win2k sp4 or winXP sp2 for benching?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by CDsDontBurn, Apr 27, 2005.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I'm going to reinstall windows later today, and i just wanted to ask you guys which of the two is a better OS specifically for running benchmarks (I'm not going to be playing games, just specifically benchmarking)? I've been hearing that win2k is a much better OS to do so on, and i just happen to have a copy lying around somehwere for me to benchmark my system on. Which of the two would you guys out there run to bench your system?

2. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

i would never go back in time.if all you are doing is benchmarks then you can tweak xp to be twice the os as 2k.

3. nauticus

nauticus Carpcarpcarpcarpcarp

COuldn't you just dual boot for a bit? Both of the OSes use the same filesystem.

4. CDsDontBurn

but why tweak winXP when win2k already has everything disabled by default? My question for me asking which OS is better for benching is because win2k does not use up as many resources as winXP does. But winXP does have a bunch of cool things that i like to use that win2k doesn't have.

EDIT: I forgot to ask. Which of the drivers out there for nvida cards are showing the best scores as of right now? I've already d/led 71.89 officials from nvidia's website, and what i believe are the latest beta drivers (76.50s).

5. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

because xp, even when not tweaked,is 10 times the os of 2k.show me some benchmark scores where xp doent kick 2ks but and you will have your own answer.

6. CDsDontBurn

I still have to re-format. Stuff came up yesterday so i couldn't format yesterday. I should have some time over the weekend to do so though. I will do a dual partition win2k/winXP format and bench w/the same specs on both OSes and see which does best. I will then have my answer :).

7. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

WK2 sucks when compaired to XP, it just has that old out dated feel. Especailly since it's not suported or patched anymore just like windows 98,95 etc....

It only takes like 5 minutes to tweak XP...
    w2k require tweaking as well

8. CDsDontBurn

i actually prefer the win9x/2k look and feel. whenever i do a format, one of the first things i do is change the theme to "classic style". winXP has too much of a Fischer Price look to it. I understand that there will betweaking tweaking in win2k, but it will not take nearly as long as it does for winXP.

9. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

baaa! wk2 official support and updated dropped by MS alone makes the OS "dead"

No more fixes, patches and security updates... ME is the bastard son of 98/NT4,
    who spawned w2k which is NT 5.0, XP which is NT 5.1 but after Sp1 and later sp2 which
    brought about major change utilizing very different code, increased speed performance
    and reliability not to mention sp2 even uses some windows LONGHORN CODE as in won't
    be released until "2006" windows... XP is newer and all around better.. I went from dos 6,
    windows 3.1/95/98/me/w2k/xp and i've never really looked back...wk2 is great for older
    or weaker systems but you lose alot of the new built in support etc XP offers

My computer, right click hard drive, uncheck"allow indexing service..." apply
    control panel, taskbar & start menu, start menu tab, Classic, apply
    (various other options, like deselecting personalized menus & grouping similar taskbar button)
    control panel, system, advanced tab, performance settings, select adjust for best performance, apply
    control panel, display, theme windows classic

for most people done less then 5 minutes....
    looks just like w2k and disables all the shity xp eye candy...
    (that you should have on for lan events etc for "show"...)

For service tweaking loading and inf takes about 1 second there are configs available
    online from sites like blackviper but it best to let them be for those who don't want a
    Head ace later...

I have some apps; downloaded and self made .reg and scripts if I want to do any
    other fine tuneing may of wich you can find on quite a few websites.. I'd made my own chipset driver packs for a little while and all you had to do is start the install, 100% automated...

10. CrapolaJola

CrapolaJola The Great DaK

i didnt look at whole thread but u guys seem 2 hate w2k, he asked about it for benching not a main os and it beats be a tweak winxp @ benching. For pi benching got win2k3 for other benches go win2k

11. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Most of the high scorers in 3dMark01 users use Win2000. But Most of the 3dmark03 and 05 uses XP.

12. CDsDontBurn

well, so far, i have installed win2k on a 10Gb partition, and have been trying to get a stable OC on my rig, but so far no success =\. I've tried 250FSB running 1.55v into my chip, and RAM settings at 2.5-3-3-7 1:1 ratio running 3.4v into my RAM. win2k is just so stable hungry that it's not liking my OCing so far. Imna try some other settings and see what happens with that.

I still have not installed winXP yet though.

oh, and neon, i'm not asking what you like and reasons for why you like it or don't like it, i'm asking what would be the better OS to run benchmarks on.

13. CrapolaJola

you running the samr rig thats in your sig?, if so turn the damn voltage down and that should reduce mem errors a lot

14. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

what ram chips are they? bh-5 or tccd? bh-5 that wouldn't be two high.

15. CDsDontBurn

the voltage in my sig is for my CPU. I do not have the the voltage listed for my RAM. But if you must know, my RAM voltage i had it set to 3.4v. And increasing voltage increases stability, not decreases it. I just finished installing winXP just now, but i'm too tired to run any of the benchmarks right now. And, win2k is still not stable enough for me to run any benchmarks of any kind.

16. CrapolaJola

ddr500 2.5-3-3-7 sounds like tccd to me or maybe some micron. With the TCCD you get loads of errors at higher voltages and thats what the Corsair XMS LL stuff is unless you got it b4 TCCD hit the market, in which case the 3.4v for micron is ok. I'd suggest putting some cooling over ram as they may be causing the errors that f win2k i nteh ass.

17. CDsDontBurn

i think it is TCCD chips, but i'm not sure. I ran Sandra a while back and if i remember correctly, it's windbond chips.

18. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker New Member

In that case, you probably have UTT/ BH5 rather than Samsung TCCD chips..

19. HMS-Dreadnought

HMS-Dreadnought New Member

don't like XP.

Looks like something you find in 'toys 'R us'.

I don't know about after treaking, but Xp has allways seemed unresponsive on my bros P4 3.0Ghz, by comparison to when i'm useing my Win2K AMD1800+ system.

But I don't know about Benchmarks though.

I do know that win 2000 was slower in games on my bros P4, because of the lack of support for multi threading and what not.

But as far as genral use, (open menus, internet, etc) WinXp dose seem slugish and un-responsive compared to Win2k. I find it irritating. But perhas that has been fixed withteaks ? , I don't know.

All in all, winXP just sucks, period. regardless of performance benifits. And if 'Longhorn' is heading in the same direction, I can only imagin it looking even more 'Fisher Price' :( :D

20. Ryuujinx1

Ryuujinx1 New Member

Menus are Sluggish? Than theres a registry tweak for it. My friend is running a nearly identical system to mine except his has a Radeon 9600 in it and a 3.2 P4.

His Gaming is fine, majority of the time he can throw it on hi and be fine.

Windows XP's "Eye Candy" can be disabled or better yet actually made to look better (style XP)
    Win2k seems like such a downgrade i almost have to cringe when using it.
    The OS is dead and XP is better for benhing in my opinion, but hey thats just me.

(Or you could drop windows and Get linux, Gentoo makes it so everything is the way you want it.)