Will Matrox make an all new GPU or VPU in 2003?

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by amuro, Jan 6, 2003.

1. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re: ub3r

Kyro chips (PVR series 3) proved that you don't need on-chip T&L when it can be software emulated given a decent CPU.
    Seeing as fixed T&L has been superseeded by PS/VS implementations and it's been stated that the new card will have this - hardware T&L is going to be a non-issue

:)

2. Stormy Waters

Stormy Waters New Member

Ahh Memories

I had G400 32mb in a machine at one time and it was a killer card, dual head was alot of fun but when I linked 3 monitors up (pci graphics card) it was a ton of fun. Like most of you Matrox loyalists when we found out about the new card we were hopin for it to be the next G400 and to carry us into the next realm. Unfortually it was a large flop, the gaming people didn't give it good reviews because of it's slow clock speed. It's price detured the market away from it. and over all it was a cool card with some cool features but it lacked it where it needed it the most. Hopefully someday soon i'll have some dollars saved up and i'll buy the G400 pci and run 3 head again (3 head is alot better than 2, for any dual head person, ok messages and what not get really annoying half on one screen and half on the other).

anyways my $0.02

R.I.P. Matrox - you were always my favorite

3. HawK

HawK Banned

As far as I can tell, series5 wil be a very nice upper/mid range card
    here are some "roumours", but we will just have to wait and see :)
    please don't ask me more because I'm not allowed to give any info 'bout it... :(

4. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Ive read statements by Matrox that they are "happy" with their 2-3% of the graphics market (or whatever % it is... probably below 5%) and arent excatly aiming to join the battle with ATI and Nvidia... I think they are creating future cards more for the office kinda market rather than home gaming...

5. amuro

amuro New Member

well technically the majority of businesses run 2d based desktop work so Matrox is all set for now.

Still the Parhelia is powerfull enough to run Jedi Knight II in triple monitor mode and I even heard that it can do Halo in triple monitor mode too.