Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Spectre-63

Spectre-63 New Member

Way to go guys! Works like a charm here as well.:D

2. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

So now ATI should know what the issue is and fix it ASAP. I'm glad that you liked my fix !!!:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  3. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, I had my ticket returned from ATI, gave me a good laugh, this is what I put:

"whenever I install your 7.3 catalyst drivers upon rebooting I get a blue screen with wn32k.sys being flagged. I cannot use these drivers as I cannot get beyond the blue screen. I've tried a fresh install of vista with no change but the 7.2's do not have this issue."

This was their reply:
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

So much for them taking it seriously, anyway what we need now is a official response from Terry/ATI, to a proper fix to download. I know that they might need to test it first, however we are talking about operating systems being trashed and possible data loss. Not everyone has the skills to recover from this bsod that is happening...
    ChrisC

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

just a quick report... it BSODed on my amd x2 4400+ and x1300

5. shanok

shanok New Member

Here's an update from me as well.

I swapped out the X1300 in my system for my wife's X700 and it does it as well, in fact it does it even "faster".

With the X1300 I could read the BSOD before it rebooted, with the X700 all I see is a quick blue flash and then poof, reboot.

Funnily enough though, I think putting the X1300 in my wife's PC finally fixed the non-stop issue we've had with her system where any DVI based monitor would just stop working after a random period of time. It's still too early to be sure, but so far so good.

The only issue now is that X700 are a drop in speed from the X1300 so now my system seems like it's on sleeping pills while gaming for now.

*sighs* broke me gets to spend more money on an upgrade soon :(

6. oglsmm

oglsmm New Member

Intel P4 3.0 HT, ASUS P4C-800E, 2gb Ram and ATI x850XT

Installing 7.3 causes the system to get stuck in an endless reboot cycle. Disabling the External Event Utility Service seems to be the fix.

7. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, here's an update too: just performing a display driver update from 7.2 to 7.3 and retaining the 7.2 CCC results in the same bsod 5 out of 6 reboots...
    ChrisC

8. DaEnigma

DaEnigma New Member

My specs:

Vista Ultimate x86

Intel C2D e6600 (Scythe Infinity Cooler)
    EVGA NF68-AR 680i Sli (P26 bios)
    ATI 1950XTX
    2x1gb OCZ PC8800 Gold
    Seagate 320gb 7200.10 (SATA)
    Cavalry 500gb external drive (eSATA)
    Optiarc 7170 DVDRW (IDE)
    Teac Floppy
    Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
    Antec NeoHE 550w PowerSupply
    Microsoft Internet Pro keyboard (USB)
    Logitech MX518 Mouse (USB)
    Logitech X530 Speakers
    Creative Desktop Mic

Sceptre X20WG-Naga via DVI

I started getting a massive number of R300 recovery problems and BSOD's every few reboots as soon as I installed the 7.3 drivers, and sadly reverting to 7.2 did not help so I am at a total loss ATM...

9. ManicOps

ManicOps New Member

Hi all, just joined up to report that similar odd stuff is also happening here and this is after the quick fix tried earlier in the thread.

Catalyst 7.3's still BSOD in Vista and my D downloads partition became corrupt on the same drive, luckily there was nothing important on there. Still, something very damaging is going on with those drivers or interactions with other drivers. No such problems occurred with Catalyst 7.2 or 7.1

After the fix, I no longer get the win32k.sys BSOD but instead the BSOD mentions 'BAD POOL HEADER' and alternatively 'BAD POOL CALLER' at the point where the welcome screen shows. I've even tried safe mode but it rebooted soon after selecting the option. Fortunately, I had an Acronis True Image 10 backup with the 7.2's to restore from.

The usual suspect is memory but that has passed 2 days memtest testing and as I've said, no such corruption existed using previous driver versions.
    :sigh:

But no matter what the problem is i'm sure ATI will fix it! :D

10. Prof. Yaffle

Prof. Yaffle New Member

I'm getting the same BSOD as well. Spec is :-

C2D E6600
    Asus P5B E Mobo
    2gb Crucial RAM
    Sapphire X1950 Pro Ultimate
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
    Hitachi CML174SX TFT attached via DVI (no adapter)

I noticed when I eventually managed to get into Windows that it had also lost the drivers for my Media Center Remote Receiver as well:confused:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  11. JT2046

JT2046 New Member

My first two attempts with this method failed to start the service. Then manually start CCC OK. After reboot it has been well since then. Thankz for the tip.

12. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I got the BSOD on install. But I just played Company of Heroes for 4 hours straight and didn't have any issues. No crashes and better smooth frames for the most part. I even cranked up the shadows to high.

X1900 XTX by the way. I don't know why it just started working ok. I am not complaining of course.

13. mayo73

mayo73 New Member

bsod and lower clock rate

I am also getting bsod with the 7.3 .Did the work around but now I get a lower score in 3dmark 2006 . Went from 6100 with the 7.2 to 4600 with the 7.3. I think the problem comes from the card itself staying at a lower clock speed with the 7.3. I have a x1950xtx and when I start a game the fan spins up but with the 7.3 it does not. Went back to the 7.2 to wait for a fix.

14. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, so where are we now then, what's the official response from ATI/Terry?
    ChrisC

15. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

It is the weekend, ill have a chat with Terry on monday but I know ATI/AMD are checking this thread and making reports, taking info etc.

Im sure a fix will be forthcoming when they all come back to work this week.

16. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Patiently waiting. In the meantime, I'm back on 7.2's which work fine for me anyways. :p

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes and its nice to hear. I mean obviously people are annoyed this issue is occuring and its understandable. But trust me Terry really does care about the customers. Also thanks to Steve Morris (catalystcatcher) for helping as well on the forums, he does a lot of work on Catalyst too.....

18. Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit New Member

I too got the BSOD using Vista Ultimate in dual boot scenario with XP Pro SP2

Rather than fiddle around I uninstalled and reinstalled 7.2

Interesting to note that I complained to ATI/AMD and they are still denying that there is a problem, instead they keep asking me if I have .net 1.1 etc...sorry guys, I've got news, Vista is up to .net 3.0.
    I finally told them to use Google and check for themselves.

P4 HT @ 3.0ghz
    4gb RAM
    700gb HDD
    ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP
    Creative SB Audigy 4

19. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

:) Thanks for the thanks. I appreciate it.:)

Yes this one is tricky and seems to involve the timing and sequence with which things occur during the system startup. This is why delaying the External Event Utility has a huge impact on the problem.
    It may also invole components that not all users have enabled which may explain why our repro took so long in the labs. Of course it will take the SW gurus a while to go thru all the bits and bytes to determine the exact source of the problem.

Anyway, we are burning the midnight oil on this one.

Believe me when I say that we are very, very motivated and interested in resovling this issue as quickly as possible.

Thanks for everyones patience and understanding.

Steve (aka CC)

20. MURCer_BorG

MURCer_BorG "Fear the Bones"

Well, it is promising when you say that you are working around the clock but still cant understand why there is so big difference between CAT7.2 & 7.3 ?
    7.2 doses not have this problem and I cant even remember when I saw so a huge problem in the past I am with ATI from 8500 and this release is the worst ever.