Will you be moving to Windows 7 this year?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 11, 2009.

?

Will you be moving to Windows 7 this year?

1. Yes - its much better than Vista!

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Yes, I like vista but this is better

23 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Not sure yet

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I prefer Vista

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. I still use XP - no intention of moving

13 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. I use another OS

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

I got a free upgrade to W7 with my Vista Premium - sure I will do it!

Vista SP2 works beautiful, looks beautiful on a powerful system..much better than XP

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I've pre-ordered it and I've liked its performance on my other PC so yeah :)

I'm the kind of person that upgrades their software to the latest release - Office 2007, Adobe CS4, 2010 Internet security suite, Windows 7 and so on.

3. DogDeadByRaven

DogDeadByRaven New Member

I've been running Windows 7 since RC1 first came out. I have been using that in place of my Vista Ultimate, and since I'm going to need to upgrade my computer by early next year I might at well get the Windows 7.
    Vista 64bit didn't support 3/4 of my games due to not being able to emulate 32bit (since the companies didn't bother due to the games being from '03/'04). Figure I'm not losing anything, only issue I have is that Windows 7 does not seem to like Kingston flash drives and will randomly lose the connection to them.

4. skychimp

skychimp New Member

Re : Will you be moving to Windows 7 this year?

I'd like aero for Windows XP(5) x86/x64 - dont give a * about windows 6 or windows 7 :p

5. skychimp

skychimp New Member

Re : Re: Will you be moving to Windows 7 this year?

Do you belive i can try having a hackintosh on a partition and windows on another like i'd do with grub or with the mbr?

6. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

i'm on winxp x64 never been more happy to stay in my poor xp windowed world , havent changed a thing since i moved. I tried vista32 but.......
    Things turned sour pretty quicky and that relationship ended almost as soon as it begun
    dual booting ubuntu and win x64.
    win7 seems soo far to me i'm a programmer so i'm slowest to move :D

7. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I switched to Windows 7 about a month ago and it was not without minor annoyances getting a few games to work but otherwise it was a good switch (from Vista 64) and I would recommend anyone with a decent PC to upgrade to it.

8. dctokyo

dctokyo New Member

Years using XP/64 moved over to Vista/64 Ultimate and never looked back, best gaming platform so far over XP, Now I love Win7/64 Ultimate even more, but will wait to use 100% for my gaming until the drivers get a little more mature for it.................. then "Game On" :evil:

9. hipokondriak

hipokondriak New Member

WinXP SP3 is my OS of choice. Played with W7Beta and RC1 and was pleased with what I saw, missed out on the cheap option to buy a disk on release at a special price. So I waited to see the retail price for the ultimate, and have decided to stay with XP for the foreseable future. Way out of my price bracket for a replacement OS.

When XP is finally dead and buried it looks like I will be going for a free OS like Linux based OS's. Unless I buy a new PC with it installed, my chances of getting it for real are about a slim as winning the eurolottery.

As for Vista home basic, don't make me laugh... I have a laptop (given to me for free - cos it was way to slow to use) with Vista basic on it. Utter, utter, utter shyte. I have upgraded the RAM to 3GB and reinstalled from the EISA partition, killed all the crap bloat software and it still runs like shyte. I am looking to see if WinXP SP3 will install and run on this machine and finds all the necessary drivers. (ACER do not show any WinXP drivers for this machine). I have a 1.4Ghz D600 rith 768mb PC2700 that runs faster than this...

Sorry, I appear to have gone off on a rant again... Forgive me my sins.....

10. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Will I? I have been using the RC for months!

All I have to wait for now if October 22nd when Amazon will be shipping my copy of Home Premium, I aint looking back.

11. bizkit.levi

bizkit.levi New Member

I would, but with the current price tag, i can`t.

12. tgagunnman

tgagunnman New Member

I have already been running Windows 7 Ultimate for a few weeks now. I got the early release from my MSDN account. Before that I was running RC for a while. The O/S is much better than Vista. The TCP/IP stack is much more effecient and I can finally get 90 to 102MBps over Gig-E. UAC is alot easier to deal with and or deactivate without reboot. The O/S is snapier and seems to be much more stable.

All of my games work in it and I own a ton, (RPGs, MMOs, RTSs, FPSs, Action, Flight Sims) you name it.

I did have an issue where Sacred 2 broke the game on 7 going from 2.40 patch to 2.43 but they said they were going to address that.

There still however is a need to run XP in dual boot if you play older games that have a 16bit installer or run a 16bit Z-Buffer.

But overall on all current games 64bit Windows 7 is the only way to go to address that 3.5GB+ RAM and to offer the smoothest playability.

The video drivers are rock solid (unlike at Vistas launch) from ATI and Nvidia and the performance is unbeatable as far a high end O/Ss from Microsoft.

Gunnman

13. gamerguy127

gamerguy127 New Member

i'm already using windows 7 as my main now and my friend is going to get me a copy of home premium, and as for the price i'm not sure if anyone knows this but if ur a student u can get a copy of windows 7 for £30 if u proveide a valid university email address when purchasing but this offer is only within the first two months of it being released i think

14. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Yeah i noticed that as well, It's only for universities though i think (I'm at college) and it'll be a list of approved ones. Could always see if any of my mates in Unis around the country could try jimmy a pre-order for me :D

15. gamerguy127

gamerguy127 New Member

i suppose i could do that aswell otherwise i'll just stay with the release candidate, also has anyone heard about these windows 7 parties?
    if u r chosen to host one u get a free copy of windows 7 ultimate!!:D

16. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Just noticed this comment. This feature is available in Vista, so I'm not sure why you mention it as a Windows 7 benefit. ATI drivers have had this enabled for some time, and I think NVIDIA also does it now.

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

If it was there it didn't work reliably for me.

18. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Based on my system specs , I tried Win 7 but I felt it is somewhat slow (like vista) , I may consider moving from xp after getting i7 and +4GB ram.

19. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I switched already. :) I liked Vista and, having tried the beta and RC and read a bit about 7 (mostly texts on DH), I decided to make a complete switch. I feel that 7 is an evolutionary step forward, not huge, but a nice one. It seems quite snappy too and since my PC is leaning towards the lower end of the current offer, I really don't think people should be afraid of it once it's out.

20. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I have gone back on what i have said earlier in this thread... I have just pre-ordered a copy of Home Premium..