Win an ATI 4870 X2 video card !

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pesticle

Pesticle New Member

I need this card because my life is a swirling torrent of pain and misery unless I slaughter other gamers at the highest of settings

2. Cormega

Cormega New Member

Hello,

I really don't know who is worthy of actually winning or not but i wish everyone luck and hope the moderators take a glance at my post.

Well me and my wife pretty much have full time jobs and have a beautiful little girl together; the hard thing about being a new parent is actually not having much time for your self. My hours are hectic i work the grave night shift from 11 PM- 10, and my wife works from 2- 9PM, during that time i take care of my daughter. I have 0 to no complaint about the time i spend with my daughter since I'm crazy for her but honestly its been 2 years of same routine. The only time i have for my self is on my days off which i love spending on my computer playing shooters with my friends since it releases me from all the stress build up.

The sad part about it is that all my friends have moved up to play more demanding games that my computer cant handle like *Crysis*. I pretty much started to build a new computer 6 months ago but i don't have the funds to spend 500 dollars on a video card at the moment, i do have a 1k power supply which is required and a nforce 680i MB that a friend of mine basically gave for cheap since he upgrade to a newer motherboard. So all i basically need is a nice video card. I would really love to win this video card, it would really help me take my mind off things while I have some human friendly interaction with friends other then a work environment. Again thanks for reading my post and best of luck to all of you wishing to win this video card.

3. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

Its pretty bad when my grandmother has a better system than i am currently running. I need a good card because my major in college is multimedia design(which includes 3d modeling). I was thinking about taking out a little more on my college loan to upgrade my computer, and this card would really help me out in life, especially with the US economy as it is now. Even if I don't win I really appreciate the amount of contests you have had to help numerous gamers keep that eye candy up. Keep up the good work Zardon and the rest of the DH team.

4. ironleg

ironleg New Member

I wish the rest good luck.
    I would like to win this card because my oldest son started computer tech classes and art classes [​IMG]

he has always loved computers and games. he decided when games like starcraft, warcraft, doom3 , farcry, that he wanted to design games because he likes playing them as well. his classes he is taking is going towards colledge credits so this card would help out very much. we have a Antec Quattro true power 1000 watt power supply so power souldnt be an issue ( a gift from my brother). I will never be able to afford a card like this on my limited income. my youngest son is following in his brothers footsteps

[​IMG]

I hope to win this time around as it would work perfectly with my system and be put to good use.
    best wishes

5. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I want this card because I'm 26 with three children...

...and still a virgin.

6. chaitanyaraghav

chaitanyaraghav New Member

I should get this card because i am an aspiring game developer working out physics calculations on INTEL GPU!!!
    god!! i'll never be able to make anything with that!So, if you would give me this lovely 4870 x2, i might be able to make a wow or a GTA!!!!!!!

7. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

i deserve this card because i have always been rejected. the 4870 x2 would fulfill my every need..

8. desertfox

desertfox New Member

I really want to get this video card, coz i've been tricked when i buy my new rig. I waste more than $500 to buy a new rig, that i think will be a good one. Instead i only get a rubbish.
    My rig is:
    Intel pentium D 3.0 ghz
    ddr2 1 gb
    GF 73gs.
    asus p5vd2 mx
    WDC 160 gb

I hope i can get this card, coz i don't have enough money to buy it.

9. bzbrown

bzbrown New Member

I'm not going to lie to you. I don't have "cancer in my right eye." I was not "hit by a car." I also have no idea how to I could possibly use the ATI 4870 X2 video card to "feed the starving children in Africa."

The reason I want the card is rather simple. I would like to have the card so that my sister and I can game with my Dad. He works out of state most of the time, and gaming is something we do together. It's also a way to communicate instead of having to have an IM window up at the same time. (Which gets a bit annoying, as you may know) I honestly don't know all the technical details about the card. My dad knows that stuff. I just nod along with him and pretend to understand while I fix his html coding for him. I'm also not going to say I'll use it to learn computer hardware stuff, because I really won't. I'm more interested in coding, making webpages, etc. I just want the card so that my sister, my dad, and I can game together while he's away, and I know we can't afford to buy one ourselves. (Believe me, I've tried.)

Maybe my reason isn't sob sad story enough to win, so if it's not, I'd just like to point this out - at least I'm telling the truth.

p.s - Please take into account that this is the DAUGHTER, not the old fart dad <--- :) before you send any rude message replies. thank you

10. bzbrown

bzbrown New Member

Red is certainly obnoxious, isn't it. ;D

Oh, and to clear up questions, this profile does belong to the Dad, but the daughter likes to come on and fix his pathetic attempts at html, and talk in 3rd person.

11. dagski

dagski New Member

i'm from a 3rd world country which is greatly affected by the US financial crisis; by which my plan of acquiring an ATI 4870 x2 is set back for another 5 years. please DH, save me 5 years of day dreaming about gaming in "Ultra High" settings.

12. Prodigys

Prodigys New Member

Re: Win an rocking ATI 4870 X2 video card !

I want to win this nice card becuase said in short : IT ROCKS !

And I want to forget my tears about the 9800GTX+ that Jejking stole from me with my slogan... :sigh: ... Not so a big fan from Nvidia but ey...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  13. z3ro33

z3ro33 New Member

I simply want this card. I'm 5 years on AGP

14. Prodigys

Prodigys New Member

Re: Win an rocking ATI 4870 X2 video card !

Maybe I want the card also to set it next to my HD4850's... Then I will feel the REAL power behind ATI... :taste:.

15. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

would like this card so when I start my study as a architect, I won't have to buy a new card for the design/rendering stuff I have to do.

16. Rudick

Rudick New Member

Want this card to know what truly high end in gaming means, get a taste of finer things in life and if possible then try to run the "Fusion" utility and benchmark it. I also want to meet Mr. Niko in his full glory so for our meet a good view is necessary too.

17. Mr Dean

Mr Dean New Member

The Lord of the GPUs

I used to be a well respected hobbit with hairy feet that enjoyed many hearty meals a day and spending my summer nights playing Crysis in my homey hovel, albeit at medium graphics quality. All was well in the world it seemed until that fateful summer day whence my story begins.
    It was my birthday and I was fishing with my cousin enjoying the outdoors as a good hobbit should when he was pulled out of the boat by a goodly sized fish. He was pulled under water and it seemed a lengthy time that he was submerged. When gasping for air he emerged, a gleaming trinket he held in his hairy hands. When his breath was replenished I asked, "What have you there my dearest cousin?" For I knew he held no mere bauble.
    "I know not." He replied. "A picture of a fair wicth adorns its facade and unknown runes display ATI 4870 X2. Can you decipher this my cousin?" He said.
    A cloud then darkened the sun and a shadow fell upon us. I knew exactly what he beheld. "A simple trifle is all you hold my kith." I lied, for the beauty of the 4870 X2 had arrested me and the lust of sheer graphical power captured me.
    "May I have it? It is my birthday my love."
    "I think I will keep it." He replied defensively. I tried to grab it from him.
    "I really would like to have it as my present." He held it close. I reached for him and as I reached we fell to the ground. The card held me in its spell. I felt it calling to me. I must have it. I would do anything to play Crysis at a high resolution. I reached for the card once more. We struggled for a moment. I was completely entranced. I placed my hands around his neck. His eyes grew wide as I felt his life diminish. His hands loosened and the shadow of the sun darkened.
    "What have I done?" I said. I gazed upon the graphics card. It was much bigger than any I had ever used before. It was glorious. As I took it in my hands I knew it was worth it. It was precious. "My precious." I wheezed.
    When guilt I felt, I ran, I hid under the mountains away from prying eyes guarding my precious, never leaving its side for long. In the dark of the deepest caves the beauty of the 4870 X2's graphical renditions were resplendent.
    After some long time had passed, gaming and fishing and gaming, a week voice I heard from the darkness. A haggard hobbit approached wearing a faded Nvidia t-shirt. He was unaware of my presence and so I waited in the dark, listening. I must protect my precious. I slowly approached, perhaps I would eat him. Many years in the darkest of caves eating only raw fish changes a person, and my lust and worship of the 4870 X2 had driven me mad. I valued it above all else. "Yes," i said, "I will eat him."
    "Who is there?" He said timidly.
    "You smell delicious, perhaps I will eat you." I said.
    He tried to retreat down a tunnel but I cut him off. Turning to me he said "Do not eat me, I taste awful."
    "Do you like riddles?" I said, for little did I know that he loved riddles.
    "Indeed, I do." He said.
    "If you can answer my riddle well I will shut my eyes and let you flee." This was to be simple I thought.
    "If that is my only chance." He said, knowing that I knew these caves better than anyone.
    "What single slot graphics solution is perhaps the very best of the best, the worlds fastest graphics card?" I asked, thinking he would answer like any Nvidia fanboy and say that the best single slot graphics solution was Nvidia's new GTX 280.
    He paused as if thinking. "ATI's new Radeon 4870 X2." he said. I was shocked as I realized I had been tricked. I told him I would close my eyes and let him run. I would hunt him.
    I closed my eyes, he ran, I counted. I opened my eyes. I could smell this hobbit, this would indeed be easy. My nose led me back towards my dwelling, the deepest hole in the darkest cave under the mountain. Right up to my PC I followed his scent. As I approached I noticed my monitors were blank. I knew immediatly something was wrong as I had not used a screen saver in years. My case was open and my precious was gone. My heart felt many things that moment: grief, guilt, fear, but the strongest by far was rage.
    I hunted that hobbit until the trail led to the entrance of the caves. I had not been in the outside world for years. My body was wasted away, gaunt, pale and hideous. I feared the light. It took a moment of contemplation before I decided I must retreave my precious at any cost.
    I sought the hobbit that stole my precious many days. I followed him to his home where I learned that he entrusted it to his nephew. I followed his nephew to the gates of Nvidia herself. I could not enter so I waited. I must retreive my precious at any cost.
    Upon leaving the sanctuary of Nvidia the bearer of the 4870 X2 was in the company of many heros. They led the bearer far across the land. They battled many foes great and small. At each clash I hoped for the bearer to fall. I knew I could then retreive my precious. For I was no match in physical stature or battle prowess to best the company that surrounded the 4870 X2 bearer. I must observe and wait for my chance I thought.
    When after many leagues the bearer said to his company, "I must go on alone. Only I have the strength to rid the world of this GPU. When it is gone Nvidia will be the king once more."
    He approached the flaming mountain alone. He climbed among the rocks ascending a hidden stair case. I followed. The heat and noise became intense as we approached an ancient doorway. He entered in then carrying the 4870 X2. As I crept along behind him I knew at last what he meant to do. I could not let that happen.
    I jumped on his back as he reached out to cast the ATI 4870 X2 into the belly of the volcano. I knew then that I had made a grievous mistake for I jostled his hold on the card and it fell to the edge of the abyss, teetering on the edge of destruction. I reached for it but it evaded my grasp and slid into the inferno never to be seen again.
    I raced from that place, going wherever my feet would take me. Many years I wallowed in pity. I knew no hope then. I could not bring my self to play Crysis on medium settings after I had beheld the beauty that was DX10 Very High. The world was in darkness then. The wind was colder and the sun lost its warmth.
    One day when returning from a long fruitless day of fishing I overheard a conversation that gave me hope again. The rumor is that the mighty smiths that once forged the fastest graphics card are at it again. The world would not be left in darkness for long. I must get the ATI 4870 X2, but this time I would not horde it to myself in the darkest deepest caves of solitude but I would proudly horde it to my self in the village so that all could see how special I am and how amazing Crysis looks at very high settings. In this way the joy of the ATI 4870 X2 would be spread around a world in need of joy and all would call it precious.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  18. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Well-Known Member

These high gas prices have been killing me.. I had to sell parts of my system just to be able to afford gas for a few months. I'm stuck with my old Voodoo 3 right now!

Unreal Tournament at 800x600 on a Voodoo 3; it doesn't get any better than that... wait........

19. Majin GeoDooD

Majin GeoDooD Well-Known Member

You know.. I've already won two DH competitions (2x X1650XT and a copy of Call of Juarez), so you wouldn't think I'd need to win another... WRONG! DH has now spoiled me with winning competitions, and if I don't win on a regular basis from now on then someone else is going to be doing the sobbing!

Do the right thing...

20. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

As I have explained before, I live in this shitty country (Denmark) with the highest taxes in the world and where prices on hardware are ridiculous, so I have to work all the time, so I can afford some decent hardware.

A card like HD 4870 X2 is going to take A LOT of extra work, but at the moment it's not possible and here is why. So one of my friends needed to lay a new roof on his house and I helped him with it from friday to late sunday. We finished it, even though the weather wasn't great, but now I got a cold and a strained back :( So now I can't work extra hard, which means I can't save up money for decent hardware.

Help out a sick, crippled person who lives in a tax nightmare :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.