Why do you Fold

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by PandaZ3, Feb 24, 2007.

1. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Someone asked why I keep my computers on... "Folding!" says I. Why says they.

Well I do like to see how I progress points wise on the statistics page and see if I can improve my position in line and that is a bit fun to see...

But I have a history with Cancer, not my own body, but friends and relatives... The first was my aunt in 1957. She had built Liberty ships in WWII, installing Asbestos... She did the Christain Science thing with no medication... tough way to go! The oldest boy of three was in the 4th grade I believe, my Uncle never re-married and raised the three boys by himself .... They all turned out well, but if they had their Mom...Who knows..

I was overseas when my Grandmother died. She was 96, had never learned to drive and never had a Pap smear, Cervical Cancer ....

My Dad was a lifelong smoker, the damage was likely done by the time the health risks became well known.. He beat Cancer once for around 5 years, but it came back with Vengece in 1995...So much family history, I'll never know. Grade School dropout, Anglo migrant Farm worker, Mexican music lover, Gold and Copper miner, Aircraft Worker (Lockheed P-38s), Aluminum factory, Logger, Infantryman, Farmer and Rancher. Genuine working Cowboy (Boots and Saddles, Spurs and Lariets, Chaps and a .41 Colt, Rope tricks, he had them all)... my probing into his past is done, but I know there was more that I will never know now...

A close Frind got Cancer before my Dad died, but he lived three months longer. I visited him the day he died of Everything Cancer ... started in a kidney, they operated and it spread everywhere. A highly decorated and caring individual... forever gone.

My Mom told me that another Cousin was "Sick" I thought she meant the Flu... she did'nt mean the Flu ... He was buried before I even found out it was serious.

Four years ago I called another ailing frined, Not a smoker himself, but he lived with them. tremendous guy...he died later that day ... I was his last call ... as I had been with my other friend and my Dad.

So why do I fold, not for them they can't use the help ... as you may have guessed not for me as it won't likely make a difference for me ..and no I'm not "Sick" But it might save mys sons, or a niece or a nefew... they are worth it to me. They are why I Fold.

How about you

2. Calinerti

Calinerti New Member

I think that one day, there is going to be some incredible news associated with F@H. Some breakthrough that every individual who saw fit to download and install it will feel a part of. Thats going to be quite special. And I think that every DH member who is on the team will feel proud that their online community has been a part of it. Thats why I'm F@H.

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

today I got some bad news that I was waiting and they gave me new reason to fold...

4. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, A co-worker has a form of Lukemia, but her's is easily treatable she is told.

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah my uncle has cancer... I do hope that he will beat it.

[EDIT] Pancreatic cancer to more exact ... :(

6. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

Cancer seems to touch everyone some way or other. I hope your uncles fight is successful.

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah I hope that too :)

8. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

I fold in memory of my wife's grandmother, who succumbed to pancreatic cancer 18 months ago.

I fold in memory of my grandmother, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease until her death in 2000.

I fold in hope for my son, and any future grandchildren, that someday we will beat these diseases that take so many from us.

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

all of the above.