Who made makes the best muscle cars?

Discussion in 'Petrol Heads Forum' started by VCS2600, Apr 16, 2010.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The new retro muscle cars are kinda pants. The real modern day muscle cars are things like TVRs, and maybe even rocket saloons like AMG Mercedes.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I didn't say they were, I just said that A less powerful european car would outrun them on a curvy road. :)

3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Dude, a 195HP 6.6L v8 engine? how weak! my 3L v6 engine puts out 5HP more than that! I bet that thing also only went like 150 miles on a single tank of gas too.

Is Ford last on that list because of its lack of Muscle cars? IDK, but I think the only muscle car Ford really had/has is just the Mustang. Everything else is either a truck or some sort of family car. Some people may consider the Taurus SHO as a "Muscle car", but it's really just a family car on steroids :bleh:

American cars have come a long way in terms of handling capabilities over the years. They are much nimbler and "spunky" around turns and such compared to their ancestors. Asian cars have always been light and easy to handle but it wasn't up until the last 10 years or so that they've been getting pumped up in the HP and TQ numbers.

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

For me it was the value for the dollar, when you returned from overseas duty with all the money you squirreled away you could afford to buy any MOPAR machine with a kick ass powerplant, robust tranny and a carb that sound like Niagra Falls when you removed the Air Cleaner cover. My father bought several and I owned a 72 Dodge Charger for years, loving every neck snapping gas guzzling minute of the acceleration, on those cold desert mornings in Arizona....
    Nothing compares to primitive muscle, not even the wankers on Top Gear pulling their puds in German, Japanese or French cars or the occasional Aston Martin.
    You didnt care about cornering or nimbleness, you just flat out kicked ass on lesser vehicles and mail trucks on your 6 second run from one stop sign to another.
    Sammy Hagar said it best. "I CANT DRIVE 55".

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

You got that right :)

These young whippersnappers just don't understand that.

All of this "hi tech" HP is OK, but it just doesn't give the FEEL of a big ass V8 rumbling and loping (if you had a 3/4 or full race cam in it), and then the brute sound of it when you mashed the pedal, and it started sucking $.35/gal 100+ Octane gas at the rate of 5-6 MPG :D

As for the original question:

As ordered off the floor, probably the MoPARs.

If you "worked" on them with some after market parts, FORD.

6. VCS2600

VCS2600 New Member

I would say cars like the Magnum XE come from the most honest HP ratings era. 200 hp in 1979/80 was something like 250-300 HP in the good 'ol gross days. Take the 1985 TPI Corvette, only 230 hp, but 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds. Also the 1974 255 HP Matador X Coupe 401, 0-60 mph in 7 seconds dead. Not bad for an inter smogger. The horses seemed to have longer legs in the 1972-88 period, IMO.:cool:

[​IMG]

AMC Pride! :taste: