Win an ASUS GTX275 Graphics card @ Driverheaven!

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Oriental Sniper

Oriental Sniper New Member

Own internal basic soundcard, the first step into a new video-audio processing era.

2. Oriental Sniper

Socket for removable and expandable memory for increased performance and future-proof.

3. Oriental Sniper

Reduced number of chips, less heat output, and overall decreased size.

4. Defcon-4

Defcon-4 Member

1.-Better/quieter coolers.
    2.-Less power consumption.
    3.-Better drivers.
    4.-Some good 3D game in the Box.
    5.-Ana Ivanovic Posters.

5. roadrunner17

roadrunner17 New Member

OK- a little thinking outside the box- so don't be too quick to laugh.

How about an upgradable graphics board?

It would be not too different from the featues of a motherboard but be allot smaller. It would have some slots or connections where users could "design" their own card by purchasing different add-on modules. They could be more memory, a tuner, fan controller, or anything that the manufactuer would want to sell.

A graphics card is very costly for most to buy and this gives them a way to buy a basic card now and add-on the features they want , or upgrade, later making it more desirable. It also opens up a whole new area of merchandise that was not there before- upgrades.

Most enthusiest want the ability to manipulate their equipment- they have done this with adding special cooling and overclocking. But few have gone too far in this because of warranty concerns and lack of knowledge. This would get even the new builder the confidence to expand and design his own "graphics center".

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

IF it hasnt been mentioned yet, for added "cool factor" Add an LED display to the side of the card for us with windows for real time temp monitoring.

Also I agree with making these cards smaller, and more cooling effcient, if you have to add a Enclosed watercooling solutioin like the domino alc, so be it! :)

7. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Maybe a 'custom' made vga card which can be ordered online at the ASUS shop. So you can choose your card, and can select which cooling solution you want: be it a
    reference single slot
    reference dual slot
    water cooling
    3rd party cooler or of course the new ASUS design, better quality and cooling ability then reference coolers.

this would bring something new to the market, and not that hard to achieve

8. eduardxwx

eduardxwx New Member

i want to see a back plate , and low noise from the cooler! make the cooler bigger with the fins united so you get a low noise

9. stereokwb

stereokwb New Member

-mostly what a good video card need is a very efficient cooling solution and a flexible way to access hardware for hardcore gamers and enthusiasts;
    -also i would certainly love a powerful EXTERNAL video card solution to travel with me and allow me to play my favorite games anywhere (laptop fans would be trilled);This video box could be upgradable so you could plug in your favorite desktop cards as you buy them.

10. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I Also really want to start seeing some onboard sound output via HDMI and non of this extra cable business.

Advanced OCing options and inerface. also perhaps a better temperature monitoring system. I really dislike almost all current GFX card temp monitoring software currently. Like I said before. Make cards cooler and smaller. I am really limited to what I can put in my HTPC ;)

11. t0ucH

t0ucH Member

When it comes to GPU coolers Asus should cooperate with Thermalright.

This would be the conclusive factor for me when buying a GPU, because when I first settle on a model (ATI, NVIDIA, mid-high range etc) I know that Asus already have it, and possibly with a high-end cooler ;)

12. Jejking

Jejking New Member

My ideas how to make a Perfect Box includes the following:
    - the card, with preferably a less-layer PCB because of price concerns, affects production costs, less problems for manufacturers and saves money for the customers.
    - a cooler which is single slot and works like the Arctic S1 Rev 2's (because it is cheap, effective & possible) with a thin 92mm-fan. Large fan with low noise to optimize the available space. If necessary, go dual slot with one thin 120mm-fan. This makes it fit in more/most cases. It is also easier to make SLi / Crossfire configurations and still maintain a good airflow with low temperatures.
    - latest drivers on a CD with auto-update possibility and also a benchmark to test for stability, maximum temperatures and an overclock.
    - HDMI, DVI & S-Video for all cards, except for the extreme low-budget variants who have to live without it (read: office solutions).
    - virtual dual BIOSes, since we, customers and tweakers, like excellent stability and reliability.
    - a tray version of the video card with a simple box and one with extras like games / mousepad / a bigger and better looking box. Don't forget about 3D glasses, no exotic stuff but just a decent set of glasses with software. The list of supporting games is big and it adds to the immersion of the gameplay or maybe even with movies in the future.

And now the interesting stuff, for all normal 'enthousiast' and 'extreme' cards a Black Box. It can be put in 3.5" bays and is expandable to 5.25", or just put it on the desk. There are casings available in different colours. The box has the following options:
    - displaying temperature of GPU, Memory and Voltage Regulators.
    - an alarmsound or colorization of the small screen in case the temperatures or the set voltages are going too high. The cheapest option is best here.
    - a round switch (unlimited turning) to adjust voltage, seperately for GPU and memory, in clicks of 0.0025v (of course it's a mode which is locked for standard users), core- and memoryspeed per MHz and fancontrol in 1% per click.
    - a button to 'set selected voltage/clock/fanspeed' with one push, two for 'save current setting mode' to one of the three below.
    - profile selection with three buttons, one for power saving with low clocks and voltage, one with stock clocks and one for the overclocking mode.

After this it's getting really exotic:
    - replaceable memory DIMMs. Quite often memory dies before the core does because it is more temperature sensitive. Offering customers an option to simply click it on the card. An other possibility is to hook the (polished or flat based) memory heatsinks to the card, ‘sandwiching’ the new DIMM to the card in the process. You can forget about thermal paste too, this solution is useable over and over again. Now it is easier to replace the failing chips and it also saves Asus a lot of work, less RMAs due to memory failure. The chips can be sold in stores seperately, budget chips for anyone who just needs them and higher-quality chips (able to take higher voltages) for the overclockers or the unsure people who think about maximum safety.
    - upgradeset to recycle heat of the card to energy. Available in stores and not in the standard package. Otherwise there will be too much versions circling above the customers.

13. SuperJoker

SuperJoker New Member

I would like to a future Asus video card be able to use 1 pci-e slot instead 2 as the the current crop of GTX 200 series cards currently do to a neighboring slot, All while being air cooled and overclockable too.

I tried logging in under FF3 and found I couldn't do more than login, Hopefully under IE8 I can post finally. :annoyed:

14. tanka12345

tanka12345 New Member

I don't really see a need for any more features in forthcoming ASUS video cards if my ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 in my old rig is completely rock solid...Did I forget to mention it's nearly a decade old!

15. amankapoor

amankapoor New Member

First of all I just want to say that I have a NVIDIA 7300 SE/7200 GS which does not give very good performance as you can see below:----

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/15/2009 14:50:40
    System name: AMAN-PC

[Display]
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz (1995 MHz)
    Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate, 32-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 10.0
    GPU processor: GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
    Driver version: 185.85
    Core clock: 450 MHz
    Memory clock: 532 MHz (1064 MHz data rate)
    Memory interface: 64-bit
    Total available graphics memory: 509 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 256 MB
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 253 MB
    Video BIOS version: 5.72.22.80.20
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16

[Components]

nvCpl.cpl 2.5.373.05 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet
    nvCplUI.exe 2.5.373.05 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvViTvS.dll 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
    NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA Media Center Library
    nvDispS.dll 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA Display Server
    NVCPL.DLL 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA Compatible Windows7 Display driver, Version 185.85
    PhysX 909.02.03 NVIDIA PhysX
    NVCUDA.DLL 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA CUDA 2.2 driver
    nvGameS.dll 8.15.11.8585 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

So, I really want to win this competition but the result is depended on how good is your SUGGESTION.

I want to see the following features on future VIDEO CARDS:-

First of all we can't blame any GRAPHIC CARD MANUFACTURER for giving low performance by graphic cards because if anyone does not hava a good SYSTEM then a GRAPHIC CARD doesn't work as it is meant to be.

*RAM = It should be aboove 3 GB (whether it is GDDR3, GDDR5, DDR3 etc) because as the GPU creates images, it needs somewhere to hold information and completed pictures so it uses the card's RAM for this purpose, storing data about each pixel, its color and its location on the screen. AND the RAM should have more than 2 ports(DUAL PORTED). And it's speed is must be above 2.6 Ghz so it can create images very FAST.

*BUS TYPE = It should be PCIe x16 2.0 because then it can give VERY good performance.

*MEMORY CLOCK = It must be above 1200 Mhz

*MEMORY BANDWITH = It should be above 200 GB/Sec

*FLOPS = Above 1800 GFLOPS

*PIXEL FILL RATE = Above 30000 MPixels/Sec

*TEXTURE FILL RATE = Above 90000 Mtexels/Sec

*Core Clock = Above 650 Mhz

*Noise Level = LOW

*Frame buffer = 1800 MB and above

*Process = 60 nm and below

*Shader Proocessors = 500(250) and above

*FANS = Large Fans so that they can reduce HEAT as much as possible but why we can't put small ACs as we are living in 21st CENTURY we develop it but the problem with the ACs is just that the heat released by them is a part of causing GLOBAL WARMING but if we exclude this danger then it is very good for graphic cards as the fan will low down the temperature by 20 degree Celcius but with small ACs it can go by 15 degree Celcius this means that it gives commendable performance or above it.

*HDTV, HDMI, DVI Compatible

*It has the ability to give more performance by tweaking the BIOS so that when anyone tweaks with GRAPHIC CARDS it sometimes may blow up but tweaking is not really needed if a manufacturer gives every thing that the customer wants.

*A small LCD SCREEN with a speaker where one can see the temperature of GPU, how much FRAMES it is giving per second and if the GPU is over heated then it makes a sound saying "OVERHEATED" or any other problem occurs then alarming us by saying the PROBLEM.

ANOTHER AND EASIEST WAY IS ASUS MUST OPEN it's CENTRES AT MAIN PLACES ALL OVER THE WORLD LIKE IN DELHI, CHENNAI, BANGALORE, NOIDA etc in INDIA so THAT PEOPLE CAN GO TO THESE CENTRES AND SELECT ITEMS THAT THEY WANT TO BE IN THEIR CARDS AND COMPANY CAN HANG A LIST OF EVERY THING THAT IS FITTED IN THE CARD WITH ITS RANGE SO THAT THERE ARE NO BAD REVIEWS ABOUT THE GRAPHIC CARDS ON INTERNET AND EVERYONE CAN AFFORD GRAPHIC CARDS BUT THEN THERE WILL BE NO SPECIFIC NAMES FOR DIFFERENT GRAPHIC CARDS. IF THIS IDEA IS IMPLEMENTED THEN THE WORLD OF GRAPHIC CARDS WILL CHANGE. THOUGH THE COMPANY CAN INVENT NEW TECHNOLOGIES BUT KEEPING THEM SEPERATE TO BUY AND NOT PUTTING ALL-IN-ONE. BY THIS IDEA ONE WHO PAYS MORE WILL GET MORE PERFORMANCE LEADING TO NO BAD REVIEWS ON INTERNET AND NOT MAKING THE IMAGE DOWN OF A COMPANY BY THEM.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  16. just4now

just4now New Member

AW: Win an ASUS GTX275 Graphics card @ Driverheaven!

In my opinion Asus should lower the Voltage and develop quiet thermal designs. They should produce also more quality products instead of cheaper ones.

:=)

17. Dr. Mindbender

Dr. Mindbender New Member

LOL! Did you really expect that video card to be a big performer? That would like buying a Honda Fit and complaining it is not winning any street races!

18. baggy1609

baggy1609 New Member

As such asus overclocking support is well known but the problem comes with the price tag... So if they could reduce that then it would be very good.... All though i am totally impressed with the heat pipes... I still wish for a better cooling as a matx user is sure to get fried

19. saiyanajay

saiyanajay New Member

When ever we think of a good graphic card, a hindrance comes... a good psu.
    I often think if I could put the money of psu in to buying the card. So it will be a good idea if an external dc plug that can be plugged directly to the ups is present.

20. skar

skar New Member

Drop Catalyst and put HDMI ports on all their HD capable cards