Win an ASUS GTX275 Graphics card @ Driverheaven!

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 14, 2009.

1. x.clay

x.clay New Member

I want Asus to allow me to build my own video card by allowing me pick the board, GPU, amount and type of RAM, and cooling solution.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. x.clay

x.clay New Member

I would like to see Asus provide a lifetime warranty similar to XFX and a step up program like EVGA.

3. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

i would like asus to make Better silent and powerful gpu cooling fan , more Higher factory overclock , provide superb rma services also less power consuming and lastly I would like asus to have a graphics card that pwns all the other brands out there in the market

i always feel that asus was a very strong brand so prove me correct =D

good luck everyone

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. emmi

emmi Driverheaven Mirror Provider

- More RAM
    - Noiseless cooling solution

5. x.clay

x.clay New Member

I would like to see Asus come out with a graphics card optimized for folding @ home and similar applications. GPU folding can put up some serious points per day so it would be nice for Asus to give a nod to all the people that donate their computer power to finding cures.

6. FunkZ

FunkZ New Member

Probably the most important feature to me that I consider paramount for video card manufacturers is having high quality power components that don't squeal under load. There's nothing more annoying than having to listen to a high-pitched whine when enjoying your favorite game.

7. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Oeh, I also have a nice idea.

How about some LEDS that indicate how hard the card is working. Or how much memory of the card is used. Something like Crucial Tracers :)

Looks great in Casemods I think :)

8. koji126

koji126 New Member

Future features I'd like to see would be some better cooling and probably overclocked editions of the cards.

9. Hodgson

Hodgson New Member

I'm new to this site and not entirely sure how to enter for the card, so I'll try this:

"DriverHeaven, the No.1 tech support site in the world!"

10. bizkit.levi

bizkit.levi New Member

Asus should have some software or some extra ram to add some virtual memory or be available when the card begins to cough under some heavy loading. Of course lower temperatures would be the first thing to do besides some single slot, quiet cooling system.

11. hottorch

hottorch New Member

Upgrade the memory to DDR5

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

maybe you missed this:

Read here on how to enter

Oh, and some more for Asus to think about..

Everybody is mentioning more ram, so I will mention something else.
    Try to get some cooling that will lower today's temps with stockcooling.. I mean 70-90 degrees under load in quite high in my opinion and can be lower.

Lifetime warranty, even in Europe. (With some wide margins, less little words, would be nice :) )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  13. Burdokva

Burdokva New Member

A feature like a software/driver feature to quickly and manualy operate fan speeds for all future ASUS cards, and maybe a physical device for the top-end cards.

I'd like the idea of a changeable coolers with custom slots. So, say I buy a reference design Radeon card from ASUS but I'm not exactly happy with the cooler - once ASUS releases a new, custom version (like their excellent EAH-TOP or similar) I can buy only the cooler of the new ASUS model and change the reference on mine, without voiding the warranty and without any serious complications. All ASUS PCBs can accept all coolers ASUS will release for different incarnations of the same card without any modifications - maybe a simply slide onto the card would be great!

So, I get the reference and later on, when ASUS releases (say) a silent version, an improved basic version, a heavy overclock version and a liquid one, I can simply choose a new cooler for my already ASUS card and put it on. No warranty problems, no fitting issues, no wondering what firm to buy etc.

I'd like to get a kit if I buy a top-end ASUS card, with replacement thermal paste, cleaning tools designed for the GFX card, extra cables and fittings if something is broken or doesn't work. Maybe a high-quality poster too (only for the top stuff, of course, basic GFX card better left plain).

But I'd really like to see slot-based easily intercheangable cooling from the same manufacturer!

14. deBelly

deBelly New Member

Just improve/add everything that helps reaching higher overclocks... Like top quality components and PCB, efficient cooling solutions that expel heat out of the case, software voltage regulation, spoilers, go-faster stripes...

15. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

ASUS would be complete in the graphics card department with a step-up program, much like that of EVGA. I think any company can learn from that idea, really.

Oh, and some peripherals would be cool. Like a speedometer-esque gauge that shows voltage, temperate, etc. Make it be able to overclock on the fly too, perhaps?

16. kevnam

kevnam New Member

I think the physical products that Asus makes are top notch already. What I would like to see is a better warranty. Although their current 3 year warranty is good, other companies like XFX, EVGA, and BFG offer lifetime warranty!.

17. pagancow

pagancow New Member

I really want to see a video card that packs performance from a 2 slot video card into one slot for HTPCs via some sort of external heatsink that lays in the back, or water cooling. The huge heatsink/fan combo on the stock Nvidia design really sucks :(

18. Dilb

Dilb New Member

A water-cooled card with a radiator in place of the heat sink to reduce water temps before it reaches the core.

19. Dilb

Dilb New Member

On the really high end air cooled cards, have the heat sinks made completely of copper.

20. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Note: This message has been heavily edited.

When I first posted my ideas here for low power / quiet solutions, I didn't know about the ASUS Matrix cards. Yesterday I started searching for silent graphics cards, and discovered these cards, which are passively cooled when doing 2D, only switching on the fans for 3D. Sounds great, and I'd really love an EAH4870 MATRIX (though I'm not going to buy it). And, BTW, ASUS' site sucks. They'd probably sell more of these cards if the links worked or it was easy to find them.

Given that ASUS has these cards, I figured I'll revise the entry. What I proposed is still reasonable (in a far fetched sort of way), but it's better to put it in context of what ASUS already has available.

So first of all, I'd like to be able to have per-program (considering the program in the foreground) control of over/underclocking and fan speed. ASUS already has a utility with decent control for this, but being able to set this per program would be nice. Sometimes a game running at 30 fps or so is totally fine (for exmple a turn based strategy), and there's no need to make all the power of the card available.

Another idea is to be able to use integrated graphics, basically turning the discrete card completely off for "2D" (i.e., limited 3D, since Aero uses 3D hardware). The trick here is to make the switch between the cards. Transferring data over the PCIe bus might work, but doing something like the old Voodoo cards, where the video out of the integrated graphics plugs into the discrete card, would probably be a better solution. With digital outputs (DVI, HDMI) there should be no quality loss. There'd still be need for driver support for switching between the cards, and this might require Windows 7 if they require different drivers, but that's not a huge price to pay for this power saving in 2D, IMO.

An extension of this idea is to put a high end and low end chips on the same card. The low end chip will use little power -- less than the high end when clocked down, so will be even better for passive cooling than what ASUS is doing now. Memory could either be shared between the chips (should be a memory type compatible with both, and the low end chip will access just a part of it, due to its smaller bus), or each chip come with its own memory. If the low end is an NVIDIA chip, it could remain powered when the high end chip is rendering, and function as a PhysX chip (it'd have to have its own RAM for this).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009