Who's Killing MP3 and ITunes?

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Wired News
    ________
    Everyone knows the MP3 format is used by more devices and people than any other file-based digital-audio format. Most also know that record labels prefer DRMed alternatives such as the ones sold by Apple's iTunes, because they make it harder for people to share music.

But wait -- was that a pig flying past my window just now? Evidence is mounting that major labels may start to prefer the MP3 format, as impossible as that used to seem.

Here are seven reasons why MP3 is the future of the music industry.

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

just dont get mp3s. convenience & flexibilty wise it is great. but sound quality still leaves a lot to be desired. for me their is no reason to buy yet another format.

3. Witchhunter

Witchhunter New Member

I have to agree with you on that one, but the majority of people are more than willing to put up with substandard quality, it's the same in almost every industry or business. I'm in graphic and web design, the majority don't care about quality fonts or design, a friend of mine was a chef for many years and he always complained about the awful food people were happy to eat.

Maybe MP3's will just make CD's more special like CD's did to vinyl, I'd be ok with that so long as they continue with Vinyl and CD formats.

4. Rawr

Rawr New Member

What is wrong with high quality vbr formatted MP3s?

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

vbr chews up battery life of devices, as does higher bitrates…

360kbps mp3 is acceptable, as long as the price of a song is <half that of a song on a CD release

6. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Almost nobody notices any difference past 192 vbr or so anyway. I use flacs for storage, ogg vorbis for playback anyway, no mp3 for me.

7. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Always felt that cds were just uncomfortable, they take up so much space. Its more of a thropy thing for most people, something to have around to showcase your music collection. Ironicly I enjoy Vinyl and its pretty much the only format besides mp3/ogg that I play.