Win 7 bsod

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by blown503, Apr 26, 2010.

1. blown503

blown503 New Member

How many people running invidia video cards get the blue screen of death at start up in win7? Mine is random but im running a gtx9800gx2 card. Most of the time a reboot will take care of it for a little while. (hour or day)

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

no problems like that with my GTX260, and quite frankly i'd be concerned if i was getting regular bsods.
    what error msg you getting with it ??

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Any overclocking done on your CPU or GPU? Try resetting those clocks to stock and trying again if you have adjusted anything.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I am running a 9800 Gt and no problems here on Win 7 home edition 64 bit

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

What does the blue screen say exactly? Plus, what, if any, errors are reported in Event Viewer?

If you can post these we can help point you in the right direction as to a cause and solution.

6. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

GTX 260 (core 192) and no BSODs here.
    Are you sure the BSODs are GPU related? What drivers are you using?

7. blown503

blown503 New Member

ok im on a diff computer now. I keep getting the bsod. When I get it it says nvlddmkm.sys . I am using an factory overclocked evga gtx9800 gx2 video card. The card works fine in my winxp box. Put an older 8800 card in my win7 box and it is fine. This problem didnt start until I used the 197.13 drivers. I have done some reading and most think it is the fact that it is an overclocked 9800gx2.

8. blown503

blown503 New Member

where exactly is the event viewer?

9. Tipstaff

Under Control Panel | Administrative Tools. You will see Event Viewer in there. When it opens look at the left side, and expand the listing called "Windows Logs". The 2 main ones to look at here are "Application" and "System". In the middle window look for any yellow or red marked items, especially anything that lists the nvlddmkm.sys file.

BTW, you mentioned this problem started when you went to the 197.13 drivers. Did you have this problem on the older drivers. Also, have you tried any of the newer drivers (for instance, try out the beta 197.25 drivers).

As well, you mention it works fine in the XP box, but not in the Windows 7 box. What power supplies are in each? By this I mean what is the wattage, manufacturer, and age of the power supplies in each machine?

10. blown503

blown503 New Member

I guess The card died. I cant get it to work on any machine now. When I put it in the xp box half of the screen turns green - gray - black. When I put it back in the win 7 box it just gives bsod. power supply antec 750 earth I do believe. cant remeber if thats whats in both machines. I know they are the same though.

11. Tipstaff

You know, I totally forgot about this. That card has a bunch of indicator lights on it. What colors are the 2 main lights on the back where the video connectors are? Is one green and one blue, or both green? Also, when you power up the card (or try to), what color is the lights where the PCIE power connectors go into the card? Are they both green, or is one or both of them red?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  12. blown503

blown503 New Member

Its all green leds on the power conectors and back of cards as well.

13. Tipstaff

Sorry about taking so long to respond. Been working 18/7 this last week.

All green lights on the back of the card is a bad thing. One should be green, which indicates the secondary connector, the other should be blue, the one labeled as Port 1 (above the HDMI port) which indicates that this is the primary card/connector. To me the fact that it's green is telling me that the card isn't outputting a signal to the monitor.

I should mention this:
    - each PCIE power connector has light indicators (green for good, red for bad)
    - on the back above each DVI port there is an indicator led (blue for main, green for secondary)
    - through the grill on the back of the card near port 2 you will see 3 more leds that should also be green

To be honest I think it's probably best to contact Evga about this. The card isn't under warranty anymore, but it might be worth talking to them directly to see if they determine the card to be faulty, and also to see how much it might cost to fix it. In the end you might find it's time to replace the card.

14. reinekec

reinekec New Member

Drivers?