Who has probs (BSOD's) with Vista and 7.3

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by keeler, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Dark79

Dark79 New Member

I figured out the cause of my BSOD's under Vista (which are not the win32k BSOD everyone else was getting) -> latest Intel Chipset Drivers

After fresh install of Vista I installed the Intel Chipset drivers and force updated drivers that didn't install on their own since they were newer than Microsoft drivers. Apparently, Intel's driver for "975x Memory Controller Hub - 277C" doesn't agree with the ATI drivers (or vice versa).

Reverting back to the Microsoft driver no longer BSODs when I enable and disable Crossfire. Haven't tried gaming yet, but will do that in a sec.

EDIT: Nevermind, after 2 more restarts I got stuck with the BSODs again....argh

EDIT2: Reinstalled Vista, but this time I didn't install the Intel chipset drivers and installed 7.3 Cats. I got the win32k BSOD at reboot, but was easily corrected with the ATIStart.bat. Crossfire worked without further BSODs (yay!) So for me it's definitely the chipset drivers. I'm going to try Windows XP (which also got errors) without the chipset drivers and see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. cuke2u

cuke2u New Member

Hi, I wish it was that easy and just down to the chipset drivers, however, as I'm not using the ones from Intel, that doesn't work for me. Good, though Dark79, if it does it for you...

Thanks for the info Zardon, and thanks ATI, for the update...
    Chrisc

3. Creamy Goodness

Creamy Goodness New Member

I assume I have the same problem, although my system seems to restart before the BSOD pops up. I'll disable that servcie and see if it works better, but it was rebooting about 4 out of 5 times when i restarted. I thought it was due to my overclocking or a USB device because when I restarted the computer last night it was caught in a reboot loop, probably restarted 10 times before i got pissed off and disable all my overclocking in the bios. Then I noticed it STILL wasn't booting into windows which pisses me off because I just replaced a bunch of defective hardware, so I was wondering if maybe some driver or service was crashing it. So yeah, I just disabled the service and i'm gonna restart a few times to see if it's magically fixed now... I'll add some more info here in a minute.

-edit-

Yeah i just restarted 4 times without any problems (twice at stock speed and twice with the cpu/ram settings modified in the bios) so it's pretty safe to say I have the same 'bsod' issue even though I never saw the actual stop error or found anything in the event log. My computer is fairly fast and apparently this issue is something to do with the timing of things on boot, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm running windows vista ultimate 32-bit. It's installed on part of a raid-0 array and the 1.5 gb swap file is on a gigabyte i-RAM.
    mobo is msi k8n neo4 platinum
    cpu is opteron 165 (dual core)
    2x512mb crucial ballistix ddr400 2-2-2-6
    saphire radeon x1950 xtx
    dell 2407wfp on dvi
    acer at3705 on dvi > hdmi adapter (currently disabled)
    auzentech hda xplosion 7.1 sound
    ms/razer habu mouse @100hz / 2000dpi, saitek eclipse 2 keyboard on usb

since you mentioned something about media player possibly conflicting, i'll mention i have an xbox360 on the same network and it's not set up to 'share' my media with the 360 but it does pop up to say it detected a media center extender or whatever from time to time.
    Some less common things running as services and drivers that may also be conflicting are 'daemon tools', opti-safe sentinel (ups software), ralink wireless lan card, nmindexingservice (some nero crap i should probably disable), noipducservice (update service for no-ip.com).
    I also have office 2007 and visual studio 2005 installed.
    I doubt any of this matters since people are reporting this problem on fresh installs, however.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  4. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Zardon has suggested that this be posted here in this thread, even though the issue is with Windows XP SP2.

Greetings,

I have been faced with much trouble this wkd with these ATI Catalyst 7.3 driver sets for Windows XP 32bit.

My issue is this:

[​IMG]

Every time I play Armed Assault this BSOD occurs, seems to be only with A.I set to "high". Other games are also doing this.

Attempted fixes:

Reimaged PC
    Removed games/reinstalled games
    Updated directx 9c
    Ran Memtest for 7hrs - no errors
    Updated PC with all MS patches inc SP2

I've installed Catalyst 7.2 and the problem has gone away - or seems too.

ATI have noted this problem here: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=23354 but only with regard to Windows Vista... this is occurring on XP 32Bit with a ATI x1950 PCIE 512MB.

Has anyone else seen this?

5. jumpyjim

jumpyjim ATI FanBoi

Great to see the Catalyst team are troubleshooting things :) I haven't encountered any BSOD (touch wood), but I have had Vista hard locking when exiting games. This has only started since installing the x64 7.3's. Intel C2D 6400, Gigabyte 965P-DQ6, 4 GB GeiL DDR2 800MHz, 4 x 320GB Barracudas, Connect3D X1950XT-X (DVI->HDMI), 32" Mirai LCD

6. Intelman

Intelman New Member

I've been having these exact problems, I didn't know it to be caused by my ATI drivers until now. I did memtest pulled sticks out and everything. These drivers are such a pain. I hope this is resolved quickly!

Opteron 170
    DFI Nforce 4 Ultra-D
    3GB Ram
    x1900xt
    Creative X-FI XtremeGamer

7. dcs49

dcs49 New Member

Same problem BSOD and constant reboots.

Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq name: Lithium-UL8E
    CPU/Processor Socket: 775
    Onboard audio or audio card Integrated Intel High Definition (TM) audio (Azalia)
    Realtek ALC 882 chipset
    3Gb DDR2-SDRAM
    RADEON X600 Series [Display adapter]
    ViewSonic VX924 [Monitor]

8. drummerh

drummerh New Member

I'm a bit fed up. I spent nearly £900 on new bits this weekend and built myself a nice quick computer, having read reviews of all the parts I bought. I installed Vista, the popped the graphics card drivers (x1950) on and I get the same problem - bluescreen every time.
    I managed to disable the offending service, but it's not really a long term fix.

If it helps:

Core Duo E6600
    2x 1GB OCX Platinum
    X1950 Pro
    ASUS P5W DH
    A light wallet

9. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

dcs49 and drummerh are you on Vista or XP 32bit? There is a thread also at Guru3d about XP SP2 doing the same thing.

10. dcs49

dcs49 New Member

Vista Home Premium 32-bit

11. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

Hey can you tell me what USB devices you have plugged in?

12. cabab

cabab New Member

I also encounter the BSOD after installing 7.3. I am using a Dell 5150 with a pentium 4 3.0 an 3gb memory.

I have the following usb devices installed:
    Sweex 54Mbps usb wireless lan
    Standard Dell keyboard and mouse(bet I am the only one here ;))
    The philips MCE remote control(2005 version)
    Trust wireless MCE keyboard
    My Book 500GB external HD

well that's it. Hope it contributes to the solution

13. JohnY2

JohnY2 New Member

I have been testing the Catalyst drivers on a couple of older Via chipset boards (AK38n Shuttle KT333ce 1.5GB Fic A97p AGP 9700pro, and CUV4X-DLS Asus Apollo Pro694X A97p 9700pro AGP 1.0 GB) The only driver(s) that don't BSOD with a Stop 0x00000116 in atikmdiag are the drivers shipped with Vista Ultimate RTM and RC2. Sometimes the 831 package works. 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 mostly BSOD (occassionally I've had them working but with no consistancy.)

On the CUV4X-DLS w/ 2x1G PIII's I get a Experience Index of 1.0 (?) and a 2.9 on the KT333ce with an Athlon XP+ 2.0G but only the original shipping Vista drivers work.

JohnY2

I have tried with and without CCC and with and without ATI External Event Service disabled with no change in behavior.

14. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Funny. This thread is longer than the official cat 7.3 thread. I think that there's something wrong. :D

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

16. theonlybabyface

17. Judas

Well then, anyone not sure how to create the BAT file or what to do, click the link i posted, read the instructions, and temporarly fix your BSOD.

The only problem is,

Trying to get back into windows to actually do what i posted...

18. theonlybabyface

Unfortunately, the only true fix is to replace the Cat 7.3's with the 7.2's or for ATI to replace the 7.3's with a new hotfix. :tears:

19. Judas

that's true.. but those that may benifit from the 7.3 fixes.. (such as myself) this is so far the only REAL Alternative that i can, and anyone else can, really benifit from.

20. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

Hi, just registered to try to help on this topic. I've had Cats 7.3 since day 1, and so far, I haven't had a single BSOD, or any problem for that matter.

I have Vista Enterprise 32-bit, and my configuration is:

AsROCK 939Dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695/M1567)
    AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2.5GHZ
    2x512 Kingmax SuperRAM
    Connect3D Radeon 9600XT

I have Samsung SyncMaster connected on DVI, and i have PQI USB connected for ReadyBoost. I'm an IT student, so I extensively use programs such as Visual Studio 2005, Maya, 3DS Max etc. No problem with any game I've played also.
    I hope I've been of help, at least a little bit.
    Cheers. :cool:

EDIT: Catalyst A.I. is set to Advanced in my case.