Win XP + Nvidia please help if you can

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by asafii, Jul 8, 2002.

1. asafii

asafii New Member

Hello
    This problem has been plauging me now for at least two months and it is really irratating because this computers is brand new and shouldnt be giving me all this crap.

You have probably heard of this error a million times the rather infamous " nvidia infinite loop ". I first installed XP and started playing games and got this error with Xp`s deafult drievrs . The error only occurs when i am in 3d mode. The first thing i looked at was power supply and bios settings but i ruled this problem out because i had another partition on my HD which was running 98SE and this worked just fine without any freezing problems at all. I then thought maybe i should update my driver so started working through the 21 serries up to the 27 series and nothing there seemed to work either the errors either became more frequent or less frequent but they were definitely there.

I then to make sure it wasnt a faulty copy of XP got another XP copy and installed it and lo and behold the same f^*ing error. So i did everything i tried to use VIa`s Test driver fix which didnt help i also flashed my mobo`s bios which didnt help and i changed interrupt from PIc to APIC which didnt help either nuthing i ahv done has helped so far. I ahve read through hundreds of solutions and none of them work for me.Yetserday i decided to upgrade to the 29.42 drivers to see maybe ill ebcome lucky and no it works for like 5 mins in a game then freezes for like a min drops all my net connections and downloads and then goes back into the game it is evry fustrating playing a game and every 5 mins you have a 1 min break. I have contacted all tech supports but they are absolutely useless so maybe you guys could help.

My System Specs are :

AMD XP 1800 +
    Us Robotics 56k Modem
    GA-7ZXE motherboard (socket A processor)
    VIA Kt133A + 686B AGPset
    AC 97` onboard sound card
    Asus AGP V3800 Magic video card w/ tvout (TNT2 M64 32mb accelarator)
    40x Cd Rom
    Verbatim Cd writer
    Hd Maxtor 40gb

Thanks in advance

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

infinite loop

Have you tried swapping out the video card for a different one? I have tried to reproduce that error and found that even with 2 cards the same , 1 will work and the other won't no matter what you try.
    :confused:

3. asafii

asafii New Member

Nope i havnt

but im sure its not the card or a hardware relate issue because it works ok in 98SE its only XP that has major problems . I know this problem is experienced by many users by looking at all diff forums but i think maybe if people who hav managed to fix their probs and there are quite a few of them out there , if those people could say what worked for them then it would help all the other people who are having similar problems to me. Im almost sure it has to be a XP issue because it cant be that it works in like ME and 98 but as soon as u upgrade to XP it doesnt work.

4. tigertian

tigertian New Member

Your problem is the same as my friend's.His Graphic card is TNT2 32MB.It didn't work under WInxp.So he Nuked the XP and used 98se.So I advise you to use Windows98se or to
    change your Graphic card!OK?

5. iceboy

iceboy New Member

TNT2??

use microsoft drivers from default

6. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

with tnt2 u might as well use older drivers that don't have this bug - new drivers will do little for you with that card - I suggest going back to something like 7.68 or something - they were fast - or 6.50....unless u discover that they run a lot slower then your current ones - they let me know and I'll think of a something else...

7. asafii

asafii New Member

I have tried the 14.41 but ill take your suggestions and download the 6.xx series and then ill come back with a reply. Thanks for all the replies so far.
    BTw i hav tried

29.xx
    27.xx
    26.xx
    21.xx
    14.xx
    with no good result yet

8. asafii

asafii New Member

I have now also tried the 6.62 drivers as well as the newest 29.80 drivers and suprise suprise both of them with different levels of occurence give me the infinite loop error.

9. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Removal of old drivers

Are you making sure there are no reminence of your old drivers before installing new ones or are you just overwriting the old install... You shouldn't get that error with the old 6.xx drivers

10. asafii

asafii New Member

Yes i erased it completely i did the add remove prog and then went into regedit and went into the currentcontrolset and then deleted the video key.And restarted and only then do i install new drivers so i am sure i totally removed the dets but i dont know whats wrong any help would b aprreciated btw i also tried chnging the agp to x4 x2 and x1 as well as side band adressing off as well as nvidia refrence helper service off but none of these things work.

11. asafii

asafii New Member

Hi sorry forgot to mention on those 6 drivers im not sure if this makes a diff but i d/l the win 2000 ones because there r no winxp ones the only option was win9x/me or 2000 and also i downloaded non whql drivers.

12. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Silly question

Is the pci slot next to your AGP port being used? are there other open slots? If it is, and there are other available slots; move the card that is in the slot next to the AGP slot to the next available one.

13. asafii

asafii New Member

Hehe tried that already all i have is a modem card in the pci slot and ive tried it already in two different slots so it cant be that . I cannot understand what it could possibly be also i am sure it is not a faulty card or bad bios settings because in win98se it works fine.

14. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

on which IRQ is your graphics card on? and is this IRQ being shared with any other device?

15. asafii

asafii New Member

My Vidcard is on irq 11 and i have checked and nothing is sharing with it.

16. asafii

asafii New Member

Woops forgot

Wait i actually forgot checked now and it appears that my graphics card is sharing irq with Via Tech CPU to AGP controller but im almost sure that is supposed to be happening.

17. asafii

asafii New Member

here is a list of sharings

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 9 U.S. Robotics 56K Fax Win #3

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro