Windows 11 available on October 5

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by MIG-31, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

1: AMD's CCC is full legacy now, if you're running an old video card that is based on the HD6000 and older, the fact that it's running in windows 11 is considered unsupported. AMD's adrenaline is another matter that is being worked out as amd's developing an "app based" version of it that looks and operates the same but is more integrated into windows seamlessly, so it's likely to move over, much like how realtek's control panel function is now an app in windows 10 and now 11.

2: Can't say i ever pinned a document to a task bar or heard of anyone doing this.

3: The vast majority of my customers preferred the startmenu being completely clear of pins, zero pinned apps or anything, they wanted their start menu to appear more akin to prior OSes. Anything they wanted pinned was pinned exclusively to the taskbar.

4: usb drives don't normally auto open to begin with, and often usually due to security measures with several infected usb drives auto executing when auto opening. If you performed a clean install then it's normal, if you did an upgrade install, chances are it reset to defaults.

Overall in the end, All windows 7, 8.x and 10 and now 11 is, just an upgraded version of vista, much of which is gui changes and some underlying stuff "under the hood" so to speak. Until a MAJOR kernel change happens, we'll still be running essentially the same OS for the last nearly 15 years.

Microsoft needs to get off their ass and build a new kernel and OS from the ground up with fundamental changes like they did moving from windows 9x to NT and then again from NT 5 to NT 6 with vista. We should be seeing a pure x64 OS, with zero 32bit native support, Basically only x86-64 supported along with ARM 64 support out of the box as a unified OS. Then using virtual PC/sandbox, be able to launch and install legacy 32bit applications that run ENTIRELY in a secure self contained environment for each application with support for basically 16bit and even 8bit applications, dos, etc. Basically they should be able to give a user the ability to actually run in sandbox whatever windows OS is compatible. Give those "windows xp/95/7" drop down menu options legit modes that run entirely in a protected secure sandbox environment. It's not like they don't have the technology.

This way the ONLY applications that are running in real mode on the primary OS are pure 64bit and comply with IMO strict guidelines and approvals so to speak.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Running a Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA NITRO 8700XT and its all working ok just could not instantly find the CCC in right click like normal but found it under the show more options of the right click menu .. just MS adding extra steps to get to things that usually took 1 click

ME ...I have a daily diary that's a word document that sits in the doc folder in Win 10. I pinned it to the quicklaunch bar and every morning just launched it and updated as needed then closed and saved, I found it dead handy just because I used it loads, I will miss it but hey ho

I do miss the Quicklauncg Toolbar

It took me quite a while to leave my Start10 menu and embrace the Win 10 default menu (probably only the last 18 months or so) eventually quite liked it and the ability to group items ..sure that will be addressed in an update or 3rd party app

I set all inserted media to open in explorer so I can see what Im installing or what's on the drive (normally videos that need editing or upscaling etc) before anything gets installed or runs, that has all started working again after a reboot or 3

Cant argue with any of that most of my niggles are all about the interface and what I consider to be easier for me V what MS considers to be easier for me

Another odd one is I want to be able to click my pinned Firefox icon and open an new window as opposed to firefox opening the window I already have

in short I miss the Quicklaunch toolbar.

Other than that in all honesty I quite like it and that link you posted made upgrading a doddle.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Judas

So i performed a full clean install of windows 11 on my main machine... started the install without network connection, selected home, didn't put in a windows key, and never had one on this machine to begin with.

Install took about 30 seconds, i just hit the next, watched it proceed to install, glanced down at my phone to read a message, and next thing i knew the system rebooted.

Got to the part where it insisted i needed to connect to the internet, having done something similar on windows 10, plugged in network cable, waited for it to connect, showed the next button, unplugged at the same time i clicked next, was presented with a local account immediately to setup with a name.

Now that i'm in windows, installing what little drivers are required, basically chipset, graphics, and audio drivers is all it takes, even though windows 10 and 11 now install realtek audio drivers right away anyways.

Install firefox, got my 5.1 audio working, got my HDR 10bit 4:4:4 120hz 4k VRR display functioning along with my portrait display. There are a few little things here and there to adjust, i'm a little disappointed there isn't a "disable overflow for system tray". Cleaned up the useless start menu, removed most of the included apps per usual. Adjusted my partition size from max to 10% less for over-provisioning. In the process of setting up the rest.

Aside from the boot times being a wee bit longer, seems all is well.

4. Judas

OH.. i should note.

I've never activated a version of windows on my current machine, there is no key associated with it, didn't perform an upgrade prior.

The Media creation tool created usb shows that i've a legla digitally activated copy.

Seems free windows installs are on the menu boys

Mr Cairo likes this.
  5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

6. Mr Cairo

Encountered my first "maybe windows 11 related maybe not Bug" this morning, Running Windows in extended display with workspace and taskbar on monitor 1 and my editing on Monitor 2

Cold booted windows to a totally black monitor 1 but 2 was up as normal, rebooted and as the PC booted monitor 1 would show the device input source a couple of seconds after boot and then all black so I knew the monitor was getting a signal and power

Switch HDMi for differenty cable etc short story 3 reboots and nothing

4th attempt both monitors worked just fine and 6 cold boots in a row all working

Dont know why but for 4 boots of the OS nothing from the desktop was outputting to monitor 1 and now all is sorted

dont think it was cable related just not getting a signal to 1 ... AMD Driver or OS I have no idea TBH

7. Judas

there have been even on windows 10, numerous displays not coming out of sleep/standby or refusing to properly handshake over HDMI in the last month or so.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

Yeah I seem to recall Dyre having a similar issue a while ago (I think) but this is not coming from sleep or standby though, I always do a full shutdown overnight and cold boot in the morning, this was new for me.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Mostly it's been an issue coming out of sleep. But, on the rare occasion, the cold or reboot results in one screen coming up black. Usually, pulling the cable and re-seating it will result in a proper signal....sometimes doing it a couple of times.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Mr Cairo

yeah thats what I had and first time ever, this only a week after installing 11 made me think 11 is to blame but no problems since that initial one.

11. Mr Cairo

Well sorted one of my bugbears with the OS and after a quick and easy regitry entry I have IMHO a much more useful right click menu back.

Image1.jpg

IvanV likes this.
  12. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Do share... I use right-click a lot, and what I have seen about right-click has been disappointing so far...

QB

Mr Cairo likes this.
  13. Mr Cairo

Ok open Regedit

Navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID

Right-click CLSID > New > Key, and paste in {86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}

With the new key you just created highlighted, again right-click > New > Key, and paste in: InprocServer32

Double click InporcServer32 and then hit Enter without typing anything to change its value from "Value not set" to a blank box.

Close and Reboot

should be it

QB71 and IvanV like this.
  14. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This will be helpful. The Right Click menu options have become quite annoying. Having to "Show more..." is a PITB!

Mr Cairo likes this.
  15. Mr Cairo

Windows 11 will allow to now remove unwanted apps like MS News, Xbox App, Automate, MS To Do etc

Remove, Remove, Remove, Remove .... Now that is much better

Windows 11 cumulative update "oh you removed all them handy apps ...lets just put them all back for you"

Remove, Remove, Remove, Remove FFS

Why do they never learn :(

16. Judas

windows 10 allowed you to remove the exact same apps.

it's been that way since windows 8.x and in fact if you want to roll back, since windows 95a arrived, they were making it default to install a number of applications that most people didn't necessarily want under "typical" or "full" installs.

Windows 98 amplified this, and windows xp was rather filled with some nonsense, the thing is, most people weren't aware of it as they were often located under sub folders in the start menu.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  17. Mr Cairo

I was aware of that just don't understand why if I am able to remove then and choose to to so why does windows insists on putting them back.

18. Judas

wait.. putting them back?

What do you mean back.. The only time they would return is if you were upgrading from say windows 10 to 11... that'd be normal since it's restoring or rather installing the new things as part of the upgrade package.

19. Mr Cairo

I upgraded to Windows 11 last week and removed the usual unwanted apps like Xbox, Paint etc as I always do .. yesterday there was a cumilitive update available after that was finished I noticed in the start menu that the apps I mentioned were all back so I went through uninstalling them again

Before you ask yes I had definitely uninstalled them after the initial upgrade I always do

Yes they had definitely been reinstalled

and yes I thought it was unusual

20. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am so glad my CPU is not worthy enough for Microsoft to run the beast, the savior of the world, that is Windows 11. Because if it did this to me I am afraid I would just format the drive, construct a Death Star and blow up the planet.

God I miss Atari's TOS and Workbench.

Current OSes treat you like they are an abusive control freak spouse/rapist.