Win32k.sys BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Uxot, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Hi,Ive got this BSOD from quite a while now,since i got my HD7970 back in september..first one was very bad so i had to RMA it,now got this new one no actifacts or any problems...now im lost on what could it be..

1.When i switch my main monitor to 1 --> 2 theres an BSOD with win32k.sys STOP 0x03B error code,does not happends always but often when i switch main monitor..

2.yesterday i was closing my computer and right before it was about to close down theres that BSOD that appears with a new error code i attached the picture of it.

i did the scandisk thing and it made some repairs nothing changed..updated the BIOS and the BSOD is waay less frequent theres was also a yellow warning in device manager that i managed to fix (SM bus controller was missing its driver)

theres a warning about the AMDA00 Interface but searched google and people says its no big deal since its for the A.I suite GUI (i dont use it)

i guess ill be testing RAM/HDD soon..unless its my HD7970 again? :sigh:

oh also went back to 13.9 AMD drivers instead of beta.

Attached Files:

• BSOD.jpg
      BSOD.jpg
      File size:
      146.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

In most cases a BSOD is driver related.

You say that you've had this problem since you got the 7970. What did you have before that? Have you completely removed previous gfx drivers after you uninstalled them?

I would suggest that you try and update all hardware drivers just in case.

That's the easy part. If this doesn't help the next thing I suggest is RAM. You should do an over night test with memtest86+ and see if you get any errors.

3. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Well i had an HD6870 and never had any issue with it,used Driver Sweeper/Cleaner to remove any trace of the 6870 drivers... (in safe mode etc) ill test RAM in the next days meanwhile ill look if theres any drivers update for the motherboard.

4. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Well meanwhile i did some random access in HD tune Pro and the result is..my C seems slower in access time?

(my C is on the left...right is E my games i have that are not on steam)

see attachment.

oh also my C is making noise when working (aka testing it in HD tune pro) but its nothing to go crazy about,no clicks but seems to be deeper sound..

EDIT:added bench screencap

Attached Files:

• C_E.jpg
      C_E.jpg
      File size:
      235.2 KB
      Views:
    • Bench.jpg
      Bench.jpg
      File size:
      238.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Well dunno how to make the "Spoiler" thingy to hide too much text so here we go Blue Screen Viewer Logs:

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If you're hearing a deep sound when the C: drive is working, AND, since it seems to be working slower than expected, that tends to make me think that the bearings are going bad. That's what bad bearings begin sounding like as they go bad. The clicking you refer to is usually the disk getting hit.

What is the HDD temperature during the testing?

7. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

umm i think it didnt move really...but need to re-test to see..this BSOD is starting to piss me off....gonna test ram in the next days..

8. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

I ran Memtes86 for 4 hours 4 pass no errors..

9. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

10. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

well since i dont get alot of replies i did more google search and disabled hardware acceleration in firefox,people said it was causing them this BSOD...will see if BSOD happends again..if BSOD again i saw there was a bios update again for my mobo and new drivers too so gonna test that.

11. Dyre Straits

Have you disabled the Restart on System Failure option in BIOS? If you do this you will get a better bit of information about the BSOD you're getting.

12. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Heh? my PC dont restart when a BSOD happens..it just stays here until I restart.

13. Liqourice

Just thought about one thing. Since this started happening after you got a new gfx card I wonder if it draws more power than the one you had before and your PSU isn't quite delivering what's needed?

14. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Well i dunno its plugged properly pretty sure a 750 watts is enough..

15. Liqourice

If it's healthy it should be but I'm just throwing out ideas here.

16. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I would have to say that your whole problem is Driver Sweeper. I've had bad experiences with it and AMD/ATI cards in the past, and even AMD says not to use it as it can cause a whole lot of problems, everything from corrupt registry listings to left over files that keep loading. Even if you put back the AMD drivers the issue can persist. There's a couple things you can try:

1) use System Restore to go back to a point prior to running Driver Sweeper, not necessarily when you uninstalled the AMD drivers, just when you ran Driver Sweeper (or any other 3rd party driver cleaning software). If it means going back to when the ATI drivers were still instaledl, then so be it. At that point just use the AMD uninstall tool within "Programs and Features" (think it's still AMD or ATI Catalyst Install Manager), reboot, and reinstall the drivers again.

2) uninstall the AMD drivers, reboot, then run a registry cleaning/checking program (you could use CCleaner, but I'd recommend against it as it can cause just as many problems, see HERE for other options). Wait for it to finish, reboot, and reinstall the AMD drivers.

On a side note, the other thing to try would be to update your ACPI driver (should be on the drivers download page for your motherboard under "Utilities"). Try the latest one, or the one dated June of last year. This was suggested to me by someone on another forum, but it has only worked once for me out of the 3 times I've run into this situation. All other times I've had to go the System Restore route, or a complete reinstall (never tried a system repair, though it might be worth trying).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  17. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Hmm weird ive been using driver sweeper/cleaner for quite some years now...another thing if i system restore it will be like aug/sept. :S the most recent restore is january 14..anyway so..

Since i disabled hardware acceleration in firefox i spammed monitor switch with firefox open and didnt happend once yet...im also planning soon to change my noisy C Drive..and your saying now that we dont have to use any driver cleaner utility anymore when updating driver?

Well if it happens again i will try stuff you said then ill report back here,thanks again!

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

IMO (and experience), driver sweeping/cleaning programs are a last resort, for when the normal uninstaller fails. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix clients machines after having run a similar tool.

The problem with Driver Sweeper is that it's known to remove chipset drivers, or at least components of, and/or individual files that are essential to the system. It's also known to delete files it shouldn't even be touching. The worst is when you use it on an AMD chipset driven motherboards (God help you in that case). The tool has gotten better, more "smarter", but it still has a tendency to mess up.

One tool to keep an eye on would be DDU, or Display Driver Uninstaller. It works similar to Driver Sweeper, but it seems to be less... troublesome. Again, though, I'd only use it as a last resort, or maybe when switching from AMD to Nvidia, or vice versa.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  19. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Woah..ok..

20. Dyre Straits

When the next version of AMD drivers comes out, try what I've been doing for years: Simply run the installer without doing any uninstalling at all!

About the only time you need to uninstall is if you're going back to a previous version for some reason or another.

The newer AMD drivers come with their own Uninstaller these days...when you need one. When you feel you need to uninstall, simply open up Computer, click on the Uninstall or change a program option at the top of the page.

Look for AMD Catalyst Install Manager.

Start that and select the option you want from the list. NOTE: There IS a warning for anyone using an AMD based motherboard/processor system to Not use this or to use it with caution. This is precisely for the reason that Tipstaff mentions about an uninstaller removing chipset drivers and such. If you ever use an AMD system and use the default setting, it does have a tendency to remove motherboard/chipset drivers.

But, also, like Tipstaff says, avoid the Sweeper/Cleaners from 3rd party vendors to be safe.