Win 10 technical preview for windows phones - Can't roll back!

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by SeanPatrick, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Hey all,

This is a long shot - but any idea what my problem might be here (besides rushing into something blindly) -

I installed the win 10 preview (build 9941) for my Lumia 830 just to poke around. I wasn't ultra impressed (nor unimpressed - just blase) so tried to roll back the install using the Windows Recovery Tool; it's latest incarnation supposedly updated to enable you to do just that - roll back the install to 8.1. Unfortunately when I run it it just sits on "reading phone information" indefinitely. I've tried to use the factory reset on the phone itself but it just resets the phone to a windows 10 preview with no apps or settings.

At least it turns on, but still - am I stuck with this now?
    Thanks!

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

short of running the windows 8.1 phone installer to replace 10, probably not much.... sounds like you've experienced a woe of using a beta OS...

3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

4. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Yup, that's where I got the software recovery tool from. I finally got it rolled back, but just lucked onto it. Basically fiddled with a bunch of things and finally got it going. I think it had something to do with the USB port I was using. Though I could interact with my phone storage with the initial port I was using, it wasn't until I moved it into a different port (usb 3.0?) on the back that it actually properly connected with my smartphone. At least that's what I think the problem was. In any case I'll stick with Denim (8.1 update) until they've got a few more bugs ironed out.

Love the start screen on windows phone though, kills android.