Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I had no issues with the upgrade at all (Even though I did bypass the wait till it's ready reservation)

The only things that were needed to install were the windows 10 NVidia drivers (it just installed the standard vga drivers)

And the odd game via steam just add a install as though it were opened up for the first time.. but no game saves have been effected.

So far I prefer win10 over 8.1, which now can be used without installing sart8.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Here's a question: anyone here working with Symbolic Links, and has done the W10 upgrade? I only use them for my Steam folder, so it's not a big deal if it falls apart, but still.. would like to know if anyone has had issues with SLs and the upgrade.

3. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

no wonder Microsoft are giving it away for free Windows 10 is a steaming pile of dog sh!t ... it is even worse than Windows 8 ... back to good ole Windows 7 Pro

geared towards buying apps, Renting/buying Dvd's and Music via their online store then their is the small matter of most of my bought software does not work, my creative fatal1ty titanium pro does not work and no Windows Media Centre ... thankfully I had my image backed up and was able to go back to my Windows 7 pro via my acronis boot disc in under 10 minutes

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Can you elaborate about W10?

5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Ok i had one issue that just popped up none of my emails in outlook 2010 were sending but receiving was ok .... ran sfc /scannow found and fixed 2 errors and all sorted

6. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

wasn't just my sound card got error messages about my Asus drivers for my Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe mobo every time I booted up .... I just don't like the feel of it feels like windows 8 only worse

7. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I do so frequently, exactly for those reasons.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I took the leap from 7 Pro x64 to 10 Pro x64. Was pleasantly surprised to find my user account and Desktop kept intact.

9. Dyre Straits

I got the cumulative update a few moments ago. And, when I clicked to Restart Now, I got my first memory error message. I didn't take the time to write down the error but it was a write error, IRRC.

10. drwho

drwho Active Member

Just wondering....... Would it be better to go with the the ISO image of Win 10 for my computer, or just wait for the notification from MS that I can begin my upgrade from 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

Also, which is better to do, clean install or upgrade?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Dyre Straits likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

If you want the free upgrade, you need to choose the UPGRADE method. I chose the ISO option and, once you put that into the drive, it will prompt you further as to the process. This is also the option if you want to keep your current programs and settings. Once you do the upgrade, you THEN have the option to do a CLEAN install without having to pay for it.

12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I made some symlinks on my laptop before upgrading to Win10. After upgrading they still function so that's a good sign.
    Out of interest, why do you use symlinks for Steam?

Tipstaff likes this.
  13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

What error messages?

You have any idea how old the machines i've been installing windows 10 without a single error?

14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I tested updating on my Laptop, Acer Aspire 5553G. Updating went well, of sorts. I had to turn the motherboard gfx off to make it use the discrete Mobility HD5650, this means I will probably never get switchable gfx on it, unless AMD releases the Legacy drivers for the motherboard 4250 for W10 which I doubt. So, I will have battery issues from now on with it. And, it takes forever to boot it up. 4-5 minutes until it's finished with everything. That's way to long.

I guess I'll just wipe it and reinstall W7 again, I can't live with that.

15. Tipstaff

Legacy issue. Even though you can have multiple Steam folders/libraries now (think it's been an option for the last 2-3 years or so, right?) I've had issues with a few games not working right if they aren't installed on C: (I think Shogun: Total War was one). Thing is it wasn't viable to keep those games on C when I was using the smaller SSD, so doing a Symbolic Link for them made more sense (using Steam Move). Even though I have the 1TB SSD now I just left things alone.

16. Tipstaff

Post edited by user:

DoNotSpy10 removed link. POS.

Looks like this is adware in disguise, so I've removed the link.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  17. Tipstaff

Microsoft Personalized Ad Preferences page

I think this is only relevant if you are logging into an OS with an online log in, not a local account, but in any case you can use this page to turn on/off personalized ads for any Microsoft product (Windows Phone, Windows OS, Xbox.. you name it).

18. Dyre Straits

I just got a prompt to Disable Apps to Improve Performance.

Sooooo, I disabled Microsoft OneDrive. ;)

19. Dyre Straits

I'm getting this error message on any attempt to Restart the PC. I thought, at first, that it was due to having my USB Memory Card reader connected. But, I disconnected that and am still getting the message. Any clues?

Windows10-ErrorOnRestart.jpg

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I upgraded today. Only issue was wrong bios setting for the secure boot mode.