Win an ATI 4870 X2 video card !

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyska

Shyska New Member

I bet it can't outperform my IGP :uhoh: No chance ;)

2. cj100570

cj100570 New Member

Screw the sob story.... I just want the card because I don't have 1 and I hear it's kick @$$!

3. night_cralwer

night_cralwer New Member

i have 2 hd3870 in crossfire and now there was a serge in ma house and both card a basically dead and not covered under warranty. please help me out so i can play games again please :)

4. 3.65 Kilos

3.65 Kilos New Member

It's a cruel, terrible world for me. The world has long been destroyed by war, atomic weaponry, and terrible terrible man-made diseases. I don't even leave me home in fear of the outside world. Allow me to give a short history lesson...

December 5, 2161: The great Vault Dweller leaves the sacred Vault 13 in search of a water chip.

February, 2162: The great Vault Dweller recovers the water chip, saving Vault 13.

March, 2162: The Vault Dweller defeats the retched Master, saving the wastelands from his evil.

July, 2162: The Vault Dweller is exiled from Vault 13 and leaves to start his own village, Arroyo.

----

July 27, 2241: The Choson One of Arroyo leaves to find a G.E.C.K in order to save his village.

Fall, 2242: The Chosen One destroys the oil tanker, the base of the Enclave, kills the President of the United States of America, and retrieves a G.E.C.K. He is a hero for destroying the enclaving and preventing them from world domination, and for saving Arroyo.

---

Present, year 2277: My father has left Vault 101. I must leave my home to find him and possibly save the world from farther evil and cruel people. For you see, I also wish to follow in the footsteps of the great Vault Dweller and the mighty Chosen One. But I have nothing, and the outside world is very unfamiliar. If only I had something to assist me, so that I could see the world in crisp detail, staggering framerates (yes, those occur in real life), and have a general advantage over the evils of the wastelands....

5. ironleg

ironleg New Member

I want the card to do what it is used for gaming, kids, movies. I want too be able to play crysis, world in conflict and upcoming games. as you know I lost a leg a while back. I got kit by a kid outside my vehicle and lost my leg. John Haken's Photos | Facebook

I have a family of 5 and we really need this card because we could never afford one ourselves. I am on SSD and dont make much money.John Haken's Photos | Facebook

My family loves computers and games. Even my youngest one loves computers too. John Haken's Photos | Facebook I have been hospitalized several times this last year and it would mean a lot to have this video card.John Haken's Photos | Facebook
    I have tried several times to win an video card that I could use to frag and do headshots with on today's games and my youngest son can play starcraft, while his big brother plays and learns to do what it takes to learn to design video games. My family loves to frag with the best and I hope we win because we cannot afford to get a card like this. this is a true sob story. hers the pics too

best wishes

6. me972

me972 Active Member

every time there is a prize on to be given on DH i keep telling Z.. that I think I need to get it cause its not even for me.!!. I managed to save up and go from old ati 9800SE to 8800GTS.. took me awhile and now i want to get my dad a good rig I'm going to buy the mobo, cpu and mem and it would help me a great deal to get good card as this. since the only game my dad realy loves is MS flight sim... thats a demanding game as you all know.. so please.. please...please let me suprise him :)

thanks for reading.
    me972

7. zensaber

zensaber New Member

I need this card so that i can go back and prevent the french from aiding the americans in the revolution thus changing the future, QUICK i NEED TO SAVE THE EMPIRE!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  8. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

I really need this card because my computer is horrid when it comes to the new Source Engine. Sometimes I cry myself to sleep because it's so bad.

Not to mention Far Cry 2 is going to suck on this rig. That'll make me bawl.

Please, save me from crying D:

9. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I want a videocard powerfull enough to give me luekemia. Then I can call ABC and get Extreme Makeover to build me a new house with a dope ass lan room filled with PC's strong enough to give everyone I hate luekemia too. Pwned.

10. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

Oh and if you don't give me this card then you are all fags.

11. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 New Member

Great Contest :drool:

12. DeadPooL_X_

DeadPooL_X_ New Member

I am really getting tired of my computer laughing at me in its hideous, insipid visuals, I want to punch it in the throat, please DH help a mofo out.

13. gamerguy127

gamerguy127 New Member

I have never been able to play any games on full or half full even, because of my intel integrated graphics card and my last system was a time computer that had a 1.8GHZ processor, 512MB RAM, 20GB hard drive, an integrated graphics card and only a cd player that computer struggled to play project IGI (look it up if you've never heard of it ang youll see what i mean) on anything less than medium. I was only just able to afford this dell a year ago and then it only had an intel pentium dual core 1.8GHZ, FSB 2200MHZ and 1 gig of ram so i had to change those and the power supply from 300w to 650w, so currently my gaming expirience has been limited to my ps2 psp, so as you can see i really need this graphics card as i cannot even think about playing any of the games my mates have online or off and i wont be able to for many years to come untill i get a job so please dh i really need this card or my life will just be plain boring:tears::tears:

14. MaXXimus

MaXXimus New Member

Well my story starts when my mom gave me money from when my father passed away and I wanted to buy a new computer. I always wanted an Alienware so I bought their top of line model at the time (about 6 - 7 months ago) and it cost me between $6000 - $7000. The day it arrived I patiently took everything out of their boxes and put it all together. When I turned it on I was amazed, but with a few minutes I started hearing this crackling noise now and then (almost like when plastic is expanding) so at first I assumed it was because of its outter plastic housing and the internal heat buildup... but the noise persisted after about a half hour so I opened up the side of it to be sure nothing might have come loose on the water cooling for the CPU. Well, I was pretty shocked when I bumped up against one of the water cooling hoses and damn near got a blister from how hot it was. I quickly shut down the system and called tech support, only to be disappointed by the news that my In House warrenty doesnt cover the water cooling system and it had to be sent back for repairs... so there I was within 30 minutes of almost $7000 (or so) investment, boxing it all back up and then having to wait the entire weekend to ship it out.

About 3 weeks later I received it back and again (along with a free Killer K1 network card for the trouble) took my time unboxing it and hooking it all up. Pressed the power button and wadda know? Snap Crackle Pop... it was doing the same darned thing that it was doing before I sent it out. So again I check the hose and it was hot as could be. I called Tech Support flipping out asking them how on earth could a system pass so-called testing before its released to the customer and be overheating? And then send it in for repairs and receive it back again with overheating problems? Shouldnt this have been caught on either occasion while Techs were doing testing on it?

Anyway I flat out snap and tell them I want my money back and they asked if I would mind talking to one of the higher up Techs so I agree. Within a few minutes of describing my problem, this Tech tells me to remove this chrome piece that is attached to the rear of the case and once I do so.... the temps drop to normal... one silly stinken piece of plastic on the back had a grill overtop of the where the air for the water cooling system comes out and was actually restricting the airflow. All this aggravation over something so simple... something that they had 2 chances to find... I mean seriously, if they are suppose to do burn tests and other things then why did it leave twice without being found? Anyway... system was back to normal temps and I went about installing my game Call of Duty 4.

After an hour of playing COD 4... BOOM... system reboots, I was like WTH? So again I play and after a few minutes... BOOM... reboots again. I was like "you got to be kidding me" I started looking around for cameras because I thought I might be on Funniest Home videos or something. My system continued to reboot no matter what I did. I kinda narrowed it down to what seemed like a memort leak but Alienware Techs didnt want to hear it... they wanted me to send it in again, told them they must be kidding... especially after the last dealings with them. I told them I would try and figure it out on my own before even thinking about boxing it back up. I tested and tested for months to no avail... sometimes it would be fine for a few hours and sometimes it would reboot within minutes, completly random. Finally I called up and just requested my money back and they had me jumping through hoops... finally I wrote a nice email to the CEO of Alienware describing how I got the money through my father passing and all the bs I had put up with since literally day one of owning the system... within 2 days I was called by some woman manager and told me I would receive every penny back without any of their tyical restocking fees.

2 weeks went by and the money was back in my account and I decided to take my chances in building my own system. I ordered up all my parts... QX9650, Maximus Formula Mobo, 4 Gig Dominator PC8500, 2 3870 X2's and so on. A couple days after ordering I was talking to a buddy and he asked me what case I ordered... OH MY GOD!!! I forgot to order a case!!! So doing some research I thought it would be cool to do water cooling, some of the system pics I saw on this one forum were really amazing. So I opted for an awesome case, Lian Li 343B... and just my luck... there wasnt one to found anywhere in the USA and everyone told me it would be almost 2 months before restock. I looked around for other cases but none stacked up to this one. So I waited the almost 2 months and had the system running like a champ and setup on a cardboard box.

Case came in and I was a little nervous about modding it myself because I wanted to mount 2 radiators in the top of the case, so I waited on a buddy a few days and he came over and helped me out some. We didnt accomplish much, so I had to do it on my own over the next week or so... it didnt turn out too bad, I did make a few too many cuts but all in all it was a success. Then I started installing what I could before being able to start the actual water cooling install... everything went rather smoothly. now came time for the water cooling install... man this was not fun. Trying to install the radiators was a major hassle, the tubing was a real pain to get on and the video card water blocks were kinda twisting the boards so I had to loosen them up some but was afraid at that point they might not be making the proper connection they needed for proper cooling. Anway... I kept on and finally got it all setup, pushed all kinds of paper towels inside the case and around any parts I could without any problems. I turned on the power to the pumps and sat there a few seconds while the radiators filled up and WOOSH!!! Leak out of radiator one... hmmmm... so then I hooked up radiator two and wadda ya know.... WOOOSH!!! Another damned leak... now I was ticked. All this time, all this money and all this aggravation and leaking radiators. I thought maybe they were defective but here after some investigation it turns out that a few of the screws I used (they were supplied by the grill company) were slightly longer then they should have been and punctured holes in the radiators.

I called up the Grill company and they tell me its not their problem, that I should have checked the lengths... well if these grills were designed for this specific radiator then why would I need to check anything? It never even crossed my mind to be honest. Called the radiator company and they tell me the typical thing... if it wasnt a defect in the radiator itself then its not their problem and wont be covered under warrenty.

So there I sit with all this water cooling equipment that was now useless unless I wanted to spend another almost $500 for new rads... I said the heck with it and opted to go all air. I dismantle the whole computer so I can remove all the water cooling blocks and then start putting everything back together. I needed some new thermal pads for one the 3870 X2's since some got damaged when taking them apart so I install one of them and put one aside while waiting on the shipment. I install the card and boot up... hmmmm... it gets half way through Windows loading screen and then I receive a black screen saying "No video signal" OH MY GOD!!! You got to be kidding? So I yank it out, take it apart and swap out all the thermal pads to the other one and that oen boots up fine. So I assumed that something went wrong with the card during the water block install and the twisting it was doing to it.

Called up ATI and explain to them but was told that since the housing was removed then my warrenty was no good. So there I was stuck with a busted $500 video card. A couple weeks went by and started hearing this crazy sound from computer... just my luck... the video cards fan was going. I yanked the one out of the busted one and replaced the bad one and been working fine since. But over the past couple months at least once or twice a day my screen goes black and tells me no video signal and I have to reboot to get it back again working.

This entire ordeal since day one has been nothing but a nightmare to say the least, so to be so fortunate as to win a 4870 X2 would put an end to this bad dream and put my system which was dedicated to my father back into 100% tip top shape and would sure be one fitting end to this project.

15. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I'm need this because I love ATI so much because I fold at home on ATI team on my PS3. My computer sucks so bad because it's so slow to fold at home at ATI team with my currect ati card I never try because my CPU useage is so bad.

16. TCkiller

TCkiller New Member

I have and awsome pc but is stills missing something the graphics card I belive that with 4870x2 I could make him a lot better.... I don't have fake stories to tell but I will tell something I don't have cash... but will not cry like the others in this forum... If I win I win if I lose I lose =D I wope that I will win I would be have for your reply =D "DH"

17. supdog

supdog New Member

My wife said i would start getting took care of again if i updated my crappy 9200 so she can play the sims 2 at maxed settings and i have a new gigabyte board that is need of an upgrade.

18. kazuwelle

kazuwelle New Member

The plain truth of the matter is I have a family. If I buy this, I die (She showed my the knife...one I bought 3 months ago). I really can't afford this, but will risk almost certain death buying it (funny I didn't get in trouble for buying the knife....hmm). If I don't win, please send a cleric to my home for I will definitely need a rez.

19. Knight_Breed

Knight_Breed New Member

Aspiring through a semiconductor gate,
    Speed enhanced sevenfold,
    Paired with Crossfire for it's mate,
    Dust Nvidia see's when all is told.

:D

20. Armoured

Armoured New Member

Hi
    I need this graphics card for make a realistic rendering of my kite! 0_0

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008