Why I've gone back to IE

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Takaharu, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Yup, it's been a few year but I have indeed decided to give IE a whirl again.

Opera was my preferred browser. However, since they decided to adopt Chromium as their base a lot of my favourite features have pretty much disappeared. The Speed Dial, for example, no longer provides the ability to use hot key numbers. I was also a fan of typing a single letter to start searching a different search engine (w, for example, meant searching Wikipedia and y was YouTube).
    I might go back to Opera again but I'm going to give it time to settle down from the migration period.

Chrome was the backup to Opera and seems to be the de-facto standard now, particularly as it has the market share. Like Opera it saves my settings between systems using a sign-in account, has some plugins that I like using and generally does the job. Also like Opera I could use the single letter search engine switch.
    One major issue that I've found with Chrome, however, is that it's slow. Whenever I load up Chrome it takes a few seconds (maybe three, tops) to load the Google homepage. Once it's going, fine, but the initial load is noticeably slower than IE.

Firefox I've never really gelled with. Don't know why but something didn't quite stick. I use it on Linux as my primary browser and will probably do the same with OSX.

IE works perfectly with Visual Studio (Chrome has a hissy fit), nippy as bugger with SSD systems (opening, loading pages, the works) and generally gets the job done. It's a browser that displays webpages.
    Run. I really don't understand why most other browsers don't allow you to choose between downloading a file to a specific location and just clicking "run" where it downloads it to a temp location. FF, IE does it. Why not everything else?
    The lack of auto-HD on YouTube is pretty much made up for by retaining the settings between videos.

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Slightly related note, on Win 8 IE handles 4K resolution better than Chrome too. There are tweaks for Chrome which improve it but the IE visual experience is still better.

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

IE isn't bad anymore. I'm just mainly on Chrome for a handful of very useful extensions.
    I use IE for some things and it's nice to have it around in a "clean" state without any plugins, not even Flash.

I keep Opera as a third partly because I'm curious to see where they are going, while also using it for Battlefield 4 which starts through a web plugin. It would have been interesting to see some browser adding support for running completely separated instances of the same software, but that doesn't seem to be on the menu. So I'll probably keep using more than one browser for a very long time.

4. Takaharu

Now that you mention it, when I was using Bootcamp, IE looked a heck of a lot better than Chrome. Viewing search results on any browser was diabolical though.
    Here's a screenshot of Google's search results with a full-size 1920x1200 wallpaper next to it for comparison.

5. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

perhaps this post would be better suited for this thread... /tongueincheek

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm still clinging to (what's left of) Opera, but, while it hasn't been my primary browser in ages, IE will be one of the two strongest contenders (with FF) when I finally give up.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I wrote up a long post... and then the machine I was on decided to reboot itself to apply updates..

suffice it to say.... I was thoroughly unhappy about that so I didn't come back to this.

But the TL;DR version was simply...

I've tried all the browsers.. honestly tried.... I run all the browsers with mostly entirely vanilla plugins/add-ons and keep security where they belong.

Silverlight/adobe flash is about all I run on them... no toolbars.. no ad-blocks... nothing else.

Everytime I try a browser I give it a good run, and I keep coming back to IE as the primary.

IE9 was the first (and only) IE version in which I ran into issues that were SPECIFICALLY related to certain websites preferences for downloading.. aside fro mthat even that browser was actually pretty good.

I install Firefox Nightly x64 on all the machines I fix and setup... It's specifically used in cases in which the developers and website administrators have PURPOSELY ignored IE and in some cases have INTENTIONALLY made it impossible to view the website.

A ton of shitty webmail provided by ISPs are totally non-functional on IE even.....

But overall, IE still fires up the fastest, loads the fastest or equivalently to that of even chrome at it's best.

And frankly it pisses me off to no end how it's become a meme and people actually believe is 100% accurate to such a degree that there are people currently living today.. that has never used IE for any significant length of time because they were born into using firefox. It's sad... really..... that such a massive amount of people think chrome is the defacto thing.

However what's really irritating is that many of the customers I've ran into have brought their machines in to "GET RID OF CHROME......".... to find a machine with chrome installed and set as primary due to whatever program installing it and making IE simply vanish from their options.... "I want my blue e back!"

I think a good chunk of people would still prefer IE... specially now that chrome and firefox have been thoroughly targeted.

In the end.... I've just never ever really ever had an issue with IE.... no virus issues, no crap spam shit all over..... Anything IE has suffered the other browsers have suffered in much the same way or worse.

The community of anti-IE has become nothing more than a bunch of people with a superiority self image egotistical idiots.

8. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

At one point i had many browsers installed. IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, but my default has always been the following: IE set as default browser (if links or prgs open a browser, it goes to IE) and for everyday usage, Firefox (i manually load it up when comp is booted).

No matter what i try, i always come back to FF. Something ticks me off in the other browser and i quickly load FF again. I wish i had made a list over the years. To be honest, maybe some of those annoyances have been changed, i have not touched Chrome, Opera or Safari in a long time.

On my Surface however, pinch zooming is no contest. IE = Lightsaber through butter, FF = dull spoon through the soles of my boots.

9. Takaharu

Yeah, that was (and still is) a heck of a meme; did IE users really get that annoyed by a browser?!! What happened, did it not display any webpages - that only thing a web browser is supposed to do!?

The thing that really and I mean really blows my mind is the amount of people that know how to do little more than use Facebook telling others to install a different web browser. WHY?!?!?!?!?!?! You use it for one job and one job only and it does that job pretty darn well. Who are you to recommend an alternative to somebody even more computer-illiterate than you? [/rant]

IE haters - explain yourselves.

10. IvanV

I think that the people who really got rightfully annoyed by IE were developers. Back in the day, you could more or less get away with writing a single variation of code for all of the browsers - except for IE. IE was in a world of its own, with standards of its own, and if you wanted to support more than one browser, you had to do engine detection and then write (at least) one version for IE and one for everything else. And that went for your HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

As for the users, it is a fact that Firefox and Opera already resembled modern browsers when IE was still in version 6. IE6, among other things, had no tabs, it had extremely poor download management (no pause/resume, every download opened a small pop-up etc) and was the most exploited browser by far (partly due to popularity, partly due to being really poorly written in that respect). Except that at that time when it was truly crap, almost everyone was still using IE (worth mentioning, though, is that in those times, IE6 was actually more likely to give you correct rendering than any other browser, not because it was good, but due to its overwhelming market share; a lot of developers simply wouldn't bother with testing for other browsers).

Still, as Firefox started to enjoy more mainstream adoption, as its users urged their less technical friends and family members to switch from IE (fewer exploited vulnerabilities translated to less free labor being required from the more technical parties), it slowly seeped down to the masses that "people in the know" didn't use IE. And that opinion keeps spreading among the masses to this day, even though in the meantime IE has vastly improved in every respect.

So just like many once knew IE was the right stuff because it came originally with Windows, many now "know" that it is crap and slow and whatnot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

it's just that those that aren't in the know are just a couple of years after the fact. They were running IE when it was actually slow and exploitable. Now IE is actually good, and they are running FF or Opera etc, because they think IE is slow and exploitable.

The only reason I was/am running FF is because of plugin support which I am not sure IE does...

12. IvanV

That was sort of my point, only in probably too many words for it to be clear. :lol:

13. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I just hate Chrome and the kind of status it's gotten. Even some web developers have stopped using anything else with the result that pages look like crap in anything else since they use auto scaling code that only works with Chrome. I know of a fresh site that's like this and I visit it every day but starting to feel I'm gonna give up if they don't fix this issue.

Besides that I switch between IE and FF. Don't know why really, one should be enough but some pages just work better in one or the other. I'm not touching chrome again, I just don't agree with it's layout.

14. IvanV

I didn't know that. Sounds like Chrome is the new IE.

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah chrome IS the way the IE meme is.

in fact, Granted that i6 at the time that it ran (came standard in windows XP's launch) which was rushed.. and then all the legal battles that came about which while on paper it says micrsoft abandoned ie not to mention windows for several years, but it was mostly down to the fact that the EU and numerous monopoly related court/legalities were seriously stifling not only windows itself.. but IE heavily. In fact Windows xp was rushed out the door due to those serious events taking place. (reason why it was total trash until SP1a and then wasn't pretty much unanimously agreed that SP2 MADE it the way XP should have launched.... so many people still ignore the FACT that windows xp was labeled ME II.

I know several users that bitch at other users for using for example.... images in some emails or bb code in a manner specially on web based chats or whatnot that will royally fuck up your chrome experience until those images or whatever is removed... it's unpredictable and random.

The only thing "wrong" with IE is the fact that it still even with IE11, uses a older rendering system that actually is crazy optimised (as one web developer I talk to said).... It's incredibly efficient for the kind of system that is being used. The tried and true method...

IF Microsoft wasn't in so much shit in the early 2000's, i'm sure we would have seen ie7 much sooner instead of the 5 year wait to get IE7...

16. NotMyType

NotMyType New Member

IE isn't bad as it used to be, but it's my third choice, behind Chrome and Opera.

17. Takaharu

I've just installed Nightly as Judas mentioned it. So far it's pretty good; I like the layout and it's nice and nippy. It seems like an amalgamation of pretty much every other browser. Plus, it has the keyword search bar that I like.
    IE is still my default but I'm going to see how things go and which one I like the best.

18. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Until I come up with the necessary semolians to obtain Win2008 R2, or somebody can finger out a way for me to scam a viable copy that won't get me burned, I'm stuck with IE8. That's the last version avail for WinXP based systems such as mine, i.e., Win2003 R2.

I stuck with Win98 SE IE5.5 despite increasing number of web-sites refused to connect to my machine. I was forced to upgrade to WinXP because college demanded that I do so (lest their precious softwares, e.g., Visual Studio 2005, Visio, etc., that they dictate run on students machines didn't). The default WinXP browser was IE6 (IE5.5 was end of the road for Win 98 SE). I confess: I'm extremely happy I was forced to upgrade out of Win 98 SE; memory management in WinXP is leaps and bounds better.

One of my C++ programming classmates questioned my sanity concerning my WinXP primary desktop OS; Win Server 2003 was SO much better, everything WinXP runs at least just fine, and as single user primary desktop OS it doesn't have to have all the server stuff enabled. I just looked at him like he had the three heads that he did.

It wasn't until I took the college Win2003 Management Principles course and I discovered that one can get free fully licensed professional category software w/ no expiry date when one is a student at legitimate centers of learning recognized by the Bill & Melinda Gates feel-good-about-our-$billions philanthropical foundation; I downloaded Win2003 R2 for FREE. What I thought was good memory management by WinXP is blowed away. I know this because I'm a BOINC cruncher.

When IE8 came out, I checked it out and was immensely pleased. I immediately sent the messenger ravens forth to all those that depend upon what I think informing them that it was o.k. to upgrade to IE8 (some already had and they aren't sent messenger ravens by myself). They think they can just do stuff by themselves without my approval: they are on their own.

That three-headed reptilian skinned C++ guy? Well he was pretty much right about everything. Unless an application installer is hardcoded to version check, all existing WinXP apps work just fine + better (in Win2003 R2).

I'm starting to see various web-sites that deny me access because I'm afflicted with the leprosy of IE8.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Im sorry you were treated this way... I love 98se,in my opinion its one of the BEST win OS's ever released!!

20. retard

retard New Member

Hi guys, i was thinking to give IE a chance (one more) after few years of using Chrome and Firefox. I want to hear your opinion and to ask 2 questions:
    Is IE still unstable as old versions?
    Does it still asking stupid questions for almost every action?
    Thanks!