual.

Rebooted.

Went to Start > Menu >Startup and right clicked.

Selected all users.

Right clicked in the folder and selected create new text file.

Named it ATIStart.bat

Right clicked the file and selected edit.

Typed the line exactly as : net start "Ati External Event Utility"

Closed and saved.

Rebooted.

Everything works perfectly now. The service starts everytime. Overdrive Tab has numbers and CrossFire is staying enabled.

I know this has already been explained by Cat Maker, but a lot of people are not programmers and such and Cat Maker left the quote marks off in the start command. This had the command window flash up but the service would never start. Most people would never figure out the issue.

Just trying to help a few people out.

13. theonlybabyface

Yes the quotes should be on there but don't blame Cat Maker, blame me as I sent him the instructions. :uhoh:

I will test a better way of doing this once I get home tonight and let you all know if it works...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  14. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

My issues seem to have mysteriously fixed themselves.

On another note. You know why I will always buy ATI? The driver team gives a crap. Just the fact they have a representitive posting here asking questions and trying to help out is awesome. Creative should take note.

15. fdisker

fdisker New Member

Ok, just getting back to town after a business trip so I'm able to test this now. Doing a fresh install of Vista just for consistency sake. For the record, I'm getting the BSOD after a clean install of Vista Ultimate 32 and Cats 7.3. I have a DVI to HDMI connection from the x1950pro to an Olevia 332h lcd hdtv.

I see that CatalystMaker recommends disabling the ATI External Event Utility as a way to stop the BSOD problem. I'll be testing that as soon as I finish my install. In the mean time the obvious question that no one seems to be asking is do I really NEED the external event utility service running in the first place? Will the drivers or card be in some reduced functionality state without the service running? If not, why even bother starting the service with a batch file after startup? Sorry if the question has been answered in a previous post. I just got home and was skimming thru the thread.

16. fdisker

fdisker New Member

Confirmed. Disabling the ATI External Event Utility allows me to boot with no BSOD. The service will remain disabled unless otherwise needed.

17. keeler

keeler New Member

Fdisker,
    Read up a couple of posts. If you game, yer gonna want to do the the missleman just posted..
    Rick

18. theonlybabyface

Unless you don't play any games then you'll want the service running...

19. MiQ

MiQ New Member

Same problem here, a clean install of Vista Ultimate + Catalyst 7.3 leads to a bsod using dvi, the problem is not present using vga. Then tryed disabling the ATI External Event service and using dvi, but now there's no bsod, the system crashes before the startup orb

20. Jerrold

Jerrold New Member

It seems that the External Event Utility Service has something to do with overclocking, and perhaps the profiles manager. If I don't run it the OC section is grayed out. I tried the suggested work-around from Judas and Terry and it fixed my BSOD, but I can't get the batch file to work from the all users startup folder. When I right click on the open Startup folder view I only get a folder under the New selection. I still have to manually start the service. I also tried just creating a batch file and running it from the desktop but still no go.

I'm running an old Sun Microsystems 20" VGA monitor just in case Terry was still interested. Still looks great.

By the way Excellent sleuthing guys! I think you've hit upon the problem.

Jer.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007