wierd colors in thumbnails

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by scotty71, Sep 10, 2007.

1. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

I am using Opera 9.23. When I view an image gallery with lots of images on it, the thumbnail previews are shown in "psychedelic" colors.

Not all of the thumbnails are shown this way, some of them have normal colors.

This doesn't happen in firefox. I haven't actually checked I.E...don't like it.

I created a screenshot of the webpage with one side showing the wierd colors and the other side showing them as they should be.

left side is wrong..right side is right

I am using Omega Drivers 6.2

[​IMG]

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

link to the image gallery? and i will try to figure it out for you.
    might have something to do with the size of thumbnail and had nothing to do with the drivers.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Though not with Opera, sometimes I get similar colours when I run in the background some video.

4. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

hmm, can you always reproduce the problem ? and this always with the Opera, but never happened in Firefox ?

i don't know yet, but while you are at the web pages, could you get the internet addresses of a few of those fault colors thumbnails, and also take a screenshot of the web browser (that showing those fault colors images) window, post the info and the screenshot here.

6. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

This is not the actual website I was having the problems at, I had to find this website because the website(s) I was viewing has subject matter that the forum probably has rules against linking to either directly or as a screenshot I create. subject is however..LEGAL.

I couldn't reproduce the effect at the hubble site without viewing these other sites at the same time.

Strange thing is that when I view these websites the thumbnails are all normal, but as I scroll down, the colors become all out of wack.

I then go to the desktop and rightclick and then click properties and then settings and I get this message.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    My color depth has been set to 4bits and I now realize why the colors are off, but I don't know why this happens in Opera. I haven't done a clean install of it lately and I may do that.

After I close the tab of the website with the messed up colors and then go back to the display settings, everything is back to normal and the screen depth is set back to 16bit.

Now for the strange. If I go the the website in Opera and get it to reproduce the funky colors and then check the display settings and confirm the color depth is a 4bits.

I then go to that same website in firefox while opera is open, the colors are all normal, yet the display properties still show I am at a 4bit color depth with a screen resolution of
    -1 X -1 and I still get the above error message.

Whoa..That was a lot and I hope you can follow it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

you don't have to tell me, lol, you were at an adult website with thumbnails i saw you were posting this problem in a Google Groups... and yep you can't post a link to the adult webpages...

anyways, again, i still don't know yet... but since this problem has occured before but with only Opera (and not in Firefox),
    and you found that this problem has started from version before 9.23, and then got worse again after you have upgraded from the older version to the version 9.23...
    so try this anyway, uninstall Opera... completely remove your Opera's profiles (for Vista's the profile folder located in \Users\<Windows log in name>\AppData\Roaming)... and if you have moved the Opera's caches to somewhere other than the defualt location, then empty/remove the cache folder too... then empty all Windows's and user's temp files.
    and then reinstall Opera, and see if this helps?

8. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

I have am thinking about just doing a complete reinstall of Windows XP. It has been becoming sluggish lately. I have too many programs installed that I don't use.

My one question that really has me wondering what's going on is why I get that message box that pops up after I reproduce the problem, and it looks like the image has disappeared from my previous post...why..I don't know.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

well, in front of my screen the image is still there and i'm sure it will still be there if i still using the same browser caches.

and you don't have to completely reinstall the Windows at this time, and this if you just wanted to find out whether or not the old (and existing) Opera's profile and/or one of the Opera's file has to do with this problem.

remember the history of you first having the "thumbnails were in psychedelic colors" problem and that was when you were at the adult website that had lots of thumbnails and you were using one of the older than today version of Opera.

however, if you can reinstall the Windows, it's good too.

10. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

you just got a few responds at the Google Groups post.

but what cause the system to set the display to less colour mode? and i think that is the real question, and i don't have the answer for you.

11. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

I don't remember posting toany google group...could you post link to group?

Thanks

12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

thumbnails shown in psychedelic colors - opera.tech | Google Groups

even though you didn't sign in and start the topic in the Google Groups directly, however, the system are just working together, and the message also post in the Google Groups site, so no worry this is not a weird thing.
    however, if you tell me that that is not your messages at all, then i'd say i'm very weird, lol, cause everything in that messages referring to yours, including the links to the images and the example images themself are exactly same with the ones you posted here. and well, i'll be damned. my assumption is just very wrong, lol.

anyways, so, how you handle this problem so far?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  13. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

I haven't actually done anything specific with Opera yet, just unistalling some programs I don't use and trying to clean up windows.

I did however get the problem to reproduce itself at the opera community where I was viewing skins for Opera.

So I need to do something about it, but I got my browser so customized and all that lies in my profile folder and I don't know if I could reinstall opera and then weed out those files I need to keep Opera customized, and I don't Know if I want to start over from scratch and customize Opera the way I have it now.

I am gonna try something, however. I haven't tried to repair the installation yet. will try that.

Thanks for your help.

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

okay, how about you do this for me... you close Opera, and go to the Opera program files folder, zip the whole folder and then put this zip file on your desktop, and do the same with the Opera's profile**, and then find a server that you can host the 2 zip files, then link me (post link in PM) to the zip files, so that i can download them.

i don't know what i can do for you yet, but i like to check the files anyway.
    well, without that info i can't really look through it, however, let's me also tell you that you should clear out all the browsing histories, cookies and all other Opera internet temp files before zipping those 2 folders.

and you may want to backup whatever files or info that you need first and before you begin to clear them out.
    and also, if you feel it's not right to let me see your files, then it's okay by me also.

**the profile folder is normally located in "\Docs and Settings\<Windows log in name>\Application Data\Opera" for Windows XP
    or "\Users\<Windows log in name>\AppData\Roaming\Opera" for Vista.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  15. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

1st thanks for your help

I copied the Opera folder to another drive and then uninstalled OPera.

I reinstalled opera and copied my menu and toolbar setups, bookmarks, etc to the profile folder.

I also had many files in the opera and profile folder that were in no way related to OPera. Maybe that could have been a cause.

I also think that the Opera folder was originaly on my Windows Me computer and when I got this computer, I copied the opera folder to this computer which has Xp, and then would install new versions over that installation from the windows me computer.

Don't know if that had any thing to do with it.

In any case, I think the reinstallation fixed it...I haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet.

Thanks again.

Would you know anything about editing Opera's Menu setups...I have search about it..but can't find anything that helps me out.

16. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

Update...That didn't fix it..got it to reproduce itself..but only in Opera.

Gonna try something else.

Thanks again!!

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

well i still want to know how you been doing with the problem? so keep us posted.

18. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

Well I decided to unistall the Omega drivers(6.2) and go back to an earlier version.

After I uninstalled them and reboot, the system auto reinstalled the ATI drivers and I think they were also 6.2, file version 8.162.0.0.

That seemed to fix it. But after some time...the problem came back again.

I may go back even further to the ATI 5.8 catalyst.

I think it was working right then...

19. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

still only occur in Opera?

Lelisevis likes this.
  20. scotty71

scotty71 New Member

Yes.

Opera and Firefox can both be open and displaying the same page and contents and the images In Opera are the only ones affected.

I am either gonna reinstall widows or live with the problem...since It doesn't occur everytime I visit a webage..or the same webpage .

[​IMG]