why use linux

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by germanjulian, May 27, 2004.

1. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

explain? dont get it?

2. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

It's a free alternative to Windows. It lets you do many of the things Windows does, and so much more. However, it isn't as popular or simple as Windows yet, though it will probably get to the point within a few years.

3. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Why use linux?

Because I prefer it to Windows - and it's all about choice. Don't like a wordprocessor? Use another one! Don't like your mail client? Choose another one! Don't like your web browser? Get another one!

Windows - you must use Word, you must use Outlook (or express), you must use IE

I also run a small server that serves email, web filtering, dns, dhcp, ftp and a few other things on my LAN. Myself, my girlfriend and a house mate all use it.

To use Windows on the server would cost many $$$. And then you start paying for client licenses to

The irony is that as a day job I write windows based applications (thankfully in .NET so they work on Linux too :) )

4. JLP

JLP New Member

Hm I got tired of viruses and instability and that was my first reason to switch to Linux. Now I also like it because you have much more control over your computer. there are more settings to change and to make it just the way you need it to be. And because the source code is available you can also compile it speciificly for you CPU and hardware, which makes it a faster. Also it is very nice to have so many choices for almost all of the applications. It even saved my old computer which is now runing completely in text mode and does a very good job as being a firewall and a small server. I also like the community around Linux. People here know a lot and like to help you a lot. I am also closer to the developers of the apps I use. If I find a bug it is usually much easier to report it and then also know what is its status and what the application developer is doing about it. Oh yeah and did I mention the low cost of using Linux and other opensource app? Saved me a lot of money.

5. JLP

JLP New Member

And I forgot one other thing. It is not very important to me since I like using computers in English language, but it is more important to others in my family. More apps are translated into our mother language for Linux then there are for Windows.

6. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

That is so true

Last I checked, Right to left languages sucked on Windows whereas they still suck on Linux using GNOME, but they suck far far less than on Windows.

Whats more, you have all the languages at your fingertips. Want to login using French? no problem! German? can do! Need to re-install a language specific version? NO!

7. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Valid point indeed. KDE and GNOME are available in many languages, and if translation isn't complete english is used (which is very good, considering the fact that translation can never be 100% complete and up to date).

I can't agree with this one. I use Windows (yeah, still), but not Word or Outlook or IE; there are lots alternative apps: Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, even AbiWord (which you prefer over OOo ;)) that exist for many OSes, including Windows, so you aren't that limited.

<off-topic>I will be getting MDK 10.0 next week probably to try it. I don't expect anything, but at least I hope my mouse will work (it didn't in 9.2)</off-topic>

8. Zulan

Zulan New Member

Why use linux?

Stability, customizability, more closer to the apps you use, etc.

And the best of them all, it's

[SIZE=xx-large]FREE!!!![/SIZE]

9. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t go that far, windows has like 85-90+% of the market and Linux, UNIX, Mac OS, Ms DOS, etc…. etc… etc… all share small parts of the rest

Linux lacks the common software support just like Mac does. If I go to the store and ask then for Linux software they’ll hay huh? And take me to the boxes of the OSs… I know there is a couple of newer games that will load on Linux but not much of anything.

There is how ever a windows emulator that allows you run windows software which I understand some of you do. That greatly improves you software options.

It’s a free OS and its evolved nicely over the years but it still lacks the common usability, ease of use and hard ware support stability. A lot of hardware will not work well with Linux I’ve experienced it my self. I mean it may work to install but days later after doing notice but look around and not changing anything but maybe playing some games I end up with a “kernel panicâ€. I knot knowledgeable with Linux enough to fix that I also know that such a stable OS shouldn’t do that. Only thing I know what to do it say freak it and through in my windows disk and go back to windows.

But I quickly tire with a lot of the complexity of Linux. Yes once you get it down its ok but it’s the getting it down part that’s extremely hard.

Personally I’m going to start searching through distributions looking for one that better fits me and that like my systems.

Currently I am fluent in Dos, Win 3.1, Windows 95, NT 4, 98, 98se, me, 2000, XP
    Also a wee bit of 2003 sever and Mac OS.

I’d really like to learn but hard to do when I keep killing the OS.

Yep the .net thing is cool I knew about that. But to a lot of us people get software free not to mention freeware. A lot of stuff is almost free for example students here @ the university get any ms software for $5 per CD full legal licensed version with support (It’s a special deal they have with ms)…for example top of the line office 2003 is 3 CD’s so it costs $15.

Viruses you say? Yes, here are a few for Linux, Exploits and holes too… But you not have a 1/1000th of the people writing viruses and searching for exploits in windows having anything to do with Linux.

*for one it’s a different OS then they are used to.

*What good is it to spend countless hours finding an exploit they may work on say %3 of all pc’s (I’m saying it maybe distribution specific as most things appear to be)

*Virus writers usually want to affect as many people as they can! So that leaves Linux and Mac etc out of the loop.

* Countless thousands are looking over windows with a magnifying glass looking for flaws to exploit. Right now!

* Linux isn’t plagued with noobs who barely know how to turn on their pc’s little lown how to run even windows update or how to plug a security hole. I see pc’s were people have no firewall @ all no anti virus no anti spy ware but on fast connections to the web. It’s these sots of people that give windows a bad name.

*A good firewall and good AV program and keeping you system up to date. I haven’t had a single virus infection since 1995 and that was removed easily with an anti virus program. I’ve never been hacked. It’s because people don’t take proper precautions that there exits the lager problems.

Linux isn’t as secure as it used to be. As it grows in popularity more and more people look for exploits and holes. I guarantee you if Linux and windows switched places you’d be going oh my Linux security and viruses and how good your windows install was…

Windows is under the spot light (also the microscopes) and has been for some time. But spot lights are better known large heat lamps as you would know if you’ve ever been on stage it gets hot. Linux enjoys a unique status that will evolve as it evolves.

I’d like to learn Linux but more for my resume then for my own personal reasons.

That I think is the biggest lure but for that matter but one could say all software is free to some. I think I paid what? $5 for my 100% legal ms licensed version of windows ;) . Linux even being free not eveyone will DL it but most starters will buy it in a retail box for the support , manuels etc forking aout about $50

Don’t get me wrong I didn’t come here to crap on Linux actually It has a lot of potential and over all its kind of cool. But it lacks the support and ease of windows at this time.

It will continue to get better and with the next generation it’s popularly will likely rise because there doing a lot more with teaching people how to use computers in schools now a days.

But than again then people will be more knowledgeable of windows security and there for windows will come out better on this too. Their not exactly getting a fair shake now … especially with the DOJ on their back..Maybe that’s why bill gates sold a huge chunk of windows and bought some Linux stock

I will continue setting on the sidelines watching Linux evolve, getting my feet wet now and then. Maybe it’s my Microsoft knowledge or IT knowledge and experience holding me back. What ever it is Linux is considerd to dang hard for most people.

If you haven’t played with the OS yet you really should download and try a copy you might just like it. I’d suggest one of the easier distributions that many more experiaced may call crap such and red hat, mandrake or something like Linspire (the new lindows name ) Just something to get you feet wet on the subject.

EDITED FOR SPELLING
    -Neon

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  10. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

There is one more advantage of Linux compared to Windows: less legacy code used. Linux kernel has big parts of core rewritten for every major release, and Windows code is just carried over more or less. Also, the fact that code is open is also an advantage. I partially agree with Neon, but not completely. Linux is more secure by it's nature of the OS, not just by the fact that less people use it.

11. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Active Member

My main reason for playing around with Linux now is so I can gain the experience neccesary for moving to it down the road. I have no intention of using Longhorn because of M$'s stance of shoving their DRM down my throat. I plan on being ready when the day comes that MS no longer supports Xp. Hopefully by then Linux will truly be ready for everyday family desktop use. Linux has made great strides recently, take Xandros for instance.. I was able to download their 30 day buisness trial edition when they offered it. Quite simply amazing,debian based, installed in 15 min configured everything but my scanner( not supported under linux period<sigh>) even set up a network with my daughter's comp, printer was even networked but would only print gibberish. The only reasons I didn't purchase it were:

1. Too much like windows, everythings pre-packaged. I didn't think I'd learn as much about how linux works compared to using another distro.
    2.Very easily broken by importing non Xandros packages.
    3. Cost, the buisness edition costs 130$, which I don't need. The deluxe versions 90 which isn't bad concidering you still get Crossover office and the plug-ins which is around 60$ standalone.

Fedora Core(s) 1&2 also install quite easily on my system but in my opinion isn't a good family oriented desktop. It's too locked down by default, perfect for a workstation or a server. Runs very slowly without tweaking, and my printer fails to work properly. KDE and Gnome look exactly alike? Granted all of the previous could be reconfigured, but well, I just didn't care for the "feel" of it.

Mandrake 10 for me is a real pain in the arse to install but I like how it runs once installed. I'm going on my 10th install atm but I am learning about how things work and have yet to make the same mistake twice.

Those are the only distro's I've been able to get installed. So far Knoppix 3.3&3.4, Gentoo, Suse 9.0, munjoy and Sarge all fail upon reboot with the dreaded kernel panic error.

Biggest gripe with Linux so far is the lack of complete noob friendly documentation.
    Most how-to's start out well enough but invariably wind up making fairly some obscure reference at some point like creating a symlink without any explaination of what it is or how to do it, or edit some file with vi without saying you have to open it in a terminal as root, assuming you actually know how to use vi...I still haven't figured out how to save after making changes so I use another text editor that actually has a save button:rolleyes: rather than some poorly documented keyboard combination.

Still all in all it's more fun than frustrating to be learning something new and have the ability to configure the whole OS to your liking all the way from the kernel itself to what winds up on your desktop. Another side benefit is suddenly Xp's command line doesn't seem as daunting as it was before ;)

12. DocterDee

DocterDee New Member

why use Linux? NO OK AND NEXT BUTTONS :D :D :D

13. grog

grog Roxy Music

Actually I use a little bit of them all.

WindowsXP PRO ( I have bought three retail copies for home. Mine, my wife's and daughters).
    Full version of Windows XP PRO, Microsoft Visual C++ etc... Lots of money in software.
    I also have WindowsXP-64 Bit edition beta.

I also run Linux. Currently I am running RedHat 9.0, Slackware 9.1 and Fedora Core-1 on my developement systems.
    I do most of my work with Slackware 9.1.

On my main system I have Mandrake 10.0 but I am going to see how well Gentoo plays on my Athlon-64. I tri-boot between WindowsXP PRO, WindowsXP-64Bit edition and Mandrake 10.0 Linux right now. When I am running WindowsXP PRO I use Cygwin so I still have a GNU enviorment and can run GCC and 'X'.

My daughter dual boots between WindowsXP PRO and Linux Redhat 9.0.

I also run FreeBSD.

Why do I run all of these OS's?
    I am a Embedded Linux Software Developer. I also do Windows development on the side including WindowsCE and Embedded XP development.

So if Linux is so great why do I run WindowsXP at all?

Because Linux is great for programming especially for the embedded world. For multi-media and 3D work it is not really up there yet. And yes I do some programming in DirectX, I have the DirectX SDK and I find it a very good enviorment.

Linux is great for programming.
    WindowsXP is great for entertainment.

So I have both.

Greg