Wii claims first victim - a 60-inch TV

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Sandok, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Read More/Source: The Inquirer

Excited Wii users should learn to take it easy on their Wiimote, if one gamer's experience is anything to go by. Something Awful forum user 'Tuxedo Jack' tells his tragic tale, and of how a friend enthusiastically playing Wii sports managed to impale a 60-inch rear-projection TV.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

:x ouch.....

4. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Lol... Thats the thing that no-one in Nintendo thought of :rofl:

I feel sorry for that guy. A 60" TV is a huuuge loss. But, when he could afford it then, he could afford a new one aswell.

5. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Be nice if one of those damn sites would actually link to the post I couldn't find it on their forums. Sounds bogus but if he's got pics...

6. Sandok

Sandok New Member

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Just because one has a 60in. TV, doesn't mean they can easily afford a new one. This person may have saved up for a whole year just to get one.....or they put it on credit.

Either way, that sux for the guy, and if i were the guy, i'd have my friend buy me a new tv :evil:

8. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Thanks for the link Sandok, that wrist strap needs a redesign it looks so flimsy
    [​IMG]

9. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Shitty for him, but anyway, that's bloody hilarious.

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

I'd already be filing suit if it were my TV. Well, atleast I'd be contacting Nin and asking if they were going to take care of it or were they going to make me file suit... That completely sucks.

11. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

And how would you say this is Nintendo's fault? You should hold on to the controller even with a wrist strap. If he has the tv insured he could get it replaced.

12. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

When I was like 12 I would throw the controller at the TV but it always had a cord I would catch and yank back right before it would hit. I remember one time it hit me in the face.

13. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

the thing is, the wrist strap is there to hold the controller in place incase it does slip out of your hand, its not there for just looks.

the controller sliped out of his hands, the wrist strap failed, and the tv was broke because of the wrist strap failing. any way you look at it, it comes back to nintendos responsibility. their safty feature failed and damage was caused because of it.

14. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

And, ladies and gentleman, we have our first wiitard :lol:

Maddogg6 likes this.
  15. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I have a feeling they learned that by swinging at the strap you can get more speed and power in wii sports than by holding the wiimote in your hand and playing normally. Abuse like this will snap your cord for sure.

16. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

Wonder how well the controller will hold up over time, durability wise. I remember the N64 stick getting all wobily and sometimes hard to center after awhile, how well will these new controllers made to be tossed about stand the test of time?

17. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Obviously, avoid the fact that the guy SAID that he was holding the controller and it slipped out because of his nerdy sweaty hands and that the wrist strap broke! :lol:

It clearly is a mistake on Nintendo's part...

18. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

You really believe what everyone says? If you read car accident reports, do you think all of the people who said they were wearing a seatbelt actually were?

I'm just putting the possibility out there. Because if you do play from the strap you do get some advantages in wii sports, like not having to do the actual game motions. "Hey guys you can just flick it like this and it always goes really fast!" There's no game where swinging as hard as you can makes you play better. There's no reason to have this kind of force behind the controller. These guys were goofing off and not following the rules and something went wrong.

Nintendo tests their systems well. That's why when you drop them from 30 feet or drag them behind your car the Nintendo system is the one that still works. I don't believe that they forgot to test the wrist strap, which is like law suit insurance for them. I'm sure they tested it completely and found that when you play like they say is ok, you never exceed the force/torque/whatever necessary to snap the cable.

edit: I talked with a few friends about this and they agree. While it is possible that there was at least one defect in the millions of controllers produced, I find it more likely that someone was goofing off, broke their tv, and is telling half truths so that Nintendo will buy them a new tv.

I think if it wasn't a defect, then Nintendo should squash these guys. They should pull out their test data and say that the cable is capable of retaining 4000 lbs of tension and you'd have to swing the wii remote at over 120 mph to generate even half that. I made those numbers up, but I think you can see how Nintendo can put these guys in their place by showing the impossibility of a cable snapping under regular play (unless you're a gorilla)

Maybe they have pets and one chewed on the cable, weakening it? We had this problem with our xbox 360 headset. One of my kittens chewed through and it snapped after a quick jerk due to game related frustration.

Or maybe it really was just a defect. I dunno. But who are these guys and why should we give them the benefit of the doubt? Are other wii remote cable issues coming in?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Don't misuderstand me. I would guess it's about 90% likely these guys were doing something they shouldn't have which caused the strap to break. Of course it's possible that it was defective, though the odds are probably slim as I am led to believe Nin tests & designs their stuff pretty well. But either way, you can sue for anything, no matter how stupid, and odds are that if they bothered to file suit Nin would settle rather than bother with the expense and risk of going to trial. Most juries would find it possible that the strap could have been deficient and therefore Nin's fault and not only should they pay for the tv but they should pay the guy $1,000,000 extra for pain & mental distress - after all the guy has been without his 60" tv for how many months while this case was being tried?? How did he possible continue living each day without his precious TV?!! Sooner he should have to give up food & water....
    Just the corrupt way the legal system works.

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well normally id have a little personal chuckle at your nintendo postings as you are like luigi without the green suit, but I agree with most of your post. I think its a bit of a high publicity stunt.

Anyone got a wii handy, how tough is that strap?