Win 7 and older games...

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by jandarsun8, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

I had Win 7 7100 installed just fine and ran some newer games on it however I had to roll it back to xp for work reasons (CRM, Matrix and IAve specifically) before I could test any older games.

I plan on moving back to Win 7 shortly but was wondering if anyone's had issues with older games like Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield, NWN's (1-2), Thief series (any), Splinter Cell series (any), CoD (1-2), MoH (any), UT 03/04?

I realize some of these are quite old but I'm short of cash lately and my library of new games is quite small (cod 4, bioshock and wolfenstein) are pretty much it for new games which I didn't have any issues with at all.

I'm just wondering if I gotta keep an xp box around for some of the older games or if things should be cool with 07.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't know, but in theory you should be ok with them. They are not that old. Titles you will have problems with are older titles for W95 or other 16-bit based games. But, from what I understand that is mainly if you are going to have a 64bit edition of 7. (or Vista).

Then again, if you have the XP mode of 7, you might be ok even with them.
    I don't have 7, only Vista 64.

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

You might give this a try:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I tried it with my Win 7 install and couldn't get it to work. However I think that it's because there is no setting on my MB to support it.

OR, I is just too danged dumb to figure it out :sigh:

4. crack1up

crack1up New Member

I tried windows virtual pc once before, and I can say it is not user friendly. Therefore, I stuck with what works for me and that is VMWare and an install of Tiny XP Pro. Works like a charm.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I have to say the game support of windows 7 is excellent, all of the games in our unlocked steam accounts work well. Can't think of any released semi recently which fail on some level.

6. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Great, thanks guys for the input. I'm moving back to Win 7 as soon as it goes live, no sense in doing it now and have to redo it in a month. My work around for work is to have a XP box at work and then VPN and Dameware into that to do anything for work.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it is live.... october 22nd is just a public purchase spa and dance...

8. BAdD0gg

BAdD0gg Member

That is true it is live. It is already installed on laptops and pre-builts and waiting in stores. Some stores have had these computers for a week or so, but they have to wait for a couple more weeks to put them on the selves. (If you are in the market for a laptop now is the time to get one. Retail outlets are getting rid of the Vista machines so they can have as many Windows 7 ready machines at launch. Clearance prices are going to save you hundreds.) The "RC" that people are playing with now is virtually identical to the box version of 7 ultimate.

Jandar: Ultimate has xp mode "built" in. You should be able to let it adjust the settings in admin mode. I have been able to run all kinds of obscure older titles without many issues. Everything XP has been fine, when I get to 2000 or older its hit or miss. I have had a problem reverting back to normal windows 7 mode though. Every once in a while it will remain in basic mode until I open and close a newer program. I havent been able to mess around with 7 pro but it has a program you launch before you launch a xp title. Its an extra step so expect the boo birds to come out over it but, any home edition won't have it at all so i guess it is better than nothing (Vista).

9. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i've been using VPC for a few months here at work and i find it pretty straight foward to set up.

it has a AMI BIOS, and in order to boot off a CD, in the menu options above, you need to make sure that the "use physical CD" option is selected. otherwise, the virtual machine won't boot up at all.

you can make modifications to just about everything. although, modifying the hard drive capacity is the hardest to modify once you have everything set up. you can even make it so that you can share a folder between the physical PC and the virtual PC.

so, i say you should give that VPC another shot! :)

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah i've had no problems at all with virtual PC... it's solid/stable.. and works damn fast..

Shit i've even ran 3Dmark2001 and 2003 on it a virtual PC version of windows XP within win7 before the retail/gold eddition of win7 was available.

I've had only a problem installing windows 95 on virtual pc... it BSODs when attempting to try to install.

11. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

Virtual XP Mode is nice in Win7 ... but I can't get Cisco's VPN to work :( Since the network "card" in virtual PC is not really a network card at all... it's as if it doesn't recognize it.

Anyways, game on !

12. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

there was a patch from cisco for using VPN with vista. i forget where it is at, but you might want to give it a try for w7 since both OSes are rather similar.

might want to search for something like, "cisco vpn vista fix" or something to that extent. worth a shot! :)

13. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I gave up with cisco vpn on 64-bit, have been mucking around with realvpn most recently.

14. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

oh i don't want to use it with Windows 7, I want to use it within the XP-Mode virtual PC in windows 7 ... :)

15. Stratman

Stratman New Member

I tried installing a somewhat older game on my Win 7 RC install, and thought I totally borked the OS, it was a game that uses the Star Force protection system, Went to reboot after installing the game, and got a window saying "Windows is loading files" then a green progress bar, and error message. Win 7 couldn't "fix" the error. i thought i was going to have to reinstall Win 7, but found info on the net somewhere: its possible to get past that by selecting continue - F8 for advanced options - disable digital signature check, but its not fun

16. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I created a dual-boot (XP & 7) for a friend recently, who plays quite a few old games. I didn't install much in the way of games but I can tell you that Warcraft 3 worked fine. It's not one of the older games he owns but it's pretty good considering.