Why HH Loves the new year!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mousey, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

So year after year we've simply had a thread where we wish each other happy new year in varying states of sobriety (i'm probably the worst for it, Mobile keyboards are tough at best let alone when your judgement is impaired), But this year i thought i'd open up a little discussion about why you love the new year and christmas time at HH :D

This year i nipped out to the pub as per with my buddies from League, we talked tactics, had a few beers, sang our way through the countdown and had our typical almighty cheer session when the clock strikes midnight.

But this year i've returned home still more or less sober (asthma attack hit me in the cold, thought i'd come home
    after a mere 3 pints D: !) and i thought i'd ask the community, what do you love most about the new year and what do you want to do/change/accomplish?

Here's my three things i want to accomplish in 2015;
    - Reach at least Gold divison on League of Legends
    - Pay off all my credit on this hardware and add my 980 to the water loop
    - Move out of my parent's house

What's yours? :D

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

So, my aims for the new year- for 2015.
    In order of achievement:

- Finish my Master's Degree. I have about 30 days to complete my Masters thesis from now
    - Finish my portfolio- after which I will apply for jobs
    - Go back to the Netherlands to visit friends and family I haven't seen for 5 years
    - Travel around Europe for a couple of months, hopefully on motorbike
    - Move to Christchurch, as there are many more job opportunities there than in Wellington where I live now
    - Embark upon the great adventure that is that of a working adult, who actually enjoys his job.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'll get back to you in 2016...

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Bwahahahahahaha!!!! Ty, you're a real nutcase lol. :D

Well, I don't really have any resolutions, apart from just living life the same way as I am doing so now. As much as I am surprised myself and to the surprise of other people as well I am actually happy and don't think I need to change anything actually. If it ain't broke don't fix it eh? :p

5. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

For me, it will be getting a full time job. Having finished my Uni degree at the end of 2014, this will be my first step into 'the real world'.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

First of all, Happy New Year, anyway! :)

Actually, at my age, getting to the next year IS a valid goal! ;)

During this year I have quite a bit of work to do getting the full benefit from my cochlear implant. I've made quite a bit of progress in just the nine weeks since it was first activated. (I've even managed to make just a few direct phone calls from my cellphone under necessary means. Mind you, there's been no full conversations, but, just making those calls took quite a bit of nerve on my end.)

With my younger son and daughter-in-law expecting their 2nd son this coming May, that will bring me up to having 10 (TEN) grandchildren! I actually can remember as a young man wondering if I'd ever have any KIDS of my own, let alone, grandkids!

And, also due to my age, they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. That may be why I'm really not planning on making any big changes this year. If there is one, it's simply improving my credit score which lagged due to many, many years of not using any credit at all. So, if there's one thing I can pass along from experience it's this: DO, by all means, establish some credit rather than using cash only all the time. You need this in order to actually build a credit score. Just be sure to make all the timely payments and at the least, pay more than the minimum amount due each time.

May this year, 2015, bring some joy and success to each and all of us!

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Meh.. I just wanna get a better job which pays more than this one am in right now. since am now way over qualified since getting my Masters degree... other than that happy New year to all you HH members and your families.

8. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Well, a couple days late on this but happy new year so far for everyone.

I guess for me, it's figuring out where I want to go in the IT field and whether or not going back to school and accumulating that kind of debt at this age makes sense or not. The future at my job is up in the air as we got bought out by another company last year and we're still in the midst of a migration as there is just so much to do with systems that are not compatible with each other. This won't be completed until roughly Aug of this year. After that, part of the site that I'm at will be going to Ireland and the other will be moving locally about 20 min's away.

I have, or now I should say had, my MCSE for Win NT 4.0 and Server 2k but I've let it slide and haven't kept up on it and since about 2011 all I've been working on is Cisco Switches and haven't really been keeping up on Server side as much. I've played around with Server 2012 and have a domain setup at the house as it's a whole lot easier to manage the time the kids are on the pc's but with the closing of my site eventually, I'm not sure where exactly I want to go or do. I love working with switches but where I'm at, the field is getting more and more outsourced and managed remotely. It's the same with server side and IT in general.

So that's my goal for the year, try and figure that out and what I'd like to do moving forward after this current position.