why does iTunes run so crappy on some PCs?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Man, iTunes is probably the biggest abomination of software to be widely used. The interface is absolutely a piece of crap compared to windows media player IMO and it crashes left right and center, yet its a premier app for music. And of course, if you want to use all the features of your iPod you have to run through it (alternatives are good, but doesn't have every feature). But my problem is this: my quad core has always ran itunes absolutely terrible, yet my school laptop which has a core 2 duo t7100 runs itunes rather fine. Both are running vista, the laptop has half the ram and likes to spend a good 5 minutes installing iTunes whereas my desktop spends 45 seconds, which it should. But running it, iTunes freezes since iTunes 6, takes 20 seconds to close, lags when scrolling (on both computers). Is there a rfix for my quad core that runs iTunes terribly and my laptop runs it rather decently. I unfortunately have to rely on it for my new iPhone a bit more.

iTunes 8 is even worse. Poor coding all over for Windows version of iTunes.

2. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Are there software differences? Quicktime was installed with itunes? Have you tried 8.1?

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

latest version and everything. its almost like it doesn't like my setup. it was very crappy on my old p4 2.66ghz years ago. Quicktime is installed and i kill every running process in the back from quicktime because i despise it and use the vista codec pack. Both laptop and desktop are configured the same way. Actually, default settings iTunes runs at but the laptop runs it more than half decent. The quadcore just struggles, but it doesn't interrupt anything else since it powers through most stuff like a joke.

4. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

The latest update gave me some very noticable improvements as far as startup time and scrolling. I have a very large library so it used to be terrible, sometimes 30+ seconds to start. With the latest update, it only takes a few and it's not crashed on me yet.

As far as the design, etc. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me anymore. All of these programs do the same stuff for me (read its a list of music), so one is pretty similar to the next. Now that its easy to get DRM free stuff at the store, its much better.

5. VampyrByte

VampyrByte New Member

iTunes is just shit. put simply. Used to use it, was fine in the beginning on my old Dell (Celeron 1.3Ghz, 256MB RAM). then when i gradually got more music and a new computer (Sempron 3000+ 1.5GB RAM) it started to lag like shit when scrolling, and taking ages just to do anything. Both of those computers were running Windows XP, and using whatever was the latest versions of itunes at the time.

I'm just downloading Itunes 8.1 (x64) to see if i still get the issues on my current rig, with my library of about 4000 songs, about 4 times the size as it was when i last used iTunes. Personally i find Winamp to be a more than adequate replacement for iTunes, if you only use your ipod for music, and couldnt care for the firmware updates on your ipod give it a shot if you havent already. It works flawlessly with my Ipod Nano (2nd Gen).

BiGBrOwNPimpsta likes this.
  6. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

i haven't used winamp in years, too small and whimpy. since wmp integrates with media center, downloads my music details nice and quick and works with codec packs its my all in one solution. i am happy to see wmp12 in win7 will be supporting a lot of formats. Even if my library is empty on my desktop i have about 2100 songs I think, it lags like a bastard. My iPhone took 3 minutes to update album artwork. Its pretty lame.

7. VampyrByte

VampyrByte New Member

I aggree winamp is pretty naff for everything except music. I dont use it for videos, i use VLC for that.
    I just installed Itunes and was pleastly suprised at the speed at which i managed to import 3200 songs. The lag when scrolling is still slightly present, but is no where near as bad as it used to be, and I could put up with it. Oddly enough, it lacks the one thing i most like about Winamp, wihch is the way it seperates Artists and Tracks up.
    In Winamp you can select an artist, which shows the albums from that artist, and then the tracks from the slelected album. In itunes you just get lumped with it all in a great list. I would find 300 playlists in a folder more intutive.
    </Anti-Apple-Rant>
    The software appears to work fine on my machine though. Are you using the x64 version of itunes, i see you are using Vista x64 so i guess you would be. This is the version i used.
    Takes about 5 seconds to load, and even less to close. No complaints on the performace side from me. But then i have only used it to play about 4 songs and check if my ipod needed those Firmware updates, it didnt, great legacy support Apple, its only the most popular Nano. Oh well. :p

8. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

Limewire pro is still my friend sorry to say, but I tried VLC people praise too much. Feels to dated and useless. I also made thread that I like media center and wmp integrates great with it. In addition, I am very used to the feel of vista when everything pops up when you hover over it. Can't get used to iTunes how everything is so flat. It keeps adding useless features and just extremely annoying.

So no one knows how I could optimize performance for iTunes?

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo best optimisation is the removal of itunes.....

but that's just me...

10. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

lol, too bad i need it for my iPhone

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

pimpsta the day you listen to Judas ill need to kick your a$$ myself ;)

Wish I could help, I don't remember having many issues with itunes on the PC (apart from the odd crash now and again), but it does run a lot better on the macintosh.

Did you try a deinstall, reg clean and reinstall from fresh?

12. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

this has been the situation after reformatting and making sure everything is at default. the performance has been shit since my old p4 2.66ghz. That has been the situation since iTunes 6. my crappy laptop runs it fine which is funny, I saw people complain about the same problem on apples forums but from vista codec

13. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Not sure what to say, apart from agreeing with Judas then. Or you could get a mac? :)p) Ive personally gave up on windows as a main operating system for quite a while to be honest. That said I ran itunes on a quad core and an 8 core machine for months and it was fine (vista 64 bit).

Incidentally you do some complaining man! maybe we should call you the bigbrownwhinga ? ;)

14. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

i'm an angry man ahha thats why, i speak the truth always. But why didn't you live with skulltrail? Website management tasks easier on the mac huh? Oh man, i hope an 2x8core 3way SLi board comes for i7. Overall, its a very odd problem with iTunes. And it eats away at me!

I just get annoyed when issues are fairly widespread and the manufacturer does nothing such as this issue on the PS3 which has a thread 35 pages long I was a part of Problems streaming mpeg-4 video after 2.20 update - PLAYSTATION®3 Media - PlayStation.com Forums

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

did it just a get a bit fridged in here?..... i swear hell froze over just for a split second there

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

that's your problem

itunes uses quicktime as it's playback engine

17. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

read above, the setup is the same on both my laptop and the desktop. I kill quicktime on both. I do run the itunes detection so when I plug in my iPod/iPhone iTunes does pop up.

18. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

Honestly though, since it uses quicktime to emulate the "quartz extreme" of macintosh to get the same effects it may be doing something nasty. Is it possible that your hard drive, optimization (or lack there of) of your setup may be causing issues?

Also it does page to the hard disk a bit especially when doing multiple things. Anyhow. Just suggestions, you cant kill quicktime without causing alot of problems in itunrs.

19. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

I stopped using Itunes and my Ipod and switched to the Zune 120gig and could not be any happier!

But I never had a system problem with Itunes on my Vista 64 bit or when I had it loaded up on windows 7... I have to agree it does suck as an app just in general, but can't comment on it not being stable..

Zune software just looks nicer, and if you sign up for the monthly plan you can download as much music as you want to your zune or even if you don't have one you still can listen to it on your computer. It costs $15/month However you can keep 10 songs a month for free DRM free as well.

I think it is the best deal around. IMO it is a lot better than paying $1/song or even getting the music from another way ;)

Also I have to think Apple codes the windows stuff like crap because they can, but if they really want to show they make great stuff I don't think it helps any lol. Really the Ipod never would have gotten as popular as it is now without the PC. You think at least they could make it easy for us to use.

20. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Man, I don't get this at all...

Been getting into using my Ipod Touch the past several weeks. I had it jailbroken, but abandoned that and updated to the latest 2.x update for the Touch this past week. Installed the latest Itunes with Quicktime and synced with this PC - got almost 3 Gigs of music on here...

Itunes is ready in about 5 seconds after I click to start it, which includes syncing - no kidding. Seems about as snappy as any other robust/full featured Windows media software. Granted, I haven't done much with it or the software - just a newb - but it doesn't suck at all.

If I'm doing something wrong, I think I'd like to continue :)D) - but maybe I can help with the config since my setup for this is so new.

I don't know how to help much with this really, but if you ask me questions I'll do my best to answer.

Since it runs ok on your laptop and not on your quad I'd say it's a config issue of some kind...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009